Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC++ and Warez etc

• 23-08-2004 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I am sorry to have to start a new thread on this, but DC++ has been open discussed here on many occasions as is bittorrent. we do not mention the obvious uses of bit torrent or DC++ cause we know the problems these can create for boards etc, but why do u assume its related to this!!!!

is some trying to throw around some power??????????

i dont normaly make statments like this, but i am extremely angry at the fact my previous thread was locked even thought i all i did was ask a very simple question.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I aggree, locking the other thread was a bit extream. i was just bitching on irc about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

take a hint and find somewhere else to discuss it. :(

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Don't take it personally.

Boards.ie is sort of a legal entity, and someone (not neccessarily you guys) talking about illegal shít can land someone else in trouble.
    "This isn't a democracy, at best it's a benevolent dictatorship" - DeVore

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Both Bittorrent & DC++ have very legitmite uses and untill otherwise I can't see any issues with asking some questions regarding it,

Its like saying we can't talk about CDR or DVDR drives because they can be used to pirate software/films/etc or that we can't arrange LAN partys because software/movies could be trated over the network at the LAN party.

Also Irish DC++ servers were talked before on boards and the address of the server that was setup was even part of a number of people's sigs for a time

While from a legal position I can perfectly understand boards.ie's stance on the matter surely its worth a discussion untill its proven otherwise?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'd be intrested to see how many legitamate examples you could find for DC++ :)

In any case, those discussions are off topic for the broadband forum anyway. Nets/Comms, windows or the computers forums would be more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moriarty wrote:
    I'd be intrested to see how many legitamate examples you could find for DC++ :)

In any case, those discussions are off topic for the broadband forum anyway. Nets/Comms, windows or the computers forums would be more suitable.

The BBC have used Bittorrent in the past for distributing audio files.

Most Linux distributions these days use it to alleviate server load. Which, by the way, was one of the the original purposes of Bittorrent, a means of distributing files without putting 100% of the strain on a single machine. Its a form of distributed computing that has unfortunatly been hijacked by the warez community.

As for DC++, I have to agree with the closing of the original thread... I don't see how that can possible be used in legitimate circumstances.

You'll notice I didn't mention bittorrent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Moriarty wrote:
    You'll notice I didn't mention bittorrent.

Yes I noticed this, DC++ while it can be used for legit uses is alot darker then Bittorrent but it still can be used for sharng legit files such as the new'est release of Knoppix etc
    Bittorrent on the otherhand is certainly more widely used for sharing legit files lindows.com even use it for sharing out its OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

True, but the OP did. The last thing we need is to see a perfectly good system bogged down to the same levels as the likes of DC++, Kazaa, etc.

Interesting to see how a thread got closed for asking for the Irish DC++ link, yet its still listed here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I use DC++ to get all the latest freware apps... I dont like waiting in queues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I think locking a thread for asking for a url is a bit harsh ... but I can see that the moderator wants to keep a lid on threads that may stray into illegal areas but my feeling is that the thread should have been allowed to continue until such time as a transgression occured ...

Or can we expect that you wont allow bittorrent related sites to be mentioned (despite bittorrents egalatarian beginnings it is now used far more than DC++ for wrongdoings) ... there are torrent sites that get more than a million hits a day, wouldnt say the same the same about DC++

hmm don't know about that now
    DC++ is very popular in Sweden and other countries
    Its harder track then Bittorrent also

Any linking to - or talking specifically about - warez, irregardless of format or system of distribution will result in the editing of post/closing of thread/banning of user/hunting down user and gouging out eyes depending on the phases of the moon or other suitably vague and ultimately random system.

Instead of inching towards the line trying to find who can post the most obvious links to Quake XII, avoid the discussion about warez altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Ok, i was justing making the point that this subjest has before on more than one occasion been discussed on boards and on the broadband section.

i understand the problem of warez and been linked to these, but i was just asking a question i know has been aswered here before, but jus could not search for since u cant search for a short word as dc++ which the search engines shows as just dc!!!

It probably shouldn't have ever been mentioned here to begin with.

Irregardless of that, asking for links is as bad as providing them.

Advertisement