Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi colts??

Options
  • 23-08-2004 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying a Colt 1.3 model.
    Looking at a 97/98 model,,, just wondering what these cars are like.
    I assume there pretty class, being Japenese and a low mileage one shud be good for another 4/5 yrs? The one im looking at is a Jap import, high spec with Air con.

Is there anything in particular i shud look out for, with a Jap import?

And what are they like to insure, do insurance companines like/load them?

Anyone have one, care to give me some feedbk?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

rander00 wrote:
    Im thinking of buying a Colt 1.3 model.
    Looking at a 97/98 model,,, just wondering what these cars are like.
    I assume there pretty class, being Japenese and a low mileage one shud be good for another 4/5 yrs? The one im looking at is a Jap import, high spec with Air con.

Is there anything in particular i shud look out for, with a Jap import?

And what are they like to insure, do insurance companines like/load them?

Anyone have one, care to give me some feedbk?
    thanks.

I have a 1998 1.3l Colt, my first car so maybe I'm not the best judge, but its been very good to me so far. Insurance - standard 1.3litre rates, I've been told that some insurance companies charge more for colts, but never experienced this when I was getting a quote myself.

Great on petrol, I get from Cork to Dublin and back on a tank, thats about 17euro each way I think.... not sure with the current price of petrol, probably a bit more.

I've had mine for about 8 months and the only trouble I've had is a puncture... can't blame the car for that. Feedback from others I spoke to when I was getting this car is that they dent easily; I've never bumped it so I can't comment on that.

In fact, the only real downside I have noticed is the seatbelts which are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Colts aren't a bad motor at all, but it is hard to tell what the competition is as it is halfway between a mini-hatch (e.g. Ford Fiesta)and a full hatch (e.g. VW Golf). Nippy engine, but the body work is quite thin.

I would be wary of an import however - you probably will pay more insurance, and Mitsubishi are unlikely to service it. Also, it is much harder to find out its history. If you are buying from a dealer, insist on a decent warranty. If it is a private sale, get it checked out from wheels to roof, and do your research about who will service it, what it needs done and if it will cost extra to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I have a 1999 Limited Edition Colt.

Fantastic car - never had any trouble at all with it. Even left it out in Dublin airport car-park for 2 weeks during the winter - came back and it started like the engine was already hot =)

My insurance is about the same as for any other standard 1.3. Would highly recommend buying one to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Illkillya wrote:
    In fact, the only real downside I have noticed is the seatbelts which are ****e.

Whats wrong with your seat-belts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Friend of mine is selling a 97 one he's asking near 7 for it but would settle for 6 or less for a quick sale, she's clean as a whistle with a full bodykit, alloys, bucket seats .... etc.

its in autotrader this week too pm me if your interested

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Farls wrote:
    Friend of mine is selling a 97 one he's asking near 7 for it

OMFG, worth around the €3k - €4k range I would have guessed and not cheap even at that :confused:

How about a similar car albeit with a 1.4 liter engine, quote from the Buy&Sell:

Nissan Almera '97. 55k mls, black, s/r, e/w, perfect cond, quick sale needed, Price: €1,000 Contact: 086-8436969.

That seems to be more reasonable for a 7 year old low mileage small car...

What's your budget, what limitations do you have for engine size, etc. Post up here and people here will surely come up with suggestions / advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote:
    OMFG, worth around the €3k - €4k range I would have guessed and not cheap even at that :confused: QUOTE]

But, but, but, it's got a bodykit and bucket seats :rolleyes: When will people learn that you'll never get the money you spend on bodykits back, a good bodykit will rarely increase the value of your car, but a bad one will sure as hell kill it. I know a few people who've paid over the odds for colt's because they thought they were holding their value because of the prices people were asking for them. Needless to say they were all very disappointed when it came time to sell them on. €4k would be the absolute max anyone with half a brain would pay for a 97 colt in a private sale and at that it would have to be immaculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

"QUOTE" Friend of mine is selling a 97 one he's asking near 7 for it but would settle for 6 or less for a quick sale, she's clean as a whistle with a full bodykit, alloys, bucket seats .... etc.

its in autotrader this week too pm me if your interested "QUOTE"

Are u for fooking real???? 7000. I dont want a crappy little bodykit or "bucket" seats. And at that price i`d say it`ll be in the auto trader every week. Garages are looking for 4.5 - 5000 for a 97/98 colt with warranty.

E7000,,,, thats a good one. 4500 max assuming low milage.

alias no.9 wrote:
    unkel wrote:
    But, but, but, it's got a bodykit and bucket seats :rolleyes:

Yeah this quadruples the value :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

7k for colt :D
    maybe look in buy and sell

MITSUBISHI COLT '98, 1.3, Irish Car, Usual Extras, Boot Spoiler, P/S, Met. Green, Just 51K miles, Very Well Maintained, With Service History, NCT till 07/06, Alarm, €4,550 PH

UUUUHHH it has a boot spoiler ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

unkel wrote:
    How about a similar car albeit with a 1.4 liter engine, quote from the Buy&Sell:

Nissan Almera '97. 55k mls, black, s/r, e/w, perfect cond, quick sale needed, Price: €1,000 Contact: 086-8436969.

That seems to be more reasonable for a 7 year old low mileage small car...

hmmm...interesting...u just pick one at random or do you know more about this car\seller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I'm planning on selling my colt '92 round Feberary .. how much do you think I'd get for it? Its in perfect nick ... twas my moms before me and its been serviced every year of its life .. has alloys and cd player. Tires only put on it last year. Hate to sell it ... just cause I'm leaving the country.

*sorry to thread hijack*

Scruff wrote:
    hmmm...interesting...u just pick one at random or do you know more about this car\seller?

Picked at random - look for yourself in buy and sell

Sheesh, some people got out the wrong side of the bed today.

The colt is a very good car at holding it's price and this is an excellent example of one that this lad is selling. Styling etc, when done correctly does add genuine value to a car.

Maybe you don't like cars that have been kitted up etc, ok thats your opinion but there's lots who do. You normally get what you pay for, if a car is advertised in auto trader then normally it shows that it has actual value, people aren't afraid to pay the money to get a pic in and show it in its glory.

Buy and sell just a few lines of text for nothing....they don't call it the knackers bible for nothing.

Big difference between an Almera and a Colt too.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Farls wrote:
    Buy and sell just a few lines of text for nothing....they don't call it the knackers bible for nothing.
    There is nothing wrong with cars from buy and sell but you have to know your cars. Learn how to read between the lines and how to avoid real scrap cars o skips with bucket seats.

I think you are one of this people that prefers to spend more money for the same car, thinking that is better to have 3 months warranty from local cowboy which just clocked your spotless car.

Gmodified wrote:
    I think you are one of this people that prefers to spend more money for the same car, thinking that is better to have 3 months warranty from local cowboy which just clocked your spotless car.

Think again!

Farls wrote:
    The colt is a very good car at holding it's price

At that price it will be holding it's owner as well :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

trade price for a 97 Colt is about €3500, with a bodykit and all that crap it's probably a grand less, unless it's an imported Colt Cyborg in which case it's worth whatever the muppet buying it will pay

Anywhoo they are great cars, I had one several years

Advertisement