Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deportivo V Shelbourne (Scores after K.O. 8pm)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

oh no 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Look How Far Williams Is Off His Line Ffs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

good free kick. three good goals, at least they werent beaten by crappy goals.

cant belive moore got sent off, he NEVER TOUCHED HIM :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ah well the UEFA cup beckons and for a LOI club that still worth playing for.

Mike.

ps if Shels had won tonight it would have been a disaster for the Eircom League. They'd have so much money no other club would stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

stupid mistake by williams, by we will really miss moore because of the red card, lets hope there is an appeal

Shels didnt look great in the second half. they kind of went to sleep a bit but put in a good performance overall. Its a shame about Pat getting sent to the stands and Shels loosing a man. I dont think the 3-0 was right, i think about 2-0.

But its the only way E.L teams are going to learn in Europe. Some were saying in football circles that getting into the 3rd round came a few years too early for the club.

That red card was a bit rough. There has to be an appeal. Shels are only 2 legs away from the UEFA cup group stages (with deportivo's seeding :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

That was never a red card, there will be an appeal..

Shels played well and there is no shame in playing in the UEFA cup.

Fair play to Shelbourne!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

nutsy was sent off for protesting against diving, pity that, he'll be in the stands for the 2 legs of the UEFACKUP...

Whens the draw, how many teams in the group?

Byrne was unlucky, 2 clear chances (thats why he isnt in the ireland squad) and a deffo peno i thought!

wes was marked out of it aswell, pity.

more than help our own though, hope we'll get big crwods in tolka for the uefa games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It was a shame to end 3-0 and the sending off was just wrong he never touched the Depo player. However the thing that pissed me off most about the match was the coverage. What the hell were RTE at with that split screen crap, if there was an Irish Runner in the final fair enough but there wasn't. An absolute disgrace to do that to the coverage of the biggest game for a LOI club in years.

Hopefully Shelbourne get a plum draw for the UEFA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

VinnyL wrote:
    nutsy was sent off for protesting against diving, pity that, he'll be in the stands for the 2 legs of the UEFACKUP...

Whens the draw, how many teams in the group?

Byrne was unlucky, 2 clear chances (thats why he isnt in the ireland squad) and a deffo peno i thought!

wes was marked out of it aswell, pity.

more than help our own though, hope we'll get big crwods in tolka for the uefa games!
    As far as I know it's only a one match ban for a 2 yellow card sending off in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

ah well, depor were the better team
    thought 3 was a bit much though and when i saw where the keeper was standing i knew it was going in the far post

thought the ref was a bit of a joke, kept giving frees for the slightest of touches or no touch at all

needless to say the split screen was a disgrace, it felt like rte had given up on shelbourne's chances so they thought, lets stick this on, great idea

i thought it was a straight red, i saw the ref stick the red card straight up!

i know the director thought it was 2, but i swear i saw* it was a straight red

*excessive alcohol was consumed at the time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

VinnyL wrote:
    i thought it was a straight red, i saw the ref stick the red card straight up!

i know the director thought it was 2, but i swear i saw* it was a straight red

*excessive alcohol was consumed at the time ;)

he showed him the yellow too , but didnt hold it aloft in the air like the red .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

gandalf wrote:

Hopefully Shelbourne get a plum draw for the UEFA Cup.

No way! Hopefully Shels get an easy draw for the UEFA cup (which they might do as they carry Depor's seeding into the UEFA cup draw) cause if they get past the 1st round of the UEFA cup they qualify for the groups stages of the UEFA cup (starting this year) and that would mean an extra 6 games at least.

Also in terms of ranking points, wins and draws in matches from the 1st round proper of the Champions League and UEFA cup mean double points. So a nice handy draw please for Shels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I never heard of carrying your opponents seeding into the next draw - unless a draw is made before the previous game has been completed. Its hard to believe Shels would be seeded. Certainly the Times said yesterday that they would be unseeded and could be up against a big European name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Firstly, I am proud to call myself a Shels fan this morning, they have done themselves, the club and the entire eircom League proud.

Just a few couple of things though.

RTE WÁNKERS for doing that split screen, then full race screen in the second half. Does anyone know an email address that can be used to complain about this?

As far as I know, Shels will be seeded in the draw for the UEFA Cup, as are all teams that have exited from the 3rd Qualifying round of the CL.

I hope Shels get a lesser light of the continent, a team they should beat, and progress to the group round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

seansouth wrote:
    I know, Shels will be seeded in the draw for the UEFA Cup, as are all teams that have exited from the 3rd Qualifying round of the CL.

