Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I killed my case fan

Options
  • 24-08-2004 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

My case fan was making a bit too much noise, of course in my infinite wisdom I figured I could fix it. Soon afterwards it broke spewing out a couple of bits of plastic.

Thing is, Im monitoring the temps, The mobo has a chip monitor and case monitor, Im pretty sure they are accurate, and at most the case temp has increased by only 2 degrees, and the chip is the same, hovering just under 50. Its a single P4 with a regular cooler, granted the psu fan is still kicking away, but makes you wonder, do we really need all these fans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The only fan i have running in my pc is my power supply, granted i have wc but i dont figure i need them. Mind u, my side panel is off more than its on... The biggest heat source i find is the HD's, will prob get around to using the fans again. Have to to a minor bito case modding first...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea hard drives would be my worry aswell. I wouldnt be too pushed about NB temps once there some bit reasonable, ive the CPU watercooled so thats fine.

Main things to cool would be CPU, HD, GFX , NB ....... if you cool those then i wouldnt worry about anything else TBH. If you have better than stock cooler on your GFX card , then the only real thing to worry about is the Hard Drives.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've been saying this to people who go on about case fans all the time trying to lower their cpu temps. It makes very little difference. A couple of degrees and that's about it. Ideally you want at least one intake and one exhaust but anything more than this makes practically no difference.

I've seen tests where they had a system with 4 case fans and then a modded one with about 30 fans and there was practically no difference.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

My case came with 7 fans!!! Never used them all, just the two at the front n two at the rear. Case came with a fan controler so i set it to the lowest just to get some air movin(i cherish the silence). Will prob use em again when i tidy the case up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Some airflow in a case is vital and makes a big difference in temps. The more fans you add the better the temps get but the difference decreases the more you add (as bloodbath said).

CPU temps are effected by case air flow, the ammount there effected has alot to do with the cooler your using. Ie if you use a big Zalman 7000 you will see a bigger effect on CPU temps than say a stock cooler (or simular would).

Also the way you have it setup. Ie best tends to be air in the lower front, and out the upper rear of the case......

The more you overclock the more air flow comes into it as it effects NB (FSB) , CPU and GFX temps aswell.... but the bottom line is really if you want to overclock your GFX card get a better cooler for it, if you want to overclock your CPU more get a better cooler for it, same with NB....... case airflow will obviously help but theres really no need to have to many case fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

to be honest, yes u need all those fans, you would be suprised how hot a mobo/ram can become, i have cheiftec case i put the side fan blowing outwards and i found the temp went down a lil bit instead of it blowing inwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What boards monitor NB temps for a P4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

nadir wrote:
    do we really need all these fans.

YES YOU DO! I have all of 21 fans in my case and i don't seem to be able to fit enough of them into it. but nevermind me ..........i'm just MAD! :D

magick wrote:
    to be honest, yes u need all those fans,

Thats the right attitude !!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

pyrogenx wrote:
    YES YOU DO! I have all of 21 fans in my case and i don't seem to be able to fit enough of them into it. but nevermind me ..........i'm just MAD! :D
    Can you post some pics of this machine!!! In another thread you mentioned that you used over 30 Molex connectors.....what the hell kinda machine are you running :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This is his machine.

http://www.midlans.net/mods/pyrogenxdetailed.html

21 fans inc g-card, cpu ect, still a **** load though.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

nice chain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

BloodBath wrote:
    This is his machine.

http://www.midlans.net/mods/pyrogenxdetailed.html

21 fans inc g-card, cpu ect, still a **** load though.

BloodBath

Thats ugly as hell. Lad needs some colour sense lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

Yupp i know people's opinions are VERY split about my main machine (actually 50:50), some people like lots of lights and others only like very plain 1 colour systems. But its nowhere near finished yet! another 2 big MODs in the post :D

By the way i have made that chain much shorter recently.

PS: i need mental help! LOL

Advertisement