Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems Upgrading to XP Computer Rebooting

Options
  • 24-08-2004 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

I have a friends old dell here (shudder) and he wants me to put on XP for him, so i simply poped the cd and upgraded from 2k pro.

Install starts fine but towards the end just past where the screen flickers on installing devices, the computer magically reboots! :)

The machine is a Dell MMP, the modem was fried during a lighnting storm so I thought perhaps removing it would solve the problem, as it appears to be hardware related no joy.

Would a clean install do the job?

Anyone else ever encountered the same prob?

I would greatly apreciate any help so that i can promptly rid myself of this pile of junk!

Cheers,

Samba

Edit forgot to mention this is SP2 Edition, exact Dell number is Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX1, I have googled this folks and it would appear that there is a long list of possible problems, such as PSU, GFX, MOBO and general hardware issues, it's not making for comforting reading, so I think i am simply going to stick 2k back on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

You could try having a look at the acpi setting in the bios. it needs to be turned on...have had that issue before with old dell pc's.

Advertisement