Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a Number

• 24-08-2004 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

1. Pick a Number between 1 and 9 :rolleyes:

2. Multiply your number by 9. :rolleyes:

3. If you have a single digit number ( e.g. 3) leave it as it is. If you have a double digit number (e.g. 13), add the two digits together. :rolleyes:

4. From this new number subtract 5. :rolleyes:

5. If A = 1, B = 2, C = 3, D = 4 and so on through the alphabet, Let your new number equal a letter of the alphabet. :rolleyes:

6. Think of a country that begins with that letter. :rolleyes:

7. Take the 2nd letter of that country and think of an animal that begins with that letter. :rolleyes:

8. Think of a colour you associate with that animal. :rolleyes:

Now go to the bottom of this page

And you were thinking of a Grey Elephant from Denmark. And if not, hmmmm....... :eek:

Taught to me by my 8 year old niece

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Heard that one before. Very good though. :D I posted it myself a couple months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I thought it very good and was all the more amazed to have taught it by an 8 year old.

Sorry I borrowed your puzzle - but do you know of any similar ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I had a brown otter from the dominican republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

I was thinking of the grey elephant from denmark :eek: pretty cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

elephant from Denmark :D :eek: :cool: WEEEIRD!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

White Unicorn from Dubai (sp?)
    Why did I think of Dubai before Denmark? I bet there's a really obvious non-made-up animal beginning with u too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

MrNuked wrote:
    White Unicorn from Dubai (sp?)
    Why did I think of Dubai before Denmark? I bet there's a really obvious non-made-up animal beginning with u too.

You must be thinking about sand + Dubai isn't a country so maybe your geography isn't too good
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

One way or another your always going to end up with an Elephant from Denmark,still cool though

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Blisterman wrote:
    I had a brown otter from the dominican republic.

as did i ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Pink Elephant from Denmark :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Brown Antelope from Darfur? Except Darfur isn't an independant nation yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Apparently Dubai is one of the United Arab Emirates. That explains how it came to mind so much faster than Denmark. The way I don't even know what it is and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Dummy wrote:
    1. Pick a Number between 1 and 9 :rolleyes:

2. Multiply your number by 9. :rolleyes:

3. If you have a single digit number ( e.g. 3) leave it as it is. If you have a double digit number (e.g. 13), add the two digits together. :rolleyes:

4. From this new number subtract 5. :rolleyes:

5. If A = 1, B = 2, C = 3, D = 4 and so on through the alphabet, Let your new number equal a letter of the alphabet. :rolleyes:

6. Think of a country that begins with that letter. :rolleyes:

7. Take the 2nd letter of that country and think of an animal that begins with that letter. :rolleyes:

8. Think of a colour you associate with that animal. :rolleyes:

Now go to the bottom of this page

And you were thinking of a Grey Elephant from Denmark. And if not, hmmmm....... :eek:

Taught to me by my 8 year old niece

Multiply any number at all by 9 and the sum of it's digits is going to be 9 (I don't know anybody who would pick a number to begin with which would still be less than 10 after multiplying by 9 so step 3 can only have one outcome).
    After step four you will always have 4 as your answer, hence you will always be looking for a country beginning with D. In this part of the world I'd say 99% of people will come up with Denmark, leaving them to find an animal beginning with E (I came up with eagle but in hindsight that's a bird, not an animal).
    Chances are you'll be thinking elephant and grey.

Sorry to ruin the magic but I'm always more interested in why these things work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You beat me to it Milltown

Still a great riddle though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't know anybody who would pick a number to begin with which would still be less than 10 after multiplying by 9

1*9=9
    9<10
    I came up with eagle but in hindsight that's a bird, not an animal

Birds are animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

milltown wrote:
    Sorry to ruin the magic but I'm always more interested in why these things work.

I bet'cha that you sit in the cinema shouting in your loudest voice 'The killer's obviously the butler'. :D

The magic is alot more fun than why it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

my good im realli scared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I got a white unicorn from Dubai as well...

there's no non-fantasy animal that begins with the letter U (as far as I can tell). Dubai isnt a country??? ah well.

Denmark would have been my second choice and I think I would have gone for an emu though.

Advertisement