Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cheap TV with NTSC support

Options
  • 24-08-2004 10:38am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a decent TV thats around 400 euros and has true NTSC playback and is a decent size (28 inch widescreen would be ideal). Have a japanese saturn but am getting a black display with both my black diamond TVs. It would help if anyone knows any TVs that fit the description and where I can buy them. The shop assistants all seem to be giving contradictory opinions on the NTSC support of TVs.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Buy a Philips 28" widescreen from Power City, DID etc.
    There are a couple of models around your budget. They are NTSC compatible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats the one i wanted to buy. Power City said it was NTSC compatable but they were out of stock. Then went to DID and they had the same model but wouldn't sell it to me cos i said i'd bring it back if it didn't work. The assistant was saying it wouldn't work and was mouthing rubbish about UHF and VHF.

Anyway thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Ask them if you can look at the manual in the shop or look at the menu on the TV. One of those will definately say something about NTSC.

I think I know someone with a similar 28" Philips set - it said in the manual that one of the SCART sockets handles NTSC video, but I didn't get to test it out or anything. And I don't know if it was NTSC 4.43 (the screwy one) or NTSC 3.58 (the one you want for your saturn).

Or you could solve this problem totally by just using an RGB SCART cable (i.e. a proper moulded SCART cable) for your Saturn - they came with all the PAL models if you have one, and should work ok on the Japanese one too. If you don't have one, I'm sure you can find them easily on some place like eBay. An RGB connection will look a damn sight better than composite anyway - you won't get any of that blurriness between colours (especially red), and the TV will switch automatically to AV when you turn on your Saturn.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The assistant was saying it wouldn't work and was mouthing rubbish about UHF and VHF.

UHF and VHF, what the fúck has that got to do with anything?
    Quite obviously the plonker didn't know what he was talking about, why do these shops employ such gobsh!tes?

Anyway, he is wrong (duh), as I said in my original post, the current Philips' TV range does support NTSC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got an AV cable not a scart one with it. i'll try and get a RGB scart cable. Cheaper than a new TV.
    UHF and VHF, what the fúck has that got to do with anything?

They also told me that there are no TVs sold in Europe that support support NTSC except the dirty big expensive Plasma tv's. Wouldn't even listen to me when i told them they were wrong sincei had a lend of a mates Panasonic TV that he bought in Ireland that displays the NTSC signal perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭butch9850

I've got a quality THOR scart,for RGB..and it works well,in pal...also in ntsc...But my tv glows in ntsc...and is it the tv,or the dvd player??A burning question.
    But to say,no European tv has ntsc,is wrong.
    Every model nowadays,advertise pal/ntsc playback.

I was wondering,does my having an RGB,rule out the 4.43 vs 3.58 ntsc thing?.
    Because i have a problem...Is it my bleeding cheap tv,or the dvd player...which causes the ntsc problems.

Televisions with ntsc playback,should play ntsc.Unless,the manafucturers are codding us.Not many Europeans,buy American JAP discs,or even American jap equipment,to hook up to a tv.So who actually complains!??.

I've still to get,to the bottom,of my ntsc problem.

Advertisement