Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Play and ISP Disconnects

Options
  • 24-08-2004 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

So, Yesterday afternoon i sit down to a heads up $30 match, up to 2500 chips from a few lovely bluffs and finally i get dealt a hand KK, other player has 500 chips left he bets all in, stupidly i decide to make him sweat it out, so then I call, but oh, my chips do not appear to be going down on the table, what on earth could be the problem?

Much to my dismay i had been disconnected from not only from ladbrokes but also from the internet entirely!! by the time i was reconnected i was down to 150 chips and there was no coming back as blinds were up to 50/100.

This then happened later on that night with a 20 heads up, in total setting me back $50, not the end of the world, but on both occasions I was in a clear winning position, that day i played 2 $200 heads up matches and thankfully i encountered no disconnects.

And thus brings us to the point, if I was to lose a considerable amount of money due to a disconnect by my ISP(IBB) providor would i be in a position to seek compensation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

No. You do not have a leg to stand on. They do not guarantee you r connection on either dial up or ADSL. If you want that kind SLA you need to get a leased line.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

This was what I feared, thanks Mr.P surely the term "Always On" is a false statement, as the connection is clearly not always on?

I feel that there must be some loophole to catch them on in their T's & C's

I Forgot to mention, this is a Business account that I hold, not that i expect it would change much

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Not a dickey bird!

If that were the case every business in D4 would be sueing them 18 months ago when Merrion exchange seemed to go lala for a day.
    The phrase you'll find in their T's and C's is "best efforts".

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Short answer no.

Personally I wouldn't play online without broadband. I have seen hundreds of disconnects that have cost people money - its hard enough to win without having your connection working against you.

If you dont have broadband then you might think of playing in an internet cafe

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Hyzepher wrote:
    Short answer no.

Personally I wouldn't play online without broadband. I have seen hundreds of disconnects that have cost people money - its hard enough to win without having your connection working against you.

If you dont have broadband then you might think of playing in an internet cafe

Hyzepher

Some Dial ups are more reliable than others. I found Eircoms fixed rate Dial Up very reliable, it would almost never disconnect. They must provide a much better service than for all the "free" customers. (who end up paying more).

That said, I have Broadband now & the thought of dial up makes me shiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

yup. dial-up bad. I have broadband and it's only ever disconnected once. I missed one tournament hand but reconnected so quickly that I had no problems after that. couldn't imagine playing without it, even just for how slow I've seen online clients with dial-up connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

due to a disconnect by my ISP(IBB)

Sorry IBB - Irishbroadband, I wouldn't dream of playing on 56k, yet alone playing 4-6 tables at once!!.

Using the VL, equipment, I rang IBB and they said that it was due to upgrades going on, would I not at the least be entitled to be aware of any such upgrades so that I could anticipate downtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Samba wrote:
    Sorry IBB - Irishbroadband... would I not at the least be entitled to be aware of any such upgrades so that I could anticipate downtime?
    If you feel so strongly about it, read through the terms and conditions of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

PartyPoker (and many other internet poker sites) feature disconnect protection for these annoying moments. Might be for cash games only though.

Advertisement