Yep I do believe this is the case too, and in fairness I wouldnt pay much attention to what The Times say, the coverage they give to the EL is pitiful.

I'd be very surprised if you're right lads (and Kev, you seemed to have changed your reasoning as to why they might be seeded :D )

UEFA always use the co-efficients to seed teams. Assuming MUnited win today, they will be a top seed for the CL group stages even though they had to go through the qualifiers, while Chelsea will be a second seed at best even though they qualified automatically. Rosenborg were seeded in the 3rd Q round even though they had to come through the 2nd Q round, while some teams were not seeded for the 3rd Q round even though they'd qualified for that round automatically.

I'd say UEFA will use the co-efficients to determine the seedings for the UEFA Cup draw, and therefore Shels will not be seeded.

I think Shels did themselves and the E.L proud. They played very well against champions league semi finalists and it was nothing like the 9-0 thrashing Monaco gave their opponents in the 3rd round. The UEFA cup now beckons and something to look forward to.
    Independnet:-Depor coach Javier Irureta saluted the gritty Dubliners, insisting: "Shelbourne are not far away from Champions League group level. Their fitness was excellent and they never gave up. Alan Moore stood out as a very good player."

Im sure its on www.uefa.com but I think Shels will have deportivo's seeding going into the next round of the UEFA cup. If they can manage to win their next match then there in the group stages. Hopefully it will be a easy team.

The only thing I could say about Shels last night is that they need to work on keeping possession for longer and their finishing. the score could have been 3-2 with those chances.

RTE's coverage last night was shocingly bad. Slit screen FFS, and there wasnt any Irish in the stupid F'ing race :mad: Oh, its nearly better that Shels didnt beat Depor last night, they would completely dominate the E.L for a start and could take a massive thrashing 10-0 from the likes of Real Madrid. The group stages of UEFA cup will do nicely :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Shels played a great first half , Ndo was superb at tackling back as were the 4 defenders... The 2nd half showed up the difference in the sides , 3 great goals. The first one , Harris could have closed earlier but there was another depor player inside so he had to cover him. The 2nd was a wonder strike , unstoppable. The 3rd was unlucky perhaps Williams should have been better , they seemed unsure as to whether to have crawley on the post or not.

Now on to RTé .. WTF were they thinking , it was a complete joke , the director of programming that ok'd the decision to go split screen with a race in the olympics that did not even have an Irish runner in, should be sacked ... I mean its the biggest game in our national league history and they go and do that.. It meant we missed the excitement of the best chance Shels had to score with Byrne lobbing the keeper ..

I hope RTé get loads of complaints about this one ....

Also hope the UEFA draw on Friday is favourable to Shels ... fingers crossed

Anyone else who was dissatisfied with the split-screen fiasco last night:

complaints.review@rte.ie

Send an email at least.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Last night I was watching the live broadcast of the Deportivo La Coruna versus Shelbourne FC match in the Third Qualifying Round of the UEFA Champions League, and I was horrified when, midway through the second half of the most important match in Irish Club Soccer history, the screen was split in order to show a race in the Olympics. A race in which there was no Irish runner. Then, inexplicably, all coverage of said match was completely abondoned in favour of the race.

I must complain very strongly about this situation, and wonder. If the match had involved a British team such as Celtic or Manchester United would the same situation have been allowed to develop?

I am very unhappy, and dissatisfied with RTÉ.

Awaiting your reply

Yours Sincerely
    seansouth

In fairness to RTE the game looked dead at that stage and the 1500m is one of the highlights of any Olympic Games. Personally I was happy RTE gave the split screen. I actually switched over to BBC to be able see it properly and it was a fantastic race.

Of course it did mean I missed the Byrne chance, which could have changed the game........

As for the game itself I thought Shels were superb in the first half, especially the defence and Moore and Byrne in the centre of midfield. I thought Ndo looked sharp but I could finally see why he doesnt start every game - he gave an awful lot of possession away, and was slow to pick out passes.

The first goal was very bad from Shels point of view. Houlihan to blame IMO, and while it was a very good strike, a keeper should not be beaten at his near post.

Very disappointing that Moore got a red card, he'll be badly missed. 80 teams in the draw for the UEFA Cup, so whether they're seeded or not, there'll be a decent chance of being drawn against a team that is beatable.

"Thank you for your e-mail to RTÉ Information.

Comments about RTÉ programmes are recorded in our weekly Audience Reaction Log, which is discussed at the weekly editorial meetings: Television, Radio and News plus the Corporate meeting which is chaired by the Director-General and attended by key senior management.

Your feedback is very much welcomed by RTÉ and helps to inform editorial decisions and future programme planning.

