Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Gets 1Mbit ADSL for under €27 a month all in.

• 24-08-2004 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Its from Freeserve, now known as Wannadoo

It has a really low CAP, 2Gb. and if you exceed it you are throttled to Email only for the rest of that month. Caps not to be enforced till next year though . Story Here

If you want 1Mbit and a 6GB Cap thats about €36 a month .

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

2GB?! What's the point in having a 1mb connection with a cap like that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What a ****e offer,
    Hope Wannadoo go down the drain with those kind of packages
    2GB ffs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

PiE wrote:
    2GB?! What's the point in having a 1mb connection with a cap like that.

Faster speed does not necessarily equate to downloading more you know. 2GB is low but it would be ideal for someone like my father who demands faster speeds but yet will never reach a 2GB cap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ya sure about that?
    You tracked usage using DU Meter or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

I agree with the previous comments about the 2gb cap...

At the moment, i never go near my cap..

But, if i could get my hands on 1mb transfer....different story..

it would be so tempting to download big...because you can quickly...that cap wouldnt last ******g time

Just My Opinion

• Advertisement

Hey cabaal...Nice to see another Waterfordian here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have 1.5mbit with no download cap (well there's a guideline... but never enforced) for €50 a month. Neener... neener neener!!!

Who are you with? Sounds good for €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

heh. why go for that when you could go for telwest or bulldog for a few quid more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Muck wrote:
    If you want 1Mbit and a 6GB Cap thats about €36 a month .

M
    Actually, its £29.99, or EUR34

Just like Eircom, except Eircom is 8GB for €40.*

*Don't know if this is for the 1MB line, tho. Pretty sure it is. Depends on what FTP I go onto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Well I agree with everyone else. The 2gb cap makes it sorta pointless. :(

netbeatz wrote:

But, if i could get my hands on 1mb transfer....different story..

it would be so tempting to download big...because you can quickly...that cap wouldnt last ******g time

You forget that you and other people who reach their cap are the unusual user, you are not the average consumer. If there is a package tailored to the average consumer being brought to market. A package where it is cheaper as the cap is lower then you should welcome it, and welcome the fact that it is not the only package out there. There's loads of different options.

This price drop will mean more consumers coming online. They will generally help to reduce prices and you could see the benefit of this (if you were in that market). Broadband has not reached mass comsumption yet, packages like these will help it to arrive at this. When that happens there'll be great compeition, low prices and lots of option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

damien.m wrote:
    You forget that you and other people who reach their cap are the unusual user, you are not the average consumer.
    damien.m wrote:
    Broadband has not reached mass comsumption yet, packages like these will help it to arrive at this. When that happens there'll be great compeition, low prices and lots of option.
    Aye, but mainly those who are on BB @ the moment DL large files. Knoppix, and several Vietnam mods, not to mention trailers, gaming... it eats the cap in no time. So none of this "your 1 in a million" thing, please.

netbeatz wrote:
    Hey cabaal...Nice to see another Waterfordian here :D

I'm actually from Kilkenny, I just live/work in Waterford :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The whole point of this is to have ppl sign up for the 2GB cap product and when they do introduce the caps next year (when they are used to 1Mbit with effectively no enforced cap) BAMMMM ppl will realise that 2GB is piss and they will be forced to move to the more expensive, higher capped products. It's a trick :mad:

the_syco wrote:
    Aye, but mainly those who are on BB @ the moment DL large files.

Can you point me to a survey or some statistics showing that the average Irish user is a heavy downloader ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

syco is leecher.
    my parents got broadband for themselves, even when myself and my sister were in college the internet bill was always more than broadband so they got it. anyways, if it were up to my parents they would reach 2gb min or 4gb max per month. they still complain every now and then of the internet being slow ( no im not downloading anything at the time ). i dont think it would be any harm to increase speeds for this kind of usage, better customer satisfaction for a service that needs no hardware upgrading once its been installed. although the cap is really ****ty for people that want to download stuff. 3 cds and your over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

the_syco wrote:

*Don't know if this is for the 1MB line, tho. Pretty sure it is. Depends on what FTP I go onto.

Sorry mate you must be mistaken, Eircom is 4GB for €39.
    and 8GB for €55.
    Richy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

the_syco wrote:

Don't know where you get your currency converted, but everyone else gets over EUR44 for £29.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

My 'Under €27' was based on a tariff of UKP17.99 a month including VAT as per the link in the first article . The latest conversion from here

http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft-com/currency.asp

is €26.66 including VAT

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

heh. why go for that when you could go for telwest or bulldog for a few quid more

Telewest is like NTL over here, hardly anyone can get it (wouldnt mind their 2mb package for £50 though) and as for Bulldog that covers the central London area only.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'm assuming you're with NTL yea?
    Strage, mine only costs me €35 a month, so neener neener yourself :p
    Achilles wrote:
    I have 1.5mbit with no download cap (well there's a guideline... but never enforced) for €50 a month. Neener... neener neener!!!

neener neener nothing. you're not on 1.5mbps, you're on 750kbps, 150 up. so nyer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Nope, I'm on 1.5mps :) 512k up(I blagged myself into getting that upload)
    and considering I have this about 2 years, I've only started paying my first bill 2 months ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Achilles, lenny total out neerer neerered you on that one. ;)

Hrm we shall see. This could all be bs. Explain how u managed that one then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

was in holland recently and was checking adsl prices in a friends house, 55 euro get you a 8mb line!!! thats what 15 more than iol and 16 times faster, no cap either.
    Love this country!
    Jozi

I notice how he hasn't replied to my last post. So no, he didn't out neener me, he's just a bullsh*tting troll. Yeah i know had a mate who lived in holland a while ago too. It's a kick in the proverbials snickers aint it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Achilles wrote:
    It's a kick in the proverbials snickers aint it?
    Yeah big time, and i was close to moving over and enjoying high speed as its meant to be but things fell trough.
    Still happy enough with my iolbb

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Achilles wrote:
    I notice how he hasn't replied to my last post. So no, he didn't out neener me, he's just a bullsh*tting troll.
    that's a little harsh! if you've got the time then look through his posts. it's far from the first time he's mentioned it

Advertisement