Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to slipstreaming SP2

Options
  • 23-08-2004 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know where i could get a walkthrough guide on how to slipstream sp2 with my xp install.

with slipstreaming does it install onto your xp disc or does it make a bootable disc from a blank cd-r (i reckon the second option but i'm not sure)

i'll be waiting til the final version of sp2 is out when it's made available to public

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    damn google must be broken again :rolleyes:

and sp2 has been out for a couple of weeks now...

to answer your question;
    you copy the contents of your xp disc to the hard drive, and extract the bootable part of the cd with isobuster.
    you then combine these files with sp2 and burn the resulting files onto a blank cdr.
    just follow the above guide closely and you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Bah! thats the complicated way. Why not use nlite. I used this to make a fully automated disc from my windows CD. Now all i have to do is pop in my windows CD, and press a key to boot off the disc, and i can walk away. When i come back, the windows desktop will be waiting for me. :D Dead easy to use, and supports slipstreaming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Cheers for that Mutant Fruit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nlite_8.png

in that pic the highlighted part can i put whatever i want there or should i use the label they have on my xp pro cd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Put whatever you want - although I'd recommend a descriptive label "XPSP2_Slipstream" or something along those lines. Makes it easy to determine exactly what is on the CD from Windows Explorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nLite is great. Lets you strip down an install completely, and override some settings. I managed to squeeze a 120MB install of XP Pro onto a PII with 32MB RAM. Not very fast, but it was working fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That nlite is class, it's exactly what I've been looking for for a some of my family members. I usually get caught to re-install whenever something goes wrong, now I can just make them a boot CD and tell 'em to put it in and reboot. Nice one Mutant_Fruit :cool:
    I need to re-install my own OS as it's starting to get flakey round the edges, must strip it down with this, add SP2 and give it a whirl. Byebye My Briefcase, Solitare and other shíte games, Stupid search doggy, Outlook express and all the other crap nobody really wants. How did I ever live without this program?

don't you have to keep internet explorer for windows updates yeh?

You don't have to remove IE, you can choose which components to leave out. Besides which, you can always update manually anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

tells me i need the .net framework!?

its 23mb big ...and im not in DSL land...:(

• Advertisement

i think you can install it of the winxp cd you definalately can with xp pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

V 1.0 is on my disc. it needs 1.1. i installed 1.0 and now when i click on the install file, it looks to start up, then dissapears!

just a quick question about slipstreaming sp2

does it matter that xp cd includes sp1?

Cr3m0 wrote:
    just a quick question about slipstreaming sp2

does it matter that xp cd includes sp1?
    No, it doesn't matter at all. You can go straight from and origional windows install to a SP2 slipstreamed install, no need to dump in SP1 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

ok not relevant to slipstreaming but what critical updates are included in sp2?
    like is the OS fully patched up to its release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stevenk wrote:
    ok not relevant to slipstreaming but what critical updates are included in sp2?
    like is the OS fully patched up to its release date?
    Afaik, all critical updates & SP1 are included.

Seamus is correct. All critical updates up to a certain date ( a few weeks ago) are included, and it has all SP1 updates as well.

This is a list of fixes in XP SP2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811113

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

i tried slipstreaming(not using nlite) sp2 onto the xp cd given to me by dell with my comp but it fails due to the fact that my xp cd already has sp1 slipstreamed onto it. any suggestions?

Do Dell supply a full install XP CD or just a companion type CD. I installed SP2 onto my XP tree that I had previously slipstreamed SP1 onto and there was no problem. I did however use Nlite for it.

Thomas, your slipstream should work with the SP1 slipstreamed version.

SP1 slipstream-> SP2 slipstream is supported.

Copy all your SP1 CD contents to c:\WinXP
    Extract your XPSP2.exe update (xpsp2.exe /x ) to a folder called c:\XPSP2
    From a command prompt, execute update.exe from the Update folder as follows:

c:\xpsp2\i386\update\update /integrate:c:\WinXP

This will integrate XP SP2 into your XPSP1 files.

From here, you can create a new XPSP2 integrated CD from the c:\WinXP folder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

And if you want to make it bootable use isobuster to extract the boot image from the orig XP cd and in nero use in in the bootable cd options.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

hey i tried exactly as ColmOT [MSFT] said but it replied in the command window

'update' is not recognised an an internal or external command, operable program or batch file :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Thomas,

Type cd update
    That should bring you to c:\xpsp2\update\>
    Now try update command again.

I've corrected the correct path to the update file.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

OK so i finally have sp2 and downloaded nlite as ye have suggested and it tells me i need the .net framework! I took the bullet and downloaded it from the ms website and have created a slipstreamed cd but i would like to know if anyone knows how to integrate the .net framework into a winxp splipstreamed cd? its just that it would save me the bother of having to setup it up every time i reinstall winxp on my pc! ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

You can't slipstream it mate. there's a few ways you can do this. The most simple way is to have it run at the end of the XP setup with a bat file. Use the /qb switch so it installs quietly with no user interaction.
    Or you could use the svcpack.inf file to have it run too but you'd have to make an IExpress package of the dotnet download package (start/run iexpress)
    I used the Runonceex file meself using the iexpress app. I'll post a guide if you like. No time at the mo.

The Edge could you post up a guide for me so i can do this? it would be dead handy! i have already created an automated slipstreamed winxp sp2 setup cd but would to add this to my setup so that it would automatically install after every install!! Thanks for all your help!

i've only gotten around to using nLite to slipstream SP2 and i've made the ISO file. how do i burn it with nero?

do i make a bootable cd or just normal iso cd?

sorry if this is a dumb question

burn as a normal ISO. the boot info is already in the ISO. I used nero with no problems.

• Advertisement

As mutant fruit said! i went a step further and created an automated setup routine! dead handy! saves me the bother of sitting in front of the pc while i endlessly click next and enter detail after detail! it does it all automatically for me!!!!!! deadly all together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement