Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle Bid £20 Million for Rooney

• 23-08-2004 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3592494.stm

Everton reject Rooney bid

Everton have rejected a £20m offer for England striker Wayne Rooney from Newcastle United.
    Rooney has been linked with a number of clubs in recent months, including Manchester United and Chelsea.

But Newcastle, who made £13.4m from selling defender Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid last week, are the first to make a firm offer.

A spokesman said on the club's website that Everton had "turned down" a £20m offer for Wayne Rooney from Newcastle.

Newcastle made their bid despite Rooney still being two weeks away from being able to kick a ball after breaking a bone in his foot in England's quarter-final loss to Portugal at Euro 2004.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd said at the weekend that fans would be "pleasantly surprised at what results from the Woodgate deal".

Speaking to the Sunday Mirror, Shepherd added: "We didn't go into the Woodgate transfer without a long-term plan. All will be revealed soon."

Rooney was thought to be close to signing a new contract at Goodison Park after a summer of speculation over his future.

And the confusion over a cash injection from a Russian millionaire for the Merseyside outfit may leave Everton, who have debts of around £40m, in a delicate position as to whether to accept the bid of any subsequent higher offer.

Manchester United chief executive David Gill said on Monday that making an immediate move for Rooney would be bad for business.

Gill said: "We could go out tomorrow and borrow the money to buy Wayne Rooney for £30-40m but it is bad business to end up with long-term debt for a short-term asset such as a player."

I'd say it's only a matter of time before they get him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Another great move by Shepard, why dont we sell the rest of the defenders and buy Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Totti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

What is Freddie Shepherd on these days??? you just sell your best defender for £15million and have 4 of the best strikers in the Premiership so what does he do...........Makes a £20million bid for a striker.

I cant belive it. Its wasting money on Newcastle's part but Everton should take the money and run.

What Newcastle SHOULD do is buy King from Spurs and if they really want another striker then they should get Beattie for £8million.

Well one of the strikers must be on the way out, hmmm kluivert, bellamy, shearer or ameobi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

In my opinion selling Woodgate for 13.8m was good business, he played something like 37 games out of a potential 128. What’s the point in having a world-class player in your squad if he's consistently unable to play for some reason or another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its not how many games he played in the past but how many games he is likely to play in the future especially this season. He was injured last year, but players do get over injuries. Some are more prone than others, thats for sure, but there are plenty of examples of players that have been out for a season or more and that have come back to play well. Baros for Liverpool may be an example of that. Newcastle needed Woodgates defensive qualities.

Another interesting angle is that many of the players at Newcastle are complaining that Bobby Robson's training style doesn't allow players to get over injuries. It would be interesting to compare the number of injuries at Newcastle over the seasons and compare them to Arsenal, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    but players do get over injuries.
    Maybe Newcastle know something we don't. A few days before Woodgate's injury Freddy Shepherd said he would sell him "over my dead body". He was only supposed to be out for 2 months yet 4 months later he's still not fit. A newcastle reporter on Newstalk said a few weeks ago (well before his move to Madrid) that this injury could really affect his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Robson said on Sky on Saturday that Woodgate wasnt expected to be fully fit until late September. I think, all going well, that he'll make it back and be as good a defender as there is around. But there's also potential for further setbacks and for him to play relatively feck all football throughout his career similar to Anderton and Redknapp. I dont blame Newcastle for taking the money, but they need to find a decent defender (or 3).

I wonder was the Rooney bid just a publicity stunt by Shepherd to show the Newky fans that he really is after big names, but knowing the bid would be turned down. By all accounts Robson knew nothing of it, and is very happy with the 4 strikers they currently have.

Newcastle also had a bid (didnt hear how much) turned down for Coventry's young centre back Davenport. From the little I've seen of him, he looks very good, but obviously unproven. And I'm not sure how happy the fans would be given they've been promised a big name, and that Bramble and O'Brien were similar to Davenport in being from smaller clubs and looking like having great potential, but neither have convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I wonder what is happening up on tyneside?
    Newcastle need at least two proven international defenders.
    And buying a player like rooney is not a good ide. he is still relatively unproven as a consistent goalscorer in the premiership.
    Maybe the move for rooney is just to stop newcastle getting overcharged for defenders. pretending they are after a new big money striker so they don't get ripped off chelsea and Man Utd style!

Who will Newcastle get to replace Woodgate?
    any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

They'll go back to Coventry with a higher offer for Davenport.

