Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid damn mini metalers - part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Joey is not a fantastic drummer... He's mediocre at best.

Honestly, check out a few of these bands:

Opeth
    Arcturus
    Arch Enemy
    Vader
    Decapitated
    Emperor
    Behemoth
    Immortal
    Exodus
    The Haunted
    At The Gates
    Death
    Spiral Architect

Each of them are far better than Slipknot altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Slipknot are nothing close to goregrind!
    Honestly, try listen to Pig Destroyer and tell me with a straight face that Slipknot are goregrind.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    As for Joey from Slipknot being an amazing drummer, I just don't get it. Is it just the shock that a nu-metal band has two bass drums and a drummer that knows how to use them? He's talented, but there are others who just wipe the floor with him and then squeeze him out (eg: Ken Owen of Carcass)

And while we're on recommendations: Arcturus, Carcass, Cryptopsy, Celtic Frost, Death, Morbid Angel, Opeth, Emperor, Zyklon, Exhumed, Testament, Myrkskog, Iron Monkey, Sleep, Cathedral, Obituary, Type O Negative, the list goes on...

derrylahan wrote:
    fuk i'm not rich
    where am i going 2 get these cds?

Nobody is telling you to buy anything. There's many other ways to listen to music without buying it. Now, I'm definetly not suggesting that you download mp3s illegally, because that's very bad, but just about every band nowadays have a song or two up for download off their website.

Go check out www.behemoth.metalkings.com and download some of their mp3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

i have heard these:
    Opeth
    Arch Enemy
    Decapitated

i think they are great bands but
    well its hard to explain the feeling you get when u hear a slipknot song
    its like you dont want hear licks beacause it will stand out and take away from the overall music instead of adding to it

eg people = sh*t
    that song is crushing throughout even through the bridges

buy their dvd disasterpieces (since u seem to be loaded)
    instead of buying an album to see what their like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Angstastic.

• Advertisement

You really seem to think I've not heard or seen Slipknot before... I've heard all their albums, and I even owned Iowa at one time, but sold it off again. I've seen the DVD, and I've certainly no intention of wasting money on it, I'm far from loaded.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you to stop listening to Slipknot in favour of other bands. At the end of the day, I'd far rather listen to them than the latest Christina Aguelera single, but there really is far better out there in terms of Metal. If you've heard Opeth, Arch Enemy and Decapitated, you'll probably agree that each band are far better musicians than Slipknot, on both a technical level and a songwriting level.

Anyway, why don't you give a listen to this: http://www.behemoth.metalkings.com/Downloads/as_above.mp3
    Try give it a few listens and get into the groove of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i would reply with an insightful and meaningful post about the state of representation "metal" gets in the vibrant hub of temple bar but i have to go to wash my linkin park underpants and slipknot socks.

(actually i love slipknot but they're an easy target)

i would download the mp3 only my connection is embrassingly low (18.6 kbps)
    but i will sometime -

mick thomson of slipknot is a brilliant guitarist, dont believe me?
    check out - http://www.line6.com/media/spiderII/video/slipknot_mick.wmv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Look if you like Slipknot then just listen to them..... you don't need to get anyones approval and you certainly don't need to try and convince other people that they are good.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ok, you like songs with energy do you? Have a listen to the following...

At the Gates
    The Haunted
    Decapitated (first album)
    Children of Bodom
    Soilwork
    In Flames (early stuff)
    Fear Factory (Demanufacture)
    Testament
    Cryptopsy
    Iced Earth
    Dark Angel
    Meshuggah
    Morbid Angel (Anything before Domination)

If you like fast drummers have a listen to the following...
    Morbid Angel - Opening of the Gates, Day of Suffering, Enshrined By Grace
    Mayhem - Crystalized Pain In Deconstruction
    Decapitated - Winds of Creation and a load of others
    Cryptopsy - Slit Your Guts
    Dimmu Borgir...

You should find a few of those bands easy enough to get into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

derrylahan wrote:
    yeah i'll check out those bands,

btw slipknots live shows are second to none

Pffffffffffffffffft! You obviously haven't been to very many live shows. I just had to laugh at their "performance" (because it certainly wasn't a gig, that requires some music) supporting Metallica in Dublin in June.
    derrylahan wrote:
    i think they are great bands but
    well its hard to explain the feeling you get when u hear a slipknot song

Not really, it's like a little thing in your head saying "Either take me away from here or close your ears"

Listen, I for one am sorry that you take offence that we call you a mini-metaller, and to be fair, I would generally say mini-metallers are more fond of Avril Lavigne/Linkin Park/POD, but since you're only 16 and probably wear a hoodie all the time, you're going to be called a mini-metaller anyway. (If you don't wear a hoodie, then you might get away with it :) ). Either way, it's a lot better than being a sham, like a lot of 16 year olds from Derry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Everyone needs a starting point in metal/rock when you first get into it. I was luck, my older sister had decent taste so the first albums i ever heard were Metallica:ride the lightnin, Faith no more: The real thing, and some ramones album i forget.
    But 90% of teenagers just listen to sh!te so they can fit in with thier mates and whatever. Talk about how technically impressive linkin parks rapping is or other such bullsh!t. Its when you get a leeedle bit older and start listening to bands based on wether or not you like them as opposed to wether your friends like them that you get half decent taste. Fact of the matter is sure these nu-whine bands are trendy as hell, but its a better starting point than listening to DJ Darndale.
    I listen to pretty much anything and everything now cause i like it, not cause its trendy or what the other kids are doing :rolleyes:
    Ie:
    Type o negative
    Everything metallica did before black album
    Joy division
    Failure
    Burzum
    Slayer
    Anathema
    Meshuggah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I must agree that slipknot are definatly not goregrind and nothing close to it, more of rap/rock.Since we've understood most of your tastes, if you are into slipknot etc I know a band which is quite like them : Shadows Fall. I have heard alot of their songs and tbh I feel they are a better band than Slipknot but are along some of the same lines as Slipknot.

