Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2K Pro for Dummies

Options
  • 24-08-2004 3:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I know there's actually a book by that title, I'm just checking to see if there's anything better. This would be for a person with no unsupervised computer experience at all, and very, very little supervised experience. It needs to spell everything out to the letter.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've seen the win2k for dummies book and I didn't think much of it to be honest (not as a power user or professional, I was looking at it for someone else).

On the other hand I've found the Teach Yourself Visually series rather good generally (the win2k version is called "Teach yourself windows 2000 visually" oddly enough). They're not too in-depth (lots of pictures and the books are usually around 300pp) but they're worth a look as an intro.

Peachpit probably have a good-enough Win2k book (and the prices tend to be nice) but I reckon the pictures are too small for novices.

The Microsoft offerings tend to be quite good actually - there's a "Step by Step" series and a "Running" series (so to be concise & precise they'd be "windows 2000 professional step by step" and "running windows 2000 professional"). The Step by Step series tends to be slightly more novice-oriented but they're both worth a flick-through if you can see the things anywhere - if you can compare both offerings I'd recommend the one you find more appropriate.

Probably hard to find win2k books these days in Easons (O'Mahony's in Limerick still have a few I think but Easons, even in Cork, isn't really a proper bookshop & only seems to offer the latest and greatest) so if you can't find anything in Waterstones, Vibes & Scribes should still have that big section of "computer things people were running two years ago" unused section downstairs and it might be worth your while ambling in there as they really don't expect to sell them all so they're generally nicely priced. If you're in luck they won't be going through one of their periods where they have nothing but boxes and boxes of WinNT MSCE study guides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks for the detailed reply sceptre, much appreciated. I'm not sure if she (it's for the mother) would be better off with piccies or step-by-step instructions so I think the best thing might be to drag her into the shop and get her to flick through them. Where's Vibes & Scribes though? Is that the old Veritas or am I gone completely mad?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's on Bridge Street, a wee bit up on the right (opposite the Centra or whatever it is). Resourceful chappie that I can sometimes be, I found a picture - ignoring the guy cycling the wrong way over the bridge, it's the tiny white/yellow shop just in front of the big white van parked on the right side of the street.

Maybe I should have opened that with "do ya want a f**g picture do ya feen" (ah, so long since I've been back in Cork):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah, I remember now. Thanks again sceptre, I'll pop up there next week.

adam

Advertisement