Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

down & out in Paris and that's it really

• 24-08-2004 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

bonjour boards.ie, i was wondering if anybody could offer some guidance or tips?

i'm currently en vacance in Paris with some friends, staying in a very cool apartment for 3 nights before i return there to Ireland. i'm slightly at a loss what to do here at night... last night was drinking in the apartment and wandering around until the last metro. i was drunk enough to be led around without complaint but it seems we didn't find anywhere to go at all (hell, we ate in mcdonalds!)

the group of us are 17/18, have plenty of money for alcohol, complete freedom on curfue, where we can go, etc.. i just amn't sure where we can go to meet people, irish, english, french with english (anything) around our own age here.

has anyone been here before that could recommend some good pubs/clubs/whatever for this age group with a good atmosphere?\

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

go to Pigalle and ogle some prostitutes/browse the pr0n shops

classy you see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

passive wrote:
    bonjour boards.ie, i was wondering if anybody could offer some guidance or tips?

i'm currently en vacance in Paris with some friends, staying in a very cool apartment for 3 nights before i return there to Ireland. i'm slightly at a loss what to do here at night... last night was drinking in the apartment and wandering around until the last metro. i was drunk enough to be led around without complaint but it seems we didn't find anywhere to go at all (hell, we ate in mcdonalds!)

the group of us are 17/18, have plenty of money for alcohol, complete freedom on curfue, where we can go, etc.. i just amn't sure where we can go to meet people, irish, english, french with english (anything) around our own age here.

has anyone been here before that could recommend some good pubs/clubs/whatever for this age group with a good atmosphere?\

thanks

Try the Joyce in Port Maillot (sp).....one of the centres for the irish community in Paris and usually great fun and if not, they'll know where the fun is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭froggie_1

Paris is a savage spot. if its a wild nite of drugs and techno your looking for dont look any further than the madness that is L'Enfer. a huge crazy niteclub right under the Montparnasse tower. its probably the craziest club ive ever been in. world famous DJs every wknd.

pubs - the biggest maddest Irish pub is Corcorans up near Moulin Rouge. its at a Metro stop called Clichy. its rough enough looking up there, but its safe really. that pub gets fairly crazy at the wknds.

theres a pack-packers pub and hostel called the 3 Ducks in the 15th. Metro stop Felix Faure - and you can meet all the Aussies and Americans looking for fun. i highly recommend poppin in there...you can get a gang to head out with and its also THE CHEAPEST pub in Paris.

if you have loada money and want to have a great nite head over to the Bastille, its like the Templebar of Paris except the locals actually do go there...on sat nites its mad, thousands of people on the streets and the bars have class music and amazin lookin people....the waiters are mad craic in there too, shoutin and roarin the whole time. Go to Cafe Iguana and La Rotande for cocktails. there bout e15 if you stand at the bar and more if you want a table. Cafe Iguana is class, not really a cafe, more like a disco bar...some spot. A real Parisene experience. Dont mind that James Joyce hole...its only full of people waitin for the Ryanair bus to Beauvais, and its filthy.

ye could always buy a load of cheap wine and drink in front of the eifel tower til they switch the lights off, thats great craic. im sure its pretty warm there still.

theres hundreds of lovely bars and restaurants@the St Michel Metro Stop. great atmosphere down there, just wandering around. there is another corcorans down there too which can be good craic but its very much on the beaten track and atmosohere can be a bit lacking in there.

if ya have a e100 to spare you couldnt spend it better than a show in the moulin Rouge....expensive but SO WELL WORTH IT. an amazin show and experience.... just keep wandering around and your sure to find somethin ya like...its a wild city and really does have somethin or everyone. be careful and go nuts!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

passive wrote:
    thanks

go to the Bastille
    it's their version of Temple Bar

I also spent a night in this pub:

http://www.frogpubs.com/pub.php?lang=en&pub=frogbercy&topic=eatdrinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

And when Auntie Anna says she spent a night in that pub she means she spent a night in that pub

/me runs for his coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

froggie_1 wrote:
    Paris is a savage spot. if its a wild nite of drugs and techno your looking for dont look any further than the madness that is L'Enfer. a huge crazy niteclub right under the Montparnasse tower. its probably the craziest club ive ever been in. world famous DJs every wknd.
    There used to be an ice-skating rink under the Montparnasse aswell, not sure if it is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

If you can stop drinking, and ingesting illegal narcotics, for about an hour then go to the catacombs. It is the most amazing place. It's really very eerie and kinda spooky.
    When I was in Paris I did a bit of drinking, and went to a lot of the touristy places. But the catacombs is the place I'm really happy that I went to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

da_deadman wrote:
    If you can stop drinking, and ingesting illegal narcotics, for about an hour then go to the catacombs. It is the most amazing place. It's really very eerie and kinda spooky.
    When I was in Paris I did a bit of drinking, and went to a lot of the touristy places. But the catacombs is the place I'm really happy that I went to.

I'll second that....never seen anything like it and everytime i'm in Pairis i go back. Amazing the designs that you see down there....

p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

sceptre wrote:
    And when Auntie Anna says she spent a night in that pub she means she spent a night in that pub

lol
    no need to run cos you're right you know
    I started at 4.00pm and left at 2.00am
    after that, went to a boat on the river seine which they had turned into a nightclub, fantastic spot - left it in some state at 5am
    they closed the boat down 6 months ago cos sometimes there were fights started outside - can you believe that?! - every pub in ireland would have to be closed down if we took that attitude

I believe there is also a huge nightclub up at Pigalle, it's called La Locomotive (address: 90 Boulevard de Clichy, 75018 Paris - Métro : Blanche Ligne 2), I've never been to that one, but aparently there is a train inside, heavy techno, supposed to be a great spot, it stays open till the wee small hours - 11pm to 7am - just in time for the boulangerie to open for breakfast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭froggie_1

"go to the catacombs. It is the most amazing place. It's really very eerie and kinda spooky."

ill 3rd that....that place is one of the coolest places ive ever been. you just go down there and its one of the weirdest feelings, knowing that thats what we'll all end up like at some stage...really makes you think. its not for everyone and some people i went with couldnt get out the far side quick enough... bones and skeletons piled 7ft high and 5ft wide for nearly a mile...really really spooky. the tunnels were used in WWII by the resistance.
    its something you wont see every day and really well worth a visit...since were on about dead people, Pere Lachese grave yard where Jim Morrisson and Oscar Wilde among others are buried is well worth a look aswell.

never got to that Locomotive pleace either but RexClub is another savage techno club....

gotta get back to that city soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

*stumbles back to the thread*

my deepest thanks to froggie for the mention of corcorans which was absolutely brilliant, great staff, great atmosphere et all. i went to the bastille for a while too but it was during the day and we didn't find much to do (my friends are hard to lead around and i couldn't really see where to go + they were setting up for stuff)

The best by far was the 3 ducks, which i ended up in by pure chance after meeting some drunken randomers at the eifell tower at 1am. stayed in the bar there until 3 when i was kicked out (closing time) and wandered the streets before being slightly mugged (was too drunk to notice, lost no property, no injuries and only small loss to my friends so all is good)

anyway enough of my holiday diary, thank you very much all for the tips, they were good advice, Paris is good fun and i shall definately return!

(and i saw most of the sites with my school a few years ago and wouldn't have had anyone to go with me so it wasn't priority, though if i'd read all this catacomb pushing before i got home i'd probably have dropped by)

Advertisement