And Vader's live shows demolish Slipknot's shows and in general Vader demolish Slipknot.

Dathai wrote:
    I must agree that slipknot are definatly not goregrind and nothing close to it, more of rap/rock.

rap/rock???????
    1 song (spit it out) and their considered rap/rock? def not rap/rock

i not from derry btw

as for clothes i couldnt give a fuk what i wear, i do wear hoodies sometimes but i'd wear a fukin wedding gown around if i had 1
    but out of a matter of interest what do true(?) metal fans wear around?

actually now that i listen to decapitated, etc, i suppose joeys not as greatest drummer around as i thought,
    i suppose i thought his drumming made him one of a kind,
    but his drumming is better then lars and nirvana(my friend siad daves drummin was great so i checked it out and i didnt even compare to joeys)

and i dont think my friends influence my music choice because thier into dance ****e and i'm the only one who like anything with a guitarist in it,
    but my drummer, likes the knot, slayer, chimiara, maiden, etc
    he def doesnt influence me,

so basically i listen to my music because i like it, def not fukin trends

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Before we go nuts here, let me remind you that Joey's drumming paled to Lars' in terms of professionalism and timing, which basically makes drummers in live performances. I noticed Joey fall out of time whilst trying to show off too much whilst Lars never seemed to lose his time.

As for Mick Thompson being a great guitarist, he's good. He's a GOOD guitarist. Not great. He's just pedalling what's been done to death. Ron Jarzombek would make Mick cry and give up on guitar. Spastic Ink have quite possibly got the 3 best musicians I've heard. As well as this, Mick being good on guitar doesn't mean Slipknot are good. He doesn't get to show how good he can be in SLipknot, so it has no bearing. Sure, there's 2 talented musicians in the band, but their talents are utterly wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Is your refrigerator running? Because if it is I'll bet it runs like you. Very homosexually.

It has to be said that captain Brannigan does have the best lines in that program...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If ya like the music and it makes ya feel good then who gives two tosses what mister musical elite thinks imho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Some girls always get what they wanna wanna
    All I seem to get is the other other
    This won't last for long, not forever
    And the champagne makes it taste so much better better

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

It has to be said that captain Brannigan does have the best lines in that program...

ehh.. i believe that line is from family guy....

anyway.... theres a lot of stuff being thrown around thats very inaccessible.

Arch Enemy (esp. "wages of sin") should be a very good starting point for u, as would some of the peak In Flames stuff ("colony", "clayman")

for something a bit more balls out, try Death (Symbolic + Individual Thought Patterns)

Meshuggah is pretty heavy now, and the odd time signatures they use can be off-putting but once you get into them theyre really an incredible band. check out "Destroy Erase Improve"

funny enough today i was walking through temple bar and i saw a little mini-metaler ****-stain with a meshuggah t-shirt (same as one i have, which i had to order, so it didnt ****in come from asha) theyre becoming a bit of trendy band with the "harcore lamb of god loving mosh at a maiden gig" dicks. :rolleyes:

I have a meshuggah t-shirt.Didn't buy it from asha either.Ordered it like yerself.Asha have pretty crappy gear other than the Immortal t-shirts.But the In Flames Carlsberg hoodie is pretty rubbish altogether.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it wasn't the "nothing" symbol t-shirt...I kinda wore that into town today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

nesthead wrote:
    , as would some of the peak In Flames stuff ("colony", "clayman")
    Nah I found 'Whoracle' and 'The Jester Race' to be In Flames at their peak, with songs like Jotun, December Flower, Artifacts of the Black Rain, Moonshield, Gyroscope, Jester Script Transfigured, Morphing into Primal, and The Hive. You really cant go wrong with them 2 albums :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I treated myself to an Iced Earth double CD yesterday. I am officially "Happy out".

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yup, Iced Earth are nearly always a safe buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

If ya like the music and it makes ya feel good then who gives two tosses what mister musical elite thinks imho.
    amen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Why do you want to be labelled?

Im 15, Im a girl and I listen to Killswitch, Opeth, Nirvana, Chimaira, Metallica, Megadeth, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Nevermore, RATM and a whole lot more.What the hell is the point of your thread? Provoking hostility?

Why do you want to be labelled?

Im 15, Im a girl and I listen to Killswitch, Opeth, Nirvana, Chimaira, Metallica, Megadeth, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Nevermore, RATM and a whole lot more.What the hell is the point of your thread? Provoking hostility?

Why do you feel the need to justify yourself with that little list there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Idd spot on karl

If ppl would realise its not who u listen to but how u act at gigs or ure reaction to other ppls taste in music, I'm a bit shocked at the whole attitude of "wtf u know nothing get out, MY FAV band > anything" I dont care what ppl listen to but how they act in gigs is what a judge them on, fair enough recommending bands but just cause there not ure taste doesnt mean they are not good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Listen to what you like.I heartly endorse/recommend Riffi-Banana phone.mp3

Still can't believe the lead singer to one of my favourite bands is a women!! well i guess thats what you get when you ignore everything except the music.Women arent capable of rocking it out in the same way keyboard players cant (in this instance i mean visually, their music is phenomenal).

pfft unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hmm metal 101 right here am I rite!!1

Oh hay, I recommend

Iced Earth
    Messuggah
    Opeth
    In Flames
    Burzum!

Let the kid listen to what he wants, it's not like you all have quintessential tastes in metal. I keep seeing the same 5 bands mentioned over and over again.

Advertisement