Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(XP)Acquiring Service Pack 2 & installation

Options
  • 24-08-2004 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

I have heard that service pack 2 for XP is coming out shortly. Its supposed to be 90mb which makes downloading it with a modem utter tosh. Where can someone get it on CD format? Apart from having to splash out 10 Euro on a magazine. CAn you call into a shop and just get the CD?

Also I have heard reports that SP2 may not be for everyone, or that it may cause some problems with your applications ?? So What is the jack and nory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Currently SP2 is only available via the automatic update. It will be put on the Windows Update site in a month or so. Around late Sept/ early Oct it will be sent out on CD via magazines. Might be an idea for 2-3 people to chip in a Euro or two each and buy a cd.

I installed SP2 yesterday. I've had no issues. I did need to download a few patches for applications (Nero), but otherwise, everything went fine and smooth.

Make sure -
    Take a backup before starting
    Close all Firewalls and AV programs before installation
    Close all applications you can

It should be that simple, and it was for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

You will be able to get it in the post in the next month or so.
    You can register to recieve an email when its available for postage.

Go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/windowsXP/SP2/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can download the full network installation (about 270MB) from microsoft's website right now, not for dial-up people though!

This is preferable to using Windows Update if you're going to deploy it to multiple machines, or if you're going to create a slipstreamed XPSP2 CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm going to start a new thread so that anyone who wants SP2 before it comes out can get a copy.

Advertisement