You might also wish to consult our website, www.rte.ie, if you have not already done so. This contains programme, technical and company information.

Should you have requested specific details, we will revert to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for contacting us.

Kind Regards

The RTÉ Information team. "

Standard reply email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Shelbourne did themselves and Ireland proud. A pity that 6 yard clear header on goal in the 1st half wasn't better directed. If that would have gone in (it was straight at the keeper and was lacking in power) then it could have been a much different night. Depor were nervy in the 1st half and that would have put the cat among the pigeons.

The first Depor goal was badly defended imo. There wasn't enough pressure on the ball, an it was unstoppable by the keeper, who played well I thought. Shels were missing a few quality players in a few positions, but they played very well at the European stage and were unlucky in a way not to get drawn against weaker opposition.

As for the split screen incident, it was ok for me if they kept it at split screen as you could watch both sports and the score at that stage was 2-0. But I think it was not right to go to a 100% showing of the running and viewers have every right to complain. I've a few contacts in RTE, but hey, they are a monopoly and do pretty much well what they like!

You are better off complaining to other media such as newspapers and competing radio channels. George Hook? Ger Gilroy is a plonker though.

seansouth wrote:
    "Thank you for your e-mail to RTÉ Information.

Comments about RTÉ programmes are recorded in our weekly Audience Reaction Log, which is discussed at the weekly editorial meetings: Television, Radio and News plus the Corporate meeting which is chaired by the Director-General and attended by key senior management.

Your feedback is very much welcomed by RTÉ and helps to inform editorial decisions and future programme planning.

You might also wish to consult our website, www.rte.ie, if you have not already done so. This contains programme, technical and company information.

Should you have requested specific details, we will revert to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for contacting us.

Kind Regards

The RTÉ Information team. "

Standard reply email

Got the exact same reply :rolleyes: ...

also I thought shels could have been a bit more disciplined , but the depor lads were falling over very easily.

Wonder will all the interest do anything to the attendance at tolka this week.. ???
    Tough game vs a longford team on a high after beating rovers in the cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what RTÉ did last night was a joke. why couldnt they have put that race on RTÉ1 or show delayed coverage later on. it was no fun having to watch that split screen crap on a 21" tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shelbourne won't be seeded in Friday's draw for the UEFA cup.

Fenlon definitely made the right decision in bringing Ndo in for Fitzpatrick. He worked just as hard as J.Byrne did 2 weeks ago on the right and Byrne was certainly more of a handful up front than Fitz. Rogers was my MOM. Fair play to him for not reacting to Luque's push in the face and I honestly think UEFA should acknowledge the way he just played on without falling to the ground or harassing the ref about the incident or falling.

The ref was giving freekicks for absolutely anything and its becoming a joke. Moore confronted the ref (as you do every day in the UK and Ireland) about him given away an easy freekick and he was booked. His second booking was also a joke. Why can't Moore go up for the ball with his foot if Andrade can't? Moore's foot was actually below Andrade's and it was only the reaction of the defender the gave him the second booking.

What was Williams up to for the freekick at the end. The wall is there to protect one side of the goal and the keeper is supposed to protect the other. Williams just invited Pandini to the right of the goal (anyone would have scored TBH).

There was no seperating the two teams for 150 minutes of this tie so fair dues to Shels. Also, well done to the fans for keeping the best fans in the world title (WC 2002) alive. ;)

While the team would have been wishing for a big team in the draw for the 3rd Q of the CL, I'm sure they'll be hoping for an easy draw this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>I actually switched over to BBC to be able see it properly and it was a fantastic race.

So could every other person who was interested. Point is, why show an inferior version of something readily available elsewhere? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Bateman wrote:
    >I actually switched over to BBC to be able see it properly and it was a fantastic race.

So could every other person who was interested. Point is, why show an inferior version of something readily available elsewhere? :rolleyes:

also when they were showing the split screen , they were taking up one third of the screen with just blue **** . :eek:

one third 1,500 metres , 1 third soccer , and 1 third blue :confused: .
    and then they switched to the race altogether for a while , and they also switched to race 2 fifths soccer one fifth and blue crap 2 fifths .

what the hell were they playing at :( .

RTE look like Al Jasera. they need to sort out their sounds at the football games for a start and go out and buy new technology to split screens, put graphics on the T.V and that kind of stuff. Ever look at the BBC and then look at RTE at the olympics... FFS its an embarassement to the country. What are they wasting the money on?? Cheap sets, bad sound, horrific graphics on screen and " I dont give a Fúck attitude " Johnny Giles type people.

