Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

game to play with insurance companies

Options
  • 23-08-2004 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

This is a good game. Ring up an insurance company, tell them your details, right down the quote, then ring them up 5 minutes later, make sure you get a different person and give them the EXACT same details and it will be different, then keep doing this and the trick is when to say you will take it :)

I rang them on behalf of a mate and got a quote for 1,160 ... said thats great ill just say it to him and confirm it and will ring back, then half hour later rang back to take the quote, gave them the same details and it was 1,240 then said i got it for 1,160 but she said she couldnt give it for that so just out of curiousity i waited a day and rang them again and got 1,120 ... and took that, see its a great game, i coulda been greedy and rang again and see if its lower but then it coulda went to 1,500 haha

do they have a randomise button? or is it different sales people have different commisions? like they see on the screen 1000 and they can add what ever they think they will get away with ontop of that and thats what they get paid for that policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Unless you're giving different details each time this will not work because they keep a record of all their quotes so once the name, address, DOB, car, cover etc, the computer will just pull up the quote you got first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I dont think so Alias, I think whatever quote is generated can be used. You will get a ref number so you can keep ringing back and use whatever number you wish. As far as I know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you can ring them back alright with the ref # but it would still have incorrect personal details. Also if you read the small print of a policy, it says that any fibbing and you are on your own. I would imagine that they can tell you to f off based on this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

kbannon wrote:
    if you read the small print of a policy, it says that any fibbing and you are on your own
    But he said he gave the exact same details?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

if he gave the same details then it should come up on their system... this is what happened when i went to get quotes off quinn direct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

cormie wrote:
    I dont think so Alias, I think whatever quote is generated can be used. You will get a ref number so you can keep ringing back and use whatever number you wish. As far as I know.
    Unless you've got a really common name, once you give them a name and date of birth and they enter it in their computer, they'll pull up all your details. I'm just after doing my annual ringaround and most of them have my details up on their screen within seconds even though I've never had insurance with many of them, just got quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

If you have had a policy with them then yes they have your details, but if you havnt then they dont, they have a ref number alright.

Sure when you ring them for a quote they ask your name, age (not date of birth) and the make and year of your car, not the reg. So theres 4 million people in ireland, and id say about 1million cars? im just picking that number outa my head tho, so saying your name and age they wouldnt be able to pull up your name out of all the people who have ever rang them :)

I gave the correct and EXACT same details each time to the EXACT same phone number so it wasnt like a different branch and each time it was different quotes.

since ive said this to some mates they have had the same experiance. they get a quote while ringing around then ring back the insurance company with the lowest quote and the qoute has gone up or down.

God bless ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote:
    once you give them a name and date of birth and they enter it in their computer, they'll pull up all your details. I'm just after doing my annual ringaround and most of them have my details up on their screen within seconds even though I've never had insurance with many of them, just got quotes.

Yes can confirm this. Not all of them, but most store all details of all previous quotes they gave...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Id be very surprised if any of the companys deleted data on customers, even if it is just a quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I've worked in Quinn Direct.

The way it works is a database is kept with everyone that contacts them details, whether it be on the phone, just a worked doing random quotes or over the net.

Whatever is entered onto the system stays there, the only thing that can be deleted is the little notes that accompany the file, like say you keep ringing in like paul is then a note commenting on this might accompany the file.

The search is done by your name, then your DOB to clarify

unless you change your details the operator will see all your previous quotes on the system.

The price of insurance changes every day, so some days your lucky some days your not!

Farlz

Btw paul whether you had insurance with them or just rang up about a quote the file they keep on you is the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

I presume they can keep any information on any interaction you've had with them in the past - up to the limits of the Data Protection Act, of course. Just thinking - does that give you the right to ask them to delete your record? Not sure why you'd want to, though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The whole data protection act thing basically says you can ask to see everything any company holds on you and also to have them remove the data. A lot of companies however when asked to remove your details remove only your name and 1st two lines of your address. your DOB and area and other things like male/female remain for marketing purposes.
    This is slightly illegal but i guess no one really has any way of knowing which details belong to who.
    2 companies i worked for took this approach. Scum.

Advertisement