Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deportivo V Shelbourne (Scores after K.O. 8pm)

• 24-08-2004 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

I know this thread is a little early but i personally cant wait for it to kick off.

This is the biggest game in Irish domestic league history! I WILL CRY IF THEY WIN.

Try this : www.briogaiddearg.net

from www.shelbournefc.ie
    CL Match Preview - Deportivo La Coruña Vs Shelbourne

Monday 23 Aug 2004 --Confident but pragmatic – Pat Fenlon knows it won’t be easy in the Riazor on Tuesday night against Deportivo La Coruña in this 3rd round qualifying Champions League game, but he and his team are covering all the angles - even if it does go to penalties.

Although in Spain since last Friday, Pat Fenlon will put his team through their paces in the famous arena of the Campo De Fubol De Riazor, for the first time this Monday evening. The pitch might be that bit wider than the Reds are used to playing on, but with temperatures not expected to be much higher than 20 degrees C, Pat is happy enough that his players will cope with the demands, given their high fitness levels at this stage of their season and their experience of playing in the heat of Split in Croatia.

“We’re reasonably confident going into the match, although we have to be very realistic about the size of the task facing us,” he admitted to ShelsWeb. “It’s going to take a lot of hard work, everything is going to have to fall right for us, but we wouldn’t be here unless we had some chance of making it through.”

“We’ve prepared as well as we can, by getting out here early to acclimatise, by covering all possible scenarios whatever way the match might develop, right down to practising penalties in case it stays scoreless,” he added.

He has the luxury of a fully fit squad to choose from, but will make just the minimum changes – if at all – to his team. Never one to give away too much information, Fenlon remains tight-lipped on whether Joey Ndo will get the nod ahead of Glen Fitzpatrick. Wily to the end, the Shels manager has gotten his tactics spot-on thus far in this European campaign, and one cannot rule out one or two surprises on the night?

I was talking to my mates over in La Corouna and one of them lost his wallet and his mobile. Finbar Flood gave him a lend of €100 to tide him over!! You wouldnt get that anywhere else!!

Any Predictions??

Depor 1-1 Shels

Ndo 45th minute

but i'm thinking with my heart ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

shels to sneak it 1-0 ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Seemly a lot of the spainish are betting on a 3 - 0 victory to Depor ... I hope it does not end up that big of a margin, I also hope the shels lads do the league proud and finish the night with there heads held high ...

Dream result: Shels 2 - Depor 2 .. away goals victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think 3-0 is a likely result, but anything from 6-0 to 0-1 could not be ruled out.

Hopefully the Times prediction of the team is correct and Jason will be up front with Ndo on the wing and Glenn Fitz dropped.

And Hopefully Depor think the game is in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

does anyone know if any channel in the UK is showing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

cant wait for the match tonight, hope shels do us proud,my heart says that we will sneak a 1:1 draw but my head says 2:0 to deportivo.Hopefully we get the result that shels truly deserve and wouldnt it be fantastic if shels actually got into the champs league.Would change the face of irish football forever.Hope ndo plays tonight on the right, he is one class player.Im not a shels fan but will be shouting for them tonight as i was at their last two eurpean games against deportiva and hajik split.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I can't see how a score draw would be out of the question. Anything is possible. Come on Shels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Really anything could happen. All is not well at Deportivo. Their manager doesnt exactly look like he is certain of qualifying, a lot of their players have problems with injuries or other problems with the club. They didnt exactly hammer that saudi team (1-1 draw) or do the business in Dublin. Also la liga hasnt started yet and that is an edge to Shels, and Deportivo are at their best when they are the under dog, they beat Milan 5-0 because everyone had already wrote them off. Once they were favourites going into a match they played very poorly.

So a scoring draw may not be fiction.

However it has to be said they are playing at home with some great players in their side. They need the money from the group stages and so it could be 5-0 to Deportivo.

Im going for a scoring draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

2-0 Deportivo. I don't think they'll be going in complacently thinking that their victory is in the bag. they'll want the win as much as Shels and there's now more pressure on them to perform at home against an unrated team. they're a team that cope well with pressure. I personally think that Deportivo will come out of the blocks very strong tonight. If Shels can withstand the opening vollies they might get away with a draw, maybe evening a scoring draw. There's no doubt that they'll have to play better tonight than they did in Dublin to secure the same result though.

does anyone know if any channel in the UK is showing this?

SPAIN Deportivo v Shelbourne IRELAND LIVE
    8.00pm · 21:00cet
    RTÉ Network 2 28° e N.D.S. /Irl
    Taquilla 2 19° e Seca 2
    also ... 30° w NagraVision 2

Got this from http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/

Don't know if it helps

Might get an Irish Bar over there that may have it ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Ladbrooks say

Shels 14/1 to win
    Shels 16/1 to win 0-1
    Shels 10/1 to draw 1-1

• Advertisement

PaddyPower has Shels at
    20 /1 to win
    28/1 to win 0 - 1
    14/1 to draw 1-1
    40/1 to draw 2-2
    100/1 to draw 3-3

also 10 / 1 to win (draw no bet)

also Alan Moore is 9 / 2 to score in 90 mins
    ( He scored in last 2 away euro games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

LizardKing wrote:
    PaddyPower has Shels at
    20 /1 to win
    Just backed them at 35 / 1 on Betfair.com :D

Doubt if they'll win, but I wouldn't mind a bet on Shels progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

theres is a LIVE WEBCAST available for all you lads that cant see it on the box...

http://www.crtvg.es/tvg/arquivosflash/ingles/pritvg.htm

enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

What a great night of TV Sport!!!!!

