Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Service Pack 2: People who'll burn you a copy...

Options
  • 24-08-2004 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

[Hope seamus doesn't mind me hijacking his post. Here's the list so far, with locations and what people want in return. PM one of them for a copy, PM me if I've made a boo-boo. Please don't request CD's here, just copying offers. --adam]
    • seamus - Lucan or City Centre, exchange/post for blank
    • daveirl - Post, two blanks
    • dahamsta - Post for two blanks, Cork City Centre for tea or a pint
    • Dr. Dre - Dundalk
    • Stephen - Carlow/Kilkenny
    • LoLth - Celbridge
    • jor el - Raheen, Limerick, blank if you have it
    • tman - Dominick Street, Galway, exchange for blank
    • kingambrose - Same as Dave

Righto, XP service pack 2 has been released, but MS won't begin the CD signup for anyone for a month, and users on dial-up haven't the time or the bandwidth to be downloading a 90MB automatic update.

So I propose we do a filesharing-type co-op for a month. I have the developer version sitting at home doing nothing, and I'm willing to burn a copy for those who need it (in exchange for a blank CD of course).

Anyone else willing to do the same should post here too, and anyone interested should PM us. Put your contact details up at your own risk. Obviously it makes sense to include a rough area if you may be willing to meet up, so people aren't at the mercy of an post.

I'm in Lucan, and spend most of my day in the city centre. PM me if you want a copy.

Standard disclaimer - By getting a copy from someone else and not from MS directly, you have no gaurantees of the quality or legitimacy of any service pack, and run the risk of malicious code making its way onto your machine. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll duplicate Dave's offer. And SP2. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Don't want the hassle of posting, but if you're in Dundalk, I'll gladly meet you and provide a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Would it be a good idea to recommend that people borrow a CD, copy the XPSP2.exe from it and make their own CD, then pass the borrowed CD to someone else who is looking for it.

That way there is better coverage with the same CD?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the point is to have a copy handy if you ever need it again. Or to keep on distributing it pyramid scheme style ;)

Anyways,

I can burn copies of XP SP2 like the lads above - I'm in the Carlow/Kilkenny area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I can copy SP2 for anyone who wants to collect it off me. getting to post office is a hassle. I'm in Celbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm just downloading it now so can burn it off for peeps if needed. I'm in the Raheen area of Limerick and would prefer to meet up as getting to the Post office is a bit of bother, and would probably not happen till weekends. PM me if you wants one. I won't worry too much about replacing the blank, they're dirt cheep ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

add me to the list.
    Dominick street area of Galway.

blank for blank trade, wouldn't be into posting it though.

http://members.boards.ie/tman/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.zip
    i used total commander to verify the crc checksums of my download, seeing as i'd downloaded it from various mirrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Dave's offer sounds good. I'll offer the same. I'm on the Northside of Dublin.
    PM if you want me to send it to you or you want to meet me somewhere.

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I will post someone 2 blank cd's if they will post me a copy of the service pack 2 on cd. ITs for the home edition, are there any differences?

thanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I will post someone 2 blank cd's if they will post me a copy of the service pack 2 on cd. ITs for the home edition, are there any differences?

thanx
    Nope, no difference. Choose the person closest to you here, and pop them a PM requesting it....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I understand you're doing this for 56 kers but Are links to the real deal .exe forbidden? Or do we have to use Microsoft's update page?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Get a copy sent to ya on cd here if you don't mind Microsoft knowing where you live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Are MS shipping the 266Mb version? Can I make a slipstreamed version with the MS SP2 CD?

Advertisement