Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Auctions

Options
  • 24-08-2004 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

i know the cops auction off bikes every so often but do they ever sell off cars motorbikes vans etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Yes, they advertise in the Independant a week beforehand - used to be a place on the Quays in Dublin but not sure now. Ring the nice people at Store Street and ask...

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Wilsons Auctions on the Naas Road usually handle them for them. www.wilsonsauctions.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Check www.merlincarauctions.ie
    They have Garda car auctions at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I'll just warn you that before you buy anything - you should arrive really early. Check out all the items, with a special eye for rust, etc. The last one I was at was a bit of a joke as people get excited and over-bid for disgraceful things. Most of the bikes I saw were pretty badly exposed to the weather and so on. Go, but bring your sensibility cap :)

P.S. That was in Kevin St. Garda St. I think - it was the bike one. But last time I heard they had a new complex - possibly the Naas Road one.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

The other thing to bear in mind is that these cars have never had a careful owner, have been bashed about a good bit in the line of duty, and been used to teach countless gaurds how to drive. Yes of course thay are highly maintained by the cops, but they age really quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The other thing to bear in mind is that these cars have never had a careful owner, have been bashed about a good bit in the line of duty, and been used to teach countless gaurds how to drive. Yes of course thay are highly maintained by the cops, but they age really quickly!
    I was under the impression that the Gardaí used these auctions to dispose of impounded vechicles too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I was under the impression that the Gardaí used these auctions to dispose of impounded vechicles too?

Impounded vehicles are eventually crushed. They can't sell them off as they don't own them, they are still registered to the owner. AFAIK.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went to the auctions once (a good few years ago) and saw loads of high mileage exec cars and the usual plod cars with their stickers removed, etc. There were also bikes which had the electrical parts removed leaving plenty of holes, etc. in the bodywork and some redundant cabling, etc.

I wondered why so many dealer types were scavenging through a lot of crap - I wouldn't touch any of them. Furthermore, most of these cars if sold will have no resale value IMO. As mentioned before they will not have recieved much TLC by their previous drivers and I don't think service history is present on many of them.

What finished it for me was the fact that a burnt out garda fiesta van (totally charred including the engine) was sold for IR£750. It wasn't worth scrap!

Advertisement