Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MP3 front loader

Options
  • 23-08-2004 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a second hand car. It had a 6cd changer in the boot which wasn't working so the garage are getting me a new one.
    I would prefer an MP3 player as it is handier than changing cds in the boot and uses less cds.
    So I have a couple of questions.

1:How much does a new cd changer cost, coz I am wondering if I could sell it and then buy an MP3 front loader.
    2:Where is the best place to buy one?
    3:If I put a front loader mp3 player in car would I be able to use the cd changer in boot to read the mp3 cds?

Any help appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi. I suggest you keep the stereo you have now. It will have AUX in since connected to a CD changer and I suggest you get a Hard Drive based mp3 player. This way you will have loads of albums to choose from and The sound will be directly from the MP3 player to your AUX in and out through the speakers. It's allot easier than having to burn MP3 cds and what not. As far as I know, your cd changer wont be able to read mp3 cds. this is what you want. The very top item, the iRiver IHP 140. It's the best portable jukebox you can get and that's the cheapest place to get it:)

This is what I'd definitely go for.

If you don't choose this option and you are getting rid of your current stereo, please let me know as I would like it because it has the AUX connection. Currently I use a tape connector for my IHP in the car. Works fine but would prefer AUX.

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I would highly recommend getting an mp3 player head unit,Bought a Panasonic one there about 3 months ago and have'nt looked back.
    I can fit about 8 albums on one CD,plus you get the added bonus of getting the track title/album title displayed on the screen(nice touch)
    One thing that can be overlooked aswell is that the antishock on most of these players is amazing.Mine also has a remote and a line in to plug my
    I-river into(yet to buy the latter,damn expensive kit!)

It only cost me €270 from Komplett.ie ,unfortunetly they don't do these products anymore.

They're very common now and u should be able to pick up a fairly good one for anything between €250 and €400.

Places like Argos ,and any decent motorstore usually stock them ,that said I would'nt dream of shelling out my hard earned cash to some overpriced shop,only to get a bog standard player.Do yourself a favour and order online.
    eg. http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/,
    http://www.caraudiodirect.com/ (not sure about delivery to ROI)

As for your question about the cd-changer, you wont be able to play mp3 cds in a standard changer, you'll need to buy one that specifically plays MP3's.
    Would you consider what I'm doing maybe,get a cheap 20gb mp3 player and use the line in(make sure the head unit you get has this!) You'll never be stuck for tunes in the car again.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you want to buy within Ireland, you could try www.besecure2000.com they've a pretty big selection of ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Buy outside Ireland. The cheapeast mp3 head unit I found was the Panasonic CQ-C1300A for €151 delivered from http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CQC1300AN
    it is €230 delivered from http://www.besecure2000.com/
    and €190 from Argos.

Although a standard boot changer will not play mp3 cds a mp3 head unit from the same manufacturer will most likely be able to control the standard cd boot changer.
    Not all head units that can control a cd changer will take an external source, if you want to use a mp3 player check the manual first.

You can also get HDD Head units but they cost a fortune, and you can't take them with you outside the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

or if u wanted u could do something similar to the bmw pc on www.mini-itx.com dont know how much u would get for the cd changer, but its an idea also look at www.mp3car.com for some ideas hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

if ya check out ebay theres loads to choose from!!

I got mine there and never looked back!!

I think you can play mp3s in a boot changer with a mp3 headunit!!

I have both but aint been goin anywhere recently that I'd be listenin to a lot of music to need mp3 in the changer!!

will try tomorrow and let you know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Thanks all for suggestions. Don't know what i am going to do. Keep suggestions rolling. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

smokey2 wrote:
    I think you can play mp3s in a boot changer with a mp3 headunit!!
    QUOTE]

Only if the boot changer is mp3 compatible, and if it is the head unit doesn't need to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 T_D_I

I'd advise buying an ipod plus an i trip (a wireless fm broadcaster) and a cup holder - you sit the ipod in the cup holder tune the itrip into the clearest freq and away you go!

buy stateside if you can major savings plus the itrip is only availible over there,i got all 3 in the US last xmas for 380euro which is alot cheaper than the going rate for an ipod alone over hear.

plus you have the added advantage of arriving at your mates parties and taking the ipod/itrip in with you and tuning the stereo into the same freq and instant music all night long

I'd can't speak highly enough of this option-mail me if you've any questions ok

T_D_I wrote:
    I'd advise buying an ipod plus an i trip (a wireless fm broadcaster) and a cup holder - you sit the ipod in the cup holder tune the itrip into the clearest freq and away you go!

buy stateside if you can major savings plus the itrip is only availible over there,i got all 3 in the US last xmas for 380euro which is alot cheaper than the going rate for an ipod alone over hear.

plus you have the added advantage of arriving at your mates parties and taking the ipod/itrip in with you and tuning the stereo into the same freq and instant music all night long

I'd can't speak highly enough of this option-mail me if you've any questions ok

I think this is the best idea, it's the same idea as mine but I'd go for mine as the I-trip is not reliable for transmitting in some areas of the country etc. The AUX in will always work and it will sound allot better. Also, don't get the ipod, get the iRiver IHP-140. Much better than IPOD (FACT). You will also be able to do the whole connect to mates stereos but with the IHP you can connect using optical cable (also normal cable, tape deck and fm receiver) I'm using the IHP system in my car and it's great. Will cost you about $400 max (including buying an old mobile phone airvent connector holder which fits IHP perfectly across from Millets in that shop that sells everything, they are near the till on the left). 800 albums at the touch of a button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I have a Sony cdx-8800 im trying to sell at the minute, motorised front, mp3 cd and all that laugh. Drop me a pm if you wanna talk.

cool i dont know if the i river is better though!

TDI, it is better in every way but style and design. Not saying the design is bad but the Ipod does look better to most people. Feature/Price/Functionality and every other which way it beats iPod hands down. There are loads of threads which I have argued this, just search for iRiver and you will probably come across a few. Even if you do pick the iPod, this idea is still the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

You seem to know a good bit about the iriver, did you get it over here or in the states... reason i ask is im going over to NY in november,wouldn't mind picking one up.

I actually got it in Harvey Norman because at the time it was the cheapest place to buy it in the UK+Ireland and safest bet because it's an Irish store and not online or overseas. You will pick one up much cheaper in the US I'm sure. I don't know the best place now but it used to be amazon.com for the US. worked out at about €300

Im not gonna argue,to each his own and all that-but the ipod works for me.but its defo the best option fook CD's!

Thank god, not in the mood for battling the iRiver Vs Ipod thing again. Yep, Screw the CD's bud. HD based players are the way to go for the next 2 or 3 years I'm sure.

I think he's probably frogot about this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Hi all,
    I am still here. only thing not sure about using HD based players is that I would be using a lot of batteries and batteries cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

are you sure? most have internal rechargeable batteries - each should last for two years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I have the new Sony CDX 5000 XPLOD series boot changer with head unit - both mp3 compatible......delighted with them !

• Advertisement

Have my ipod a year now,and battery still flying,anyhew you can power it via a cig lighter charger,so even if the battery dies you still have power (although only inyour car!)

Yes, you will be able to use your cig lighter to connect power source so you can connect your HD based player to it. You will never be without power. It will also keep the battery on full so if you arrive at your destination and have a bit of a walk, take out earphones from glove comparment, detach HD player and stick it in your pocket. iRiver has MUCH better battery than iPod just to let you know.

Advertisement