Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National lottery to upgrade all machines to DSL

Options
  • 23-08-2004 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Just got a notice from the national lottery at our newsagents that they will be upgrading all lotto machines in the country to DSL connections in the next few months. Depending on location, shops will be connected to the Eircom or Esat network. We have been allocated Eircom.

Anyway whats the bets that not one of the shops(lottery agents) will fail the line test!! :D:D I'm sure Eircom will go out of their way to fix lines for their corporate customer(lotto) whereas if poor joe soaps line fails its a case of tough luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

80% of the State (by Land Area) has no DSL and no planns for any

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This could be potentially good for the average consumer... If Eircom have to satisfy their corporate customer and enable some far away areas, then people who previously couldnt get BB may well be able to!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This could be potentially good for the average consumer... If Eircom have to satisfy their corporate customer and enable some far away areas, then people who previously couldnt get BB may well be able to!
    I won't hold my breath! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Im not too far away from a rural shop at least 7 miles from an exchange in cable terms. How will they manage that? IF they do upgrade the line to there mine might be upgraded aswell cos we are connected to the same black cable. I won't get my hopes up though.

Just after thinking, the same problem for the local school will occur which is even further away. That is, of course, if the government goes ahead with the broadband for schools initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I believe that some of the remainder of the machines - maybe all - are coming off frame relay and going onto GPRS ...

• Advertisement

GPRS is a Mobile Technology and will be supplied by O2 and/or Voda and/or Meteor ..... not Eircom.

The National Lottery has run over analogue lines into frame relay nodes since the Mid 1980's .

It shows how rotten the Copper is that the National Lottery cannot rely on analogue dial up any more . What happens where GPRS and DSL are not available ...... the collective mobile networks "Do Not Guarantee Indoor Signals" over about 20% of the land area of the state.

Are we to infer that a technology with no guarantee of coverage is more reliable than Analogue lines that fall within the ambit of the 0k USO that we all think is so cool about Ireland.

M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah whats the point?
    Its not like its going to give everyone the results faster
    seems like a massive waste of money tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They could be having problems with reliability at the moment for all we know.

The original National Lottery systems dialled into banks of 9.6k modems , these were retired in 1994 and replaced by a 19.2k system . It seems that the Eircom network cannot reliably support 19.2k and that GPRS which runs at 33k on a Good Day is a more reliable alternative.

We are , as always , the E-Tub of Europe :(

M

Advertisement