Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on other cars?

Options
  • 23-08-2004 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I have TPFT insurance with Quinn Direct, and have been told I have something called "3rd Party Extension" (or something similar), which means I can drive on any car and have 3rd Party cover.
    Does anyone know if there are restrictions or catches to this? It doesn't really sound right - I could drive a much bigger car than my own and be covered on it. In theory I could buy a cheapo 1L car, get insured on it, and then drive another better car and be insured on it also...
    Speaking to the very bored-sounding girl in Quinn Direct the only catch I managed to find was that if I had Fully Comprehensive I would only get 3rd Party on any other car.
    Does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

fwk wrote:
    I have TPFT insurance with Quinn Direct, and have been told I have something called "3rd Party Extension" (or something similar), which means I can drive on any car and have 3rd Party cover.
    Does anyone know if there are restrictions or catches to this? It doesn't really sound right - I could drive a much bigger car than my own and be covered on it. In theory I could buy a cheapo 1L car, get insured on it, and then drive another better car and be insured on it also...
    Speaking to the very bored-sounding girl in Quinn Direct the only catch I managed to find was that if I had Fully Comprehensive I would only get 3rd Party on any other car.
    Does anyone know anything about this?

The other car you are driving must be insured by another party (although your policy is covering the 3rd party insurance) and can not be a motor trade vehicle (rental car etc).

So, you can't buy a 3 litre monster car, and use the insurance on a Suziki swift to drive it unless the bigger car is insured by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ask them to put it in writing so that you are covered in case they change their terms when you try to claim, it is quite a common extra on policies. I am not sure about the other car having to be insured seperately (the explanation letter from my insurance company said nothing about that) but it cannot be registered in your own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

John R wrote:
    I am not sure about the other car having to be insured seperately (the explanation letter from my insurance company said nothing about that)

I am pretty sure that the car has to be insured by someone else, otherwise your 3 litre car could be registered in grannies name and you could drive it with your 1litre insurance...

Advertisement