Women's Beach Volleyball final (Brazil v USA) at 7:00

Followed by Deportivo v Shels at 8:00.

If you have the strength to watch it......

lets hope the players belive more than some on this board or they might have well stayed at home :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BELIEVE

Nerves kicking in, nails bitten to the elbows.

Couldn't get over to Spain, couldn't afford it, but no matter. There's a group of about 20 of us heading to the local to watch this one. Shels fans and non-Shels fans alike, joined together to support them in the greatest match in the history of the club.

History can be made tonight, and do not be surprised if it is.

FORZA SHELS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

VinnyL wrote:
    I know this thread is a little early but i personally cant wait for it to kick off.

This is the biggest game in Irish domestic league history! I WILL CRY IF THEY WIN.

Or draw! The very worst possible thing to come from a draw would be a penalty shoot out, I'd settle for that right now!

thats more like it !! come oh Shels , send them packing !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I backed shels at 7-1 go through to the groups, 7-1 to draw and an accumulator of the two!

Go on the Shels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm fúcking shaking with anticipation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

1-1 no bother :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

lets hope the players belive more than some on this board or they might have well stayed at home :rolleyes:
    Jolly, I've just re-read the thread and only 2 or 3 people actually predicted a Depor win. This is a team that conceded just 1 goal in 6 matches at home on their way to the semi's of the champions league including a 4-0 win over Milan.

Fenlon said they are just going to sit back and if they don't concede in the first half Shels won't be attacking until late in the second half. I think we have more belief than the Shels players tbh.

Well Roddy doesn't rate their chances, Good news for Shels imho!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

gwan the shells!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

anyone else notice the commentary is slightly ahead of the picture, iv noticed this before on RTE. That last shot, i think it was Luque ,just as he was hitting it, the commentator said good save be wialliams. :confused:

some of the tackling is terrible. the ref is being very generous it has to be said.

RTE's sound has always been terrible now there is a problem with the commentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

**** me that was some free kick there!

I'm not having any problems with the sound on RTE :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

RTE always end up making a ball's of stuff like this, TBH

you can defintely see the quality of Depor against shels but dare i say it, they arent exactly threatening in the last 1/4 of the pitch

i am leaning towards a decent result for shels. but to be honest they seem to be making it hard for themselves, trying to nutmeg players and the like. The fact is they are not as fast as the depor players but they dont seem to have realised this even after playing against them for two hours. Ndo seems to want to keep running the defenders. The simple thing is whats called for here.

If only Byrne could have got a clean contact on the header.

Half time 0-0. Very good performance by Shels. I tell ya what if Depor dont score in the first 15-20 mins of the 2nd half the home crowd will really start getting on their backs.

Ndo has been v good IMO.

Come on Shels!

half time and while Deportivo look a little more dangerous, I would say that scoreless at half time is a perfect reflection of the state of the game. Shels have been very resolute and despite a slip or two look unflapped by anything Deportivo have put forward. Hopefully Shels will score to go through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apart from a few agricultural tackles in midfield Shels have looked darned good, its a pity they played so deep until the last 5 as they look half-decent going forwards. Jason Byrne will be kicking himself if that headed miss should be the difference come final whistle.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Good game so far, shels really getting stuck in. Anything could happen.

Half time 0-0, great !! Shels have done great, Deportivo have tried but to shels have done very well at the back. There isnt a massive gap (i.e 5 nill) between the two.

Pity Jason Byrne didnt get on the end of that quality ball into the box. I heard the reaction of Depor fans at 1/2 time, they werent impressed. another 15 minutes and i can see depor making mistakes and being under a lot of pressure.

shels have to keep the ball more and get score at least 1.

1-0 deportivo, pity for rodgers who has been otherwise exceptional. It lookslike deportivo upped a gear or two. Hopefully deportivo will sit back and shels will sneak one.

FFS :( 1-0 Depor

Come on Shels!!

crap, 1-0. its going to be a struggle now

• Advertisement

Well its over. 2-0. Great goal though :(

2-0, **** **** **** **** ****. In fairness htough it was a brilliant goal

2-0

Stunning long range shot. Ah well, onto the UEFA Cup Shels :cool:

2-0 its all over now !!

lets just hope that they dont make it 3. The first goal was a silly mistake, but it was pretty hard to stop victor, that was some strike!

what the hell are rte at with this split screen rubbish, id be really annoyed if i wasnt watching on a 44" tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

jason bryne had a great chance there
    ****e split screen :(

****ing RTE.

this is a new low for rte, Why didnt jason byrne take the ball down and just pass it in when he was one on one with the keeper. Would have made for a nervous last 10 or depor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

gotta feel sorry for them now :(

would rte have done that split screen if shels were 2 nill up ;)

how cheap does it get?
    desperate

• Advertisement
Advertisement