Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clondalkin

Options
  • 23-08-2004 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

HI guys,

I'm pi**ed off at paying rent for the past 10 years, so I'm thinking about buying a house - but I'm limited to about 175k. the only place I could afford would be Clondalkin, up near Liffey Valley (or Neilstown, which I'm kinda avoiding) I know its not the best place ever, but I'm tempted to take a risk.

I want to buy a house, not an appartment - I'll need extra rooms to generate income from rent.

Anyone got any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Not being rude but your more likely to get a house for €175k anywhere but Clondalkin - perhaps Tallaght, Ballyfermot, etc. Try the County Council affordable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Talk to the county council about affordable housing. I know someone who got a new flat in Inchicore for around that price.

Maybe think about finglas west, corduff, jobstown also.

Trying not to be snobby in this reply :)

Personally I wouldn't. I would prefer to spend money on renting a room in a nice area than on buying a house in a not-so-nice area. Don't know about your circumstances though.

Don't know about houses though. Don't bank on renting out rooms in areas like you mention though - people generally prefer to rent rooms in nice areas.

Have you thought about buying jointly with a girl/boyfriend / friend / relation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

Yes, I agree with the “Snobbery” line – but hey! its got to be said!

affordable housing is a lottery - not much hope for a single guy - plus I would like to be in a position to rent out a room to help with the mortgage, but it can get tricky when you are doing the affordable housing lark! I’d also like to be in a position to sell/trade up after a few years – this is also tricky with the Affordable housing.

I know what you are saying about renting in a nice area, but I have been doing that for the past 10 years. I added up the amount of rent I have paid to fat-cat landlords a few weeks ago and it frightened the crap out of me – try it!! Its been over 10k for the past two years alone!

Ballyfermot is out of the question at the moment – nothing worth looking at under 200k

Its really a toss between Clondalkin, Jobstown and Coduff at the moment, and I think Clondalkin is winning out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

don't know clondalkin that well but it would be my preference out of the areas you mention. When you drive around blanch you can kind of tell the dodgy areas by the look of the place, same in tallaght, but i didnt notice at as much in clondalkin (maybe because i've never really been round there).

The area at the back of liffey valley doesnt look too bad. Maybe someone who knows the area could comment more.

What about hartstown? that too pricey?

and no offence meant to anyone who lives in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Affordable housing tends to be allocated based on housing needs. Therefore if you can rent out a room, you are buying more than you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement