Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Galway, anyone?

Options
  • 23-08-2004 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

So who else is going to NUIG? Apparently, i'm doing Financial Maths and Economics, and I still dont have a clue what its about really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ask Smiles. She's going into her 3rd year doing that course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It's my first choice, and hopefully I'll be getting it on second round offers, and going to do Arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Yeah, I'm doing the same course as you Gilzer... I PMed smiles about it back in June, but I never heard anything back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm just one of those ppl who wishes they were going to NUI Galway, but missed out by 10 points :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

SECOND ROUND SECOND ROUND SECOND ROUND....

please God, second round.

For you and me m'dear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gillzer

How many more points do u need in the 2nd round jesjes? What happens if you dont get it?! Heaven forbid, of course.

Dunno, I'm actually gonna check now.

But I've got my second choice already.

[edit]

Yeah, I looked at the points for the last few years....I don't know what to make of it. I dont think I should think about it, just deal with it when the day comes.

[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Me :D
    For Physics & Astronomy.

Does anyone know where I can get information about the course? Like the number of hours a week; that kind of thing?

www.nuigalway.ie

go to prospective students...and look round in there. They generally have an academic yaer calender, I've only ever looked at arts, but I'm sure the rest is on there.

Jesjes wrote:
    www.nuigalway.ie

go to prospective students...and look round in there. They generally have an academic yaer calender, I've only ever looked at arts, but I'm sure the rest is on there.

I finally found a calendar for the Science faculty, and way way down near the end, I think it says that it's 24 hours a week... Then again, I could be completely wrong. I frequently am.

• Advertisement

Cathy wrote:
    I finally found a calendar for the Science faculty, and way way down near the end, I think it says that it's 24 hours a week... Then again, I could be completely wrong. I frequently am.

Ah, sure, the induction week is the 13th to the 17th or something like that, again that might just be arts, you'll find it all out then!

Yeah, for the Denominated Science students registration is on the 14th. Not sure about the introductory lectures, I can only find information for the Arts students...

Jesus, the 14th is two weeks away... :eek:

hahahahaha. I know that feeling.

I got my second choice, [we'll see bout Galway on Friday for the second rounds] and I havent researched ANYTHING for living in Dublin....hahaha. I mean, I could move out this saturday and sunday if I really wanted to. Didn't see that coming at all.

You'd want to get packing Cathy, and boxing up stuff you don't need to put in the attic.

THE FUN STARTS NOW!

Jesjes wrote:
    hahahahaha. I know that feeling.

I got my second choice, [we'll see bout Galway on Friday for the second rounds] and I havent researched ANYTHING for living in Dublin....hahaha. I mean, I could move out this saturday and sunday if I really wanted to. Didn't see that coming at all.

You'd want to get packing Cathy, and boxing up stuff you don't need to put in the attic.

THE FUN STARTS NOW!

Shutupshutupshutup...

*rocks back and forth in the corner*

Ah the best times are ahead m'dear, don't worry!

This is crazy... I mean, I'm only 17. I don't know how to work the washing machine. I can't move to Galway... :confused:

Hahah, that's just terrible. I'm the same though....exact same. I can iron, but not wash. Seemingly its easy though. ;)

Look at it this way, an adventure. Something to look forward to. If you've got accommodation [I assume so] then you'll be fine, sharing with other people, all of whom will be scared shítess, you can be with them!! :D

Really, so much to look forward to! LIKE: college parties/freshers week [getting drunk cheap] new people/studying something you like/love // FUN!!!!!!

Here is the NUIG Students Union type forum [yesyes, I REALLY WANNA GO TO GALWAY] http://www.sin.nuigalway.ie/boards/index.php, it's quiet now, but I can imagine it will be busy soon enough. Look and read bout all the fun things/people you'll be doin ;)

I know, I've been a member since about March or April... I am looking forward to it a lot and I'm well-prepared, ish, but it's just going to be... weird, you know?
    I need to start hoarding socks. My sister's moving to London in a couple of days and she's going to try to steal them all. :rolleyes:

[edit - just found this: http://www.realuni.com/index.php?page=whattotaketohalls]... all this list-making is reminding me of the days before Oxegen :) ]

Weird is the word alright, weird and wonderful!

Going to college is an excuse for shopping, go buy new stuff!! If ye can afford it after teh first moiety that is!

Ah, good oul Oxegen, gonna be LOADS of festivals now....*sigh* I can't wait!! lol

*clicks link*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pythagoras

I'm headed for NUIG to do Physics + Astronomy too...I think its gonna be a small group (around 20) so it should be good craic...I hope!
    Ye all have your accomodation sorted out?

• Advertisement

GAh, that site scares me!! Look!!:::

MUCH TO TAKE

No doubt you've got a lot of stuff in your bedroom. How much are you going to take with you?
    Remember, unless you've seen the hall you're going to move into on an open day, you won't know how big the room will be.
    You can only take as much stuff as will fit in your car.
    A fully-loaded averaged sized car is as much as you should take. My mum took me to Uni in an old Metro that was stuffed full. This was about right for me, though others that could fit in a bit more did (probably wise).

