Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlton Palmer to join Dublin City!

• 23-08-2004 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=140791546&p=y4x79z4x9&n=140792489&x=

Former England international Carlton Palmer is to sign for Dublin City on Wednesday, the club confirmed today.

Manager Roddy Collins will complete the signing of ex-Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday midfielder in the next 36 hours and Palmer will go straight into the Vikings squad for Friday night's game at Drogheda United.

City are currently rooted at the foot of the eircom League, seven points adrift of next-placed St Patrick’s Athletic.

Collins, who has released 15 players and added seven more in the last nine days, said he thought Palmer, 39, was the perfect choice lead the Vikings out of relegation trouble..

“Carlton is a class act and he’s still very fit,” Collins said. “He has lots of experience and I’m delighted to have signed a player of his calibre. I know he’ll make a big impression here at Dublin City.”

Palmer made 645 senior appearances at seven different English clubs and won 18 England caps, which included appearances at the 1992 European Championships.

Whatever about his age, its only good for the EL when the worst team in the league can attract an England international.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Whatever about his age, its only good for the EL when the worst team in the league can attract an England international.

Gotta disagree with ya here Eirebhoy, bringing over ancient has beens from the UK was something which regulary happened 20 years ago. This is a massive step backwards for the league.
    Rumours have it Chris Armstrong is gonna sign for Waterford United soon as well, fingers crossed he doesn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Lets face it he was pretty useless in his day ..... and that was 12 years ago, so I can't imagine he'll be bringing much to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Where are Dublin City getting all this money from? Roddy's gonna spend them into bankruptcy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Where are Dublin City getting all this money from? Roddy's gonna spend them into bankruptcy.

From what I hear from a former home farm invester who is not on the board of ATFC, they are already pretty much bankrupt.

Maybe little brother Micky is giving him some pocket money?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Carlton Palmer was probably the most useless twat ever to wear a Leeds shirt. He was slow, awkward and had no idea what to do with a football when one landed at his feet. And this was at his "peak". I can't believe any LoI club could be so desperate as to want to sign him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Roddy is very good at getting into the papers etc etc it would not surprise me if this was another one of his "stunts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Pigman II wrote:
    Lets face it he was pretty useless in his day ..... and that was 12 years ago, so I can't imagine he'll be bringing much to the league.

Thats just crap!

In his day he was effective!

Not pretty to watch, and perhaps not very talented, but he was a grafter, and when he played, he did the hard yards & made the tackles and let other play pretty football. The fact the he played for his county shows he did a job for his club, and did it well.

He was very well repected by his fellow players who know how hard he was to play against, etc. Without a grafter you get a team like Real Madrid last year, who have lots of talented players, but no character as a team!

Now at the age he's at, i have my doubts as to whether he can still cut it, but to say he never did, is just ill-educated rubbish!

X

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who's Dublin City? (I've been away for a while).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

waste of money, cant see him delivering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Dublin City were formally known as Home Farm and Home Farm Everton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Roddy Collins was on late night talk on 98FM the other night talking about this. He was mentioning another ex-premiership player that he was hopefully to make an announcement on by 1pm yesterday (Tuesday). Anyone hear anything about this? He wouldn't give away much detail except that the player had significant premiership experience and was 34.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Shearer , although he is 33 . :p

Big Ears wrote:
    Shearer , although he is 33 . :p
    Is that a guess?

robbie1876 wrote:
    Is that a guess?

no why ?

Dublin City have signed Shearer? Any linkage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Yes and gullible isn't in the dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dublin City were formally known as Home Farm and Home Farm Everton

Now known as Continuity Home Farm :D

DapperGent wrote:
    Yes and gullible isn't in the dictionary.
    Heh, I must learn to express my sarcasm more clearly. Anyone want to offer a non-guess as to who the ex premiership player is?

robbie1876 wrote:
    Heh, I must learn to express my sarcasm more clearly. Anyone want to offer a non-guess as to who the ex premiership player is?

awh but guessing is more fun :p .

Big Ears wrote:
    awh but guessing is more fun :p .
    I guess Gazza then! That's only just slightly more ridiculous then your guess... :D

• Advertisement

robbie1876 wrote:
    I guess Gazza then! That's only just slightly more ridiculous then your guess... :D

he's 36 and player/manager of Boston United (no not in America for any dumbass's out there) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

He is actually player/coach

Someone like Robbie Mustoe or Curtis Fleming would be more likely

Big Ears wrote:
    he's 36 and player/manager of Boston United (no not in America for any dumbass's out there) .
    Dublin City would be quite a career move for him then!

I can't find anything on the web, so I'm going to presume whoever Roddy was talking about didn't come through. Also, Carlton Palmer is up on Dublin City's site, but no mention of any other new signings since then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

robbie1876 wrote:

It could be Gazza,the thing that would swing it for Dublin City is that there are loads of good pubs and take aways around tolka park :D .

Advertisement