Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could 2004 hurling final be first draw since 1959?

• 24-08-2004 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Its a long time.
    As there hasn't been a draw in the All-Ireland hurling final since 1959 what are the odds on our clash with the Rebels this year going to a replay. Seemingly 2 evenly matched teams.

Obviously that would be welcomed by the GAA's accountants.

According to the GAA there has often been unsubstantiated suggestions in the past that referees have played for draws in very tight games. To counter this they claim the ratio proves that it's very much a matter of chance.

There have been only six draws from 62 football games which works out at one in ten which is higher than the odds usually offered by bookmakers.

Similarly in hurling where there have only been two draws from 32 games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its a long time.
    As there hasn't been a draw in the All-Ireland hurling final since 1959 what are the odds on our clash with the Rebels this year going to a replay. Seemingly 2 evenly matched teams.

QUOTE]

evenly matched my eye. Having seen Waterford play both these teams twice this year. There can only be one winner and thats Kilkenny. By 5-6 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I wouldn't be so sure on that. Kilkenny have looked a bit rocky all year. Cork, feeling they left it behind them last year, are on a mission to win this year. Their demolition of Wexford showed that. It was like a minot inconvenience on the way to their main business. They won't brush past Kilkenny in the same way, but it'll be a tough game and I don't really see it ending level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

We'll need goals to win it.
    Was looking back at newsreel on 1959 finaL draw & replay at home the other day.
    5-5 from ourselves to draw it versus Waterford's 1-17.
    Think I'll stick a tenner on the draw that will cover cost of tickets for a replay just in case.
    Law of averages and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

I'm a cat myself but I don't see it going our way

unless cody starts using his subs strategicly we're gonna get swept out of that stadium
    dj is too old
    cork'll mark shef out of it altogether

and martin may not have the leadership qualities that andy had to pull that last five minutes out of the team

i dunno

would love the 3 inarow

but.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'm inclined to agree with Kev. I think Kilkenny will win by more than the odd point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I dont think you can compare the two Waterford performances as Waterford played far better against Cork, yet only won by a point.

The Cats have been up and down this year, mostly down on their past performances. If they can repeat their display against Galway, they will be unstoppable.

But overall this year, their forwards have been less than impressive. Sheflin was simply awesome against Galway, but has been less good since. I still expect him to have a great final. DJ is doing reasonably well - certainly well worth his place - I cant believe a KK man saying he's "too old". Not true.

Eddie Brennan has been playing well, but it is possible to mark him out of a game. Comerford is quality but has only shown it in patches. The other forwards (different lads in different games) have been consistently poor.

I think I'd move Tommy Walsh to half forward. I think overall he'd be more valuable to the Cats cause up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think Cork could rip them to pieces without Walsh in the backs , he has been one of the cats most consistant players , never failing to put on a good display .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

He's been having a good year, maintaining a high profile for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

JJ Delaney has been excellent as well. Peter Barry is also having a very good year. Noel Hickey is a rock at full back. Kavanagh is back in very good form. They need Walsh more in the forwards IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think Tommy Walsh has been Kilkenny's best player this year by some distance. I do not think moving him out of the backs would be a good idea at all. The kilkenny team rarely has trouble going forward. The amount of times I have seen Walsh pick the sliotar out of the sky and carry the ball to safety this year is phenomenal. I'd have him as my best player of the year to date. I am sure a few Waterford men will disagree with me, maybe thinking Shanahan or Mc Grath deserve the title but I think Walsh has been outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Tommy Walsh can play anywhere no worries there.
    Our backs are excellent ask Waterford but we need the forwards to click like they did that day against Galway.
    Cork are no slouches either. Maybe the lack of a real game since v Tipp wont help them.

Advertisement