Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of renting out flat what do i need to do?

Options
  • 23-08-2004 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I'm off to collage in scotland and family wants to rent the flat that used to be a garage that i currently live in. know nothing about what needs to be done can someone give me a kick in the right direction? do we need to register as landlords or can we just put up an ad?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, you need to register with the local council. It will need to meet certain standards of habitability.

The income should be tax free up to about €7,500 per year (including all bills) under the rent-a-room scheme (assuming the ex-garage is attached to the house, if it is separate, it doesn't qualify). See www.revenue.ie

Perhaps get a standard lease from a legal stationers or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

the garage is seperate from the main house, the builder "says" it meets all required planning regulations.
    Perhaps get a standard leadse from a legal stationers or similar

don't know what you mean here.

have looked at the revenue website and i can't make any sense as to where to start :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

ok have found the info on the rent a room scheme but i can't find any info on any other type of rules governing the renting of a flat. any help would be welcome.

thanks
    Trebor

Advertisement