Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to slipstreaming SP2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As mutant fruit said! i went a step further and created an automated setup routine! dead handy! saves me the bother of sitting in front of the pc while i endlessly click next and enter detail after detail! it does it all automatically for me!!!!!! deadly all together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't think i could do that as i need to install sata drivers which are on a floppy disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

you could slipstream the raid/sata drivers i'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The Edge could you post up a guide for me so i can do this? it would be dead handy! i have already created an automated slipstreamed winxp sp2 setup cd but would to add this to my setup so that it would automatically install after every install!! Thanks for all your help!

Download NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable. Open command prompt and type dotnetfx.exe /c and extract the files to a folder of your choice. You don't need install.exe, InstMsi.exe and InstMsiW.exe so delete them (more space on cd! :)). I'll assume your running XP so run iexpress (Start/Run Iexpress.exe) and work your way through the wizard......easy. Leave all options as default. Under "Package Title" give it a name.......NET Framework 1.1 in this case, or whatever. When it comes to "Packaged files" add the files netfx1.cab and netfx.msi. Now, under "Install Program To Launch" type msiexec /qb /i netfx.msi exactly as I've done there....important! ;) Run through the rest of the wizard....tick the "No Restart" option too and give the package a filename.....Dotnet.exe or whatever. On my slipstreamed cd I created a $OEM$ folder for drivers and a software folder for apps. I made a .cmd file (or .bat, although *.cmd is recommended)
    I think it will be easier to use the svcpack.inf in this case. Create a "Update" folder in i386 and place the repackaged DOTNET.exe in there. All hotfixes must be renamed to an 8.3 naming format (no more than 8 characters in length). ;)
    Open notepad and type the following:
    [Version]
    Signature="$Windows NT$"
    MajorVersion=5
    MinorVersion=1
    BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
    CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
    DOTNET.exe

Save this as svcpack.inf in the I386 folder. You must delete svcpack.in_ in the I386 directory otherwise Windows XP Setup will not use the svcpack.inf file. ;)
    Give it a try. Any questions ask away.

Cr3m0 wrote:
    don't think i could do that as i need to install sata drivers which are on a floppy disk

Easy enough. Have a gander here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the best place for all your unattended windows needs is here. You will find everything you need to know to silently install your favourite apps. Thats where i found the best info!

• Advertisement

the best place for all your unattended windows needs is here. You will find everything you need to know to silently install your favourite apps. Thats where i found the best info!

Agreed!

Advertisement