Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Want to Repeat...but

Options
  • 23-08-2004 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I now want to repeat this bloody thing.

I got 455, but this only gave me my 6th choice, Economics in UCD.
    TBH, I thought I'd get more, and I will be viewing a number of scripts, but there's no way I can make up 30 points to get Economics and Finance for 485 and little chance of getting an extra 15 for commerce (470).

Neither went down on the second or third round last year.

I must confess I don't know a huge amount about this Arts course. My arrogance lead me to believe that I wouldn't really need to look into my 6th choice.

Since I was expecting more, I now really want to give it another go and get it right next time.
    Of course my parents don't want me to repeat. They say I'll be too old entering uni (I'll have turned 20) and that I might not actually get the points next time. Of course I know the real reason, it costs so frigging much (e5,400 in the Institute).

BTW isn't it irritating to see all those smiling happy people on the news? :D
    Well done to all those who are happy with their offers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

you dont have to go to institue, depends where you live but you could do a VTEC(i think) school and repeat there. heard an add on spin the other day for it.

your better off repeating, then doing a course and dropping out after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You could also do a year in the uni and apply to transfer into first year of your favoured course.

You could also just repeat 2 / 3 subjects (English & Maths or something) and that would be added onto yoru tally (the difference between the scores now and next year)

Did you apply for any diploma's?

damnyanks wrote:

You could also just repeat 2 / 3 subjects (English & Maths or something) and that would be added onto yoru tally (the difference between the scores now and next year)

eh you cant do that!

your not allowed carry your points over from a previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Sure about that? I know a lad in my class had failed english and resat it. Said the points were added to his leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

He probably needed a pass in English as a prerequisite, but his points from the other year were counted for entry. Can't imagine that you'd be allowed to chop and change.

• Advertisement

i repeated and i didnt get my points added! so as i said, its problay just the pass he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Of course my parents don't want me to repeat. They say I'll be too old entering uni (I'll have turned 20) and that I might not actually get the points next time. Of course I know the real reason, it costs so frigging much (e5,400 in the Institute).

hehehe Dude if it makes you feel any better I'm 25 and I'm about to start my leaving cert year with the view to go on into uni. That'll mean I'll be 26 going in, older than most coming out!
    Age thing doesn't matter at all.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

you dont have to go to institue, depends where you live but you could do a VTEC(i think) school and repeat there. heard an add on spin the other day for it.

Hey Chucky, how did you find repeating? Doing it in a VTEC (or is that VTOS?) school would be perfect, but I do plenty of minor subjects like App Maths, Spanish and TD (Eng Option), so I'm guessing the institute would be one of the few places offering those choices. I'd rather not start a whole heap of new subjects over the course of a year. Also I know some people who will be going there. Maybe I just want my cake and eat it too eh???
    damn yanks wrote:
    You could also do a year in the uni and apply to transfer into first year of your favoured course.

That sounds good. Not sure how that option works though...?
    DrummerBoy wrote:
    hehehe Dude if it makes you feel any better I'm 25 and I'm about to start my leaving cert year with the view to go on into uni. That'll mean I'll be 26 going in, older than most coming out!
    Age thing doesn't matter at all.
    ;)

Hey that's brilliant. I know age means no difference at all, trust me it'll probably work more to your advantage in the end. It's just a bullsh*t excuse that my folks are using. You should have seen them squirming tonight trying to convince me of the merits of taking this course. Almost worth all the hassle I tell you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

you should definitely look into internal transfer. if you do a course with similar subjects to the one you really want to do, then ya should be okay. i dont know about ucd but i know someone who transferred from business and languages in dcu to general business studies - despite the fact that the general business degree covers more business topics, as the other one is a joint business/humanities degree. i reckon give ucd a ring and have a chat with someone.

~ isolde.

Advertisement