Don't over-do it though. Unless you've got a Mini or a Porsche, there's no point in hiring a white van to bring all your stuff. A car load's worth should be right for your room size. You'll also acquire a lot of stuff over the term, which can prove difficult when it comes to taking it home again!

What to Take

Firstly, you need to separate what you're going to take into two categories; what you really need and what would be nice if there was room.

Once you've filled the car with what you have to take, you can decide what else you would like to take.

What you really need

Let's start with the basics. Print this off and use as a checklist if you want. Also, if you find we've missed anything you think is vital, email us from the contact page.

Bedding
    1 or 2 pillows
    Quilt
    Underblanket (between mattress and sheet)
    2 sets of bed covers
    Clothes
    lots of them

take enough to not have to do washing often
    lots of socks is essential, as they go missing from laundry
    DJ/tuxedo/posh frock and posh shoes for formal dinners
    Party/Clubbing wear
    Sports Equipment (football boots etc)
    School Uniform for School Disco
    Wash Stuff
    toothbrush and toothpaste
    soap/showergel
    all your makeup/beauty products
    Flip Flops
    take lots of soap and get a soap dish, otherwise you'll drop it on the way to the shower and the soap will get fluffy.

Kitchen Stuff

many sets of cheap cutlery, as they go missing very easily.
    2 dinner plates and 2 bowls
    2 mugs
    2 pint glasses
    2 saucepans - 1 large and 1 medium/small
    1 frying pan - preferably non stick
    1 big oven tray - good for lots of chips
    1 wooden spoon for stirring
    1 colander for pasta draining (don't try using the saucepan lid)
    1 chopping board
    1 sharp knife
    Washing up liquid and sponge thing
    TIP: tea towel and oven glove - take these and make sure you keep them safe. Otherwise these will become communal and get ruined really quickly.

TIP: take 2 packs of those sponge things for washing dishes. They will get messy really quickly, so it's good to change round often.

Work Stuff

backpack or bag of some sort
    folders for work
    polypocket things
    well-stocked pencil case
    remember scissors, holepunch, ruler, rubber, pencil sharpener, stapler, pritstick and blutack, and pins
    Plenty of biros
    Loads of dividers for your folders
    Calculator, even if you're doing English
    TIP: Keeping all your work organised is the secret of doing well: Make sure you have a folder for each subject.

TIP: Get the folders at the start of term, and keep it organised from the start. Even if you don't do any work in the evening to start with, make sure you've got all the notes, and in the right order.

TIP: If you have loads of courses at the same time, have 1 folder that you take to classes with the current work in it for every subject, and 1 (more likely 10) bigger folder(s) at home for each subject that has all the other work in it. This way, your work will be kept neat and uncrumpled, and you won't have to carry loads of stuff to Uni everyday. As the folder gets full, move some of the old stuff out and into the folders in your room. This way you only have to carry the stuff you need to University.

Stuff That Would Be Nice To Have

Computer, Hi-Fi, TV, Playstation and other electrical goods

From now on it's up to you. All these things are expensive, and most heavy and big. Make sure you get insurance for the expensive stuff.

1) TV

It helps fill those boring moments, not that you'll have many. It also helps to bring people into your room. Check whether you need to buy a license - they cost a lot of money.

2) Playstation

Fun, but you should have better things to be doing with your time. It'll get people into your room, especially with good multiplayer games, but then you need a TV as well...

3) Computer

Most people consider this vital, and I'm one of them. Let's look at the pros and cons.
    For - you can play dvd's on it as well
    For - you can play cd's on it so you don't need to bring your hi-fi
    For - you might have internet access
    For - you might actually need it for work too.
    Against - it'll take up your entire desk.
    For - what else do you need your desk for?
    Against - if it's not a laptop, they're heavy and difficult to carry up the stairs and will take up all of your car.

Laptop vs Desktop.

If you're going to get a laptop, you don't have to buy the best one there is - as long as it has DVD and a CD writer you should be fine. You can then take the laptop into college and to the library should you need to.

If you're going to get a laptop, make sure you get one of those chainy things to lock it to your radiator to stop it getting nicked, and definitely get it insured.

Seriously, a normal computer will take up the whole room and your entire car. Best to get a laptop and then you can get loads of other stuff in.

4) Hi-Fi

I always needed some sort of music or radio, and quickly went mad without it. My stereo at home was huge, so I got a computer and started using that to play my CD's. Also, I had one of those radio-in-an-alarm-clock combo things too, so I was sorted!

Once again, hi-fis are one of these things that are big and heavy and will take up the whole car. If your computer will play CD's I suggest you do it that way.

TIP: If your going to use your computer to play your CD's, why not rip all your CD's on to the computer using something like Windows Media Player, so that your songs are mp3. This means there's less to carry and less to get nicked. Anyway, how often are you going to look in the sleeves???