Newcastle are going to find it very difficult to sign a big name centre back this close to the transfer deadline. The selling club would either need to be short of money or the defender surplus to requirements.

Sami Hyypia has been mentioned as a potential target. And rumour has it that Benitez doesnt think Hyypia is as good as his reputation. But Liverpool wont sell as they would not have enough time to find a replacement before the deadline (unless they are close to signing a CB and the media have missed it).

Joeseph Yobo of Everton has been linked.

King of Spurs would be an obvious choice, but why would Spurs sell him? And if they were, I'm sure they'd be looking for the full £13m or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Yobo seems to be the best option......Chelsea tried to sign King but Spurs wouldnt let him go for less than 25mil or something and even if they met that price I dont think they where going to sell.......

Davenport would be an option but Forests Dawson is a better player but is out at the moment with an injury!

Also wouldnt put Bramble in the same bracket as O'Brien.....Bramble cost over 5mil and is a disaster....O'Brien cost less than 2mil and is a decent player! just needs someone useful beside him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Heard a ridiculous rumuor earlier today. Apparently O'Shea is going to Newcastle, and in return for that deal, Newcastle put in the low bid for Rooney to start a phoney bidding war in which Utd can then get him on the relatively cheap! B*llox imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Come off it, if Spurs got a 25 million bid for Ledley King he'd be gone in a flash. If they got 6 mil he'd be gone.

As for O'Shea going to Newcastle, Christ I hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dewey wrote:

What Newcastle SHOULD do is buy King from Spurs

Eh, away and sh*te sunshine, Carr is the only defender you're getting off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Come off it, if Spurs got a 25 million bid for Ledley King he'd be gone in a flash. If they got 6 mil he'd be gone.

25 million? Yes.

6 million? You'e having a larf, in't ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

As for O'Shea going to Newcastle, Christ I hope not.

They did get a bid of around 20-25mil for King earlier this season from Chelsea when they where looking for a CB.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Man Yoo enter race for "The Boy Rooney" with a 20 million bidBBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

ffs, man utd and their mind games,
    they know £20m will be turned down.
    newcastle are expected to go 24m tomorrow,
    which we know will again be blanked.

if u want him, cough it up in one go:
    £30m, thank you very much, buy buy wayne.

I think most toffees will be relieved if a £30m bid is taken asap
    and this £20m investment is secured.
    I didn't want him to go but it's a lost cause :(
    Once a blue, always* a blue!

*expires after 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Newcastle have made a bid of £23.5 million(source : Sky Sports) for Rooney .
    Newcastle don't need a striker and I sure as hell don't want Rooney at the club .(this season)
    Isnt it enough players are unsettled already without having 5 strikers hateing each other because they are playing for each others places .

make a bid for Paulo Cannavaro from Parma , £9.6 million thank you very much , Champions League football again .

Freddie Shepard is going to need better security than Bush as nearly every Newcastle fan wants to kill him .

note:that includes me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I wonder if the Man U bid is more the £20million because Everton have just said they have made a bid........they havent turned it down.
    they turned Newcastle's bid down right away.

I think Man U wanted to wait until January to get Rooney but Newcastle have suprised everyone with the bid.

I think Man U will get him but Fergie will be under pressure to deliver the Premiership and/or Champions League because Gill just said its bad business buying Rooney at the moment.so they will want to get there money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

lol at utd with their 20m bid after n'castles 20m bid was rejected. :)

n'castle aren't as attractive as utd, he'd be a fool to choose newcastle over utd, either way he'll have more competition so that will get rid of the superstar image he has at everton.

utd: smith, van nistelrooy, saha
    n'castle: shearer, bellamy, kluivert

30m is too high, 20m is pushing it. id value him at 15-18m. utd have the money, but having learned from veron they'll be reluctant to pay over the odds. n'castle i didnt think could afford 20-30m bids after missing out on the cl last year, perhaps their thinking of offloading bellamy or shearer.

• Advertisement

are you calling Shearer an idiot .
    Perhaps having the second biggest ground in England full once or twice a week means Newcastle are loaded , and Freddie is just stingy .

smemon wrote:
    perhaps their thinking of offloading bellamy or shearer.

They wouldnt get much for shearer, but someone is definitely on the way out.

Healio wrote:
    They wouldnt get much for shearer, but someone is definitely on the way out.

Shepard I hope , maybe we could get -£3,000,000 for him , id take that deal .

I wouldnt say he'd leave, i think Ameobi mite be on the way out, and possibly dyer aswell. Kluivert is going to lose the rag if he doesnt get a start soon.

Advertisement