Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the best FPS out there, apart from Doom 3?

Options
  • 24-08-2004 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

I'm almost finished Doom 3 on my newly built PC, by far the best game I have ever played in terms of graphics, sound and the sheer terror it creates. For my next purchase, what other games are there that will not be a disappointment after the Doom experience? (I briefly played Far Cry before but it pales in comparison).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I'm afraid they're the best of the fps for now, half life 2 should be out soon, which should be a great game. but prior to that you should check out "call of duty" it's not as pretty as far cry or doom 3 but it is still a great game to play and there's an add on for it comin out next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

try system shock 2 its freee to download from the-underdogs.org. very scary game.

not as pretty but still its very deep and scary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing on the PC comes close to Metroid Prime.

But if you don't have a PC Call of Duty is a great game despite being very short and far better than Doom 3.

Or you could try the original Doom games. they look crap but they still play as well as they did all those years ago. JDoom can be used to tart up the graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ardent wrote:
    (I briefly played Far Cry before but it pales in comparison).
    you shouldn't really be comparing doom3 and far cry unless its their graphics that you're comparing.
    doom3 = claustrophobic horror that's practically on rails
    far cry = take on a mission however the hell you feel like

both great games imo. give far cry a proper go before you move onto something like *shudder* call of duty

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Retr0gamer wrote:
    *heap of utter tripe*

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Double rolleyes for you, fanboi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

/me slaps Stephen

If you like multiplayer get Battlefield : Vietnam, tis win.
    Note that while you can play single player with bots there is no singleplayer missions etc...its primarliy an internet game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

TBH it still hasnt got any better than Half Life... Far Cry is a decent enough game.. Halo is decent enough but is sort of runied by bugs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Doom 3 is the shiznit, just play it again, thats what im doing! :D

Apart from D3 tho, definitely try

Far cry (it really is great when you get into it, tho not a patch on d3 imo)
    Painkiller (if you liked doom 3, painkiller is some old skool run n gun gameplay with amazing graphics)
    Call of duty
    Halo (its not as bad as everyone makes out, i loved it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Nothing on the PC comes close to Metroid Prime.

yet the GC doesnt have System Shock 2 or Deus Ex....

Arden, if you havent had the joys of either game, then get going...both games tailor to your style of playing more so in Deus Ex where you really control whats happening...

I wonder how many people saved Herman and Navarro?

I've been plugging away at redneck rampage for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah if you didnt catch Halo on the Xbox then get it on the PC, fantastic game imo. I can even sort you out with a legit copy if you want.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

If you're not too bothered about the age of the games, then no one lives forever, alien vs predator, return to castle wolfenstein are good games that nobody mentioned. Nolf 2 