The Rest

The rest of what you take is optional, but here's a list of things you will probably need.
    alarm clock
    watch
    radio
    desk lamp x 3 - You may need several of these as old student halls have a reputation of being quite dark. You shouldn't be paying for the electric anyway, so who cares? Get those cheapy ones from a well-known Swedish furniture manufacturer that cost about a fiver.
    Sports equipment - you'll probably feel the need to start playing loads of sport once you get to university. Make sure you've got your football boots.
    Rollerblades if you've got them.
    Frisbees are good too.
    Washing powder
    Bin Bags
    Laundry bag
    Sleeping bag if you've got one.
    Towels
    Posters
    First Aid Kit - plasters, aspirin, antiseptic cream, cotton wool
    Mobile phone and charger - necessity for phoning home.
    Tin Foil - use it to cover grill pans before putting chips etc on. This way the foil catches all the oil, and you don't have to wash the pan up. Sorted!
    Umbrella
    Washing Up Liquid
    Camera - record your freshers week cos it will be wicked!!!
    Condoms - maybe get them when your there so you don't have to explain to mum why you've got them.
    Clothes Hangers
    Kettle

:'(

Pythagoras wrote:
    I'm headed for NUIG to do Physics + Astronomy too...I think its gonna be a small group (around 20) so it should be good craic...I hope!
    Ye all have your accomodation sorted out?

:D
    Yeah, I'm staying in Corrib Village - you?

Now I know of five people doing the course... :)

Got a house in Moyola park, best thing is that its really close to the college...roll out of bed and straight in the door!
    Don't know anyone else doing the course (cept yourself now :D ), know a few doing general science though...what are the other peeps doing the course like...sound enough?

Pythagoras wrote:
    Got a house in Moyola park, best thing is that its really close to the college...roll out of bed and straight in the door!
    Don't know anyone else doing the course (cept yourself now :D ), know a few doing general science though...what are the other peeps doing the course like...sound enough?

Well I know of them, I don't know any of them personally. There's you, another person on the boards, Discharger Snake, I think, and someone my great-aunt knows who doesn't live too far away from me, and someone my mother heard of. Anyway, it'll be interesting!

[edit - and me, obviously]

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

hey, i'm going into 2nd arts.
    college (1st arts particularly) is fekn brill. life changing.
    just join some fun societies and ye'll have the best time.
    that tips guide quoted by jesjes is half ****e...
    just use your common sense.

and i've heard corrib village can be... interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cathy wrote:
    This is crazy... I mean, I'm only 17. I don't know how to work the washing machine. I can't move to Galway... :confused:
    The Comprehensive Student Guide To Using The Washing Machine:

Put clothes in machine

Put powder in machine (better still, one of those tablet things)

Turn dial to 40 degrees

Close door

Press GO button or equivalent

That'll cover you 99% of the time. 60 degrees for sheets, at least 60 or higher for tea-towels (actually, go as high as you can for student tea-towels)

Here's the thing Cathy: a crazy amount of people will be in the same boat as you. It's probably easier to make friends in your first few weeks of college than it ever will be again. Find one who knows how to cook, wash and likes doing both. Then you're set for life:)

And Galway's nice. My GF's curently in UCG/NUIG (came first in her masters class too)

sceptre wrote:
    The Comprehensive Student Guide To Using The Washing Machine:

Put clothes in machine

Put powder in machine (better still, one of those tablet things)

Turn dial to 40 degrees

Close door

Press GO button or equivalent

That'll cover you 99% of the time. 60 degrees for sheets, at least 60 or higher for tea-towels (actually, go as high as you can for student tea-towels)

Here's the thing Cathy: a crazy amount of people will be in the same boat as you. It's probably easier to make friends in your first few weeks of college than it ever will be again. Find one who knows how to cook, wash and likes doing both. Then you're set for life:)

And Galway's nice. My GF's curently in UCG/NUIG (came first in her masters class too)

I just printed that out.

I love you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

and that's national university of ireland spelt YOOOOOO- SEEEEEEEEE- GEEEEEEEEEEE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

As for accomodation, I will be putting an ad in the advertiser after the second round come out - I'm still hoping on UCD Nursing.

The appartment is on Fairhill (beside firestation and Domonic St.), is very well kitted out and furnished to a HIGH standard. If I am taking it, I'll be giving boards users a heads up (mainly because I want to share the BroadBand costs :D) with pictures and the likes.

This will be of course AFTER the 2nd round, and a 5 month lease will most likely be the only commitment you will have to take (depending on landlord).

• Advertisement

Cathy wrote:
    Well I know of them, I don't know any of them personally. There's you, another person on the boards, Discharger Snake, I think, and someone my great-aunt knows who doesn't live too far away from me, and someone my mother heard of. Anyway, it'll be interesting!

[edit - and me, obviously]
    We'll probably all meet up at some stage!

Speaking of, anyone know if its particularly strict in galway for ID and the like? Never been out in Galway, so I have no idea what to expect!

Advertisement