Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Modem - - Lost Internet Connection Sharing - - Help!!

• 23-08-2004 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi,

After blowing up my modem during a recent lightning storm, i purchased a new Etec one. My old modem, was a zyxel prestige 630, supplied to me last october and using the old fashioned log on to broadband setup (double click the shortcut, enter your username etc.) This made ICS very easy...as i simply shared the connection.

With my new modem, however, it is a real always on system...no connection icon etc. (a router)

My question is....how do you share a connection like this with another PC in your house??

Any help, much appreciated

Netbeatz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You haven't named the model of the router you bought, so I don't know whether it has a switch built into it or not. I'm guessing that previously you were using the old modem on the USB port and using ICS to share it over a crossover cable to another machine?

If the router has multiple ethernet ports on the back, you can just hook each one into a different machine. If it doesn't, you can but a cheap 10/100 switch and plug all the machines (including the router) into that.

Zab.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

What i bought is a Etec USB ADSL Modem.

To configure it, i have to log into http://10.0.0.02 and setup my connection from there.

Is that a router or a modem? lol...I am not as familiar with broadband as i should be.

All i know is, i switch on the PC, and its on....simple as that.

Now i got to figure out what i can do

Netbeatz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pretty much the same way, tbh.

regardless of what type of connection you have (dial up, ethernet, broadband etc) you will have a list of all your network connections here.

do you have windows xp?

if so go to start > connect to > show all connections and right click on your new internet connection, and choose properties.

click on the advanced tab, and below where the tick box is for the firewall, you should see your ICS settings. there you go.

the other way is to run the network setup wizard on all your PC's, and choose 'This computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect through this one [sic]' then choose the option below that on all the other PC's in your network.

if you have your netwokr set up just how you want it though, don't use this option as it might mess things up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Thanks for that, Vibe!!

Works perfect...i never thought about just sharing the Local Area Connection...

Anyhow, thanks again!! :)

Netbeatz

Advertisement