I tuned into the football, not the olympics. If i wanted to watch them I would have turned to a channel which was showing them. I'm going to email RTE and complain now :(

Fionnuala wrote:
    We were chatting at home last night about this RTE decision to cut out of the Shels game and my brother made a very good point by comparing it to Sonia O'Sullivan's final on Monday night. A short time into her race it was clear she wasn't going to win, but they still continued to show the complete race to the end. By cutting out of a Shels game to show some Olympics event with NO IRISH participant gives an impression that RTE disregarded the importance of an Irish team playing in the Champions League - REGARDLESS of whether they were winning or losing. I am very disappointed with RTE and whoever made this decision.
    Fionnuala.

******This is not my point, but I think it illustrates exactly why people are annoyed with RTÉ******

So, after last weeks shenanigans, and a few of us contacted RTÉ via email, they actually sent me a reply. I'm wondering if anyone else got this reply, is it a standard reply, or one for me alone?

Any ideas on what I should send back?
    Dear seansouth,
    Thank you for your e-mail. Your comments in relation
    to the disruption to the Shels v Deportivo match were
    included in our Audience Log, which was circulated for
    discussion at last week's Television Editorial meeting.

The following response from Stephen Alkin, Executive
    Editor Olympics 2004, may be of interest.

"On Tuesday last, RTÉ showed Shelbourne's Champions
    League game with Deportivo La Coruna on Network 2
    between 1955 and 2155.

Because of The Rose of Tralee, the match took over from
    coverage of the Olympic Games.

It was agreed in advance that if Deportivo were winning
    comfortably at 2140 (approx 75 minutes into the game)
    that we would show the Men's 1500m final.

As the score was 2-nil, we decided to do just that.

This is one those situations where you are damned if
    you do and damned if you don't. There were almost as
    many callers asking for the 1500 metres final to be
    shown as there were expressing anger that we had
    spoiled their enjoyment of the soccer.

I hope the course we took didn't spoil your evenings
    viewing."

Best regards,
    Nina Ward
    RTÉ Information Officer

not everyone in ireland can receive bbc1, correct?
    i didn't bother emailing them, it won't stop them doing similar things in future, i'm surprised they read yours and even more surprised they responded
    and yes, rte coverage compared to the bbc is ****e, still can't stand listening to bbc going on about how great GREAT britain is

seansouth ... I got the same message ....

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your e-mail. Your comments in relation
    to the disruption to the Shels v Deportivo match were
    included in our Audience Log, which was circulated for
    discussion at last week's Television Editorial meeting.

The following response from Stephen Alkin, Executive
    Editor Olympics 2004, may be of interest.

League game with Deportivo La Coruna on Network 2
    between 1955 and 2155.

Because of The Rose of Tralee, the match took over from
    coverage of the Olympic Games.

It was agreed in advance that if Deportivo was inning
    that we would show the Men's 1500m final.

many callers asking for the 1500 metres Final to be

I hope the course we took didn't spoil your evenings
    viewing."

Best regards,
    Nina Ward
    RTÉ Information Officer

Stephen Alkin should be sacked, what sort of attitude is that to have, we'll show a European football match but if they're losin' we'll show an Olympics race too. They should have went split screen with the Rose of Shíte ... grrrr

poor response, there wernt any ireland runners in the 1500, and an irish team was playing in the champions league. bullsh1t answer if you ask me, supporting irish soccer my arse

Dear **********

Thank you for your e-mail.
    Your comments in relation to the interruption to the
    Shelbourne v Deportivo match were included in last
    week's Audience Log, which was circulated to all
    Departmental heads, including the Head of Sport TV.

The following response from Stephen Alkin, RTÉ's
    Executive Editor Olympics 2004, may be of interest.

League game with Deportivo La Coruna on RTÉ Network 2
    (between 1955 and 2155) in place of our Olympic Games
    coverage.

It was agreed in advance that if Deportivo was winning
    that we would show the Men's 1500m Final.

many callers asking for the 1500 metres Final to be

I have forwarded your comments about poor quality sound
    on soccer commentaries to our Sports Department, for
    their information and interest.

Best regards,
    Nina Ward
    RTÉ Information Officer

I got the above rubbish... who were ALL those people wanting to see the running ? And they will probably do nothing about the TERRIBLE sound coverage:( Im not impressed

RTE run their business according to what the viewers want. Fair play to people who actually took the bother to e-mail them rather than moan on the internet.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:
    RTE run their business according to what the viewers want. Fair play to people who actually took the bother to e-mail them rather than moan on the internet.

you're the man!
    if only everyone was as cool as you

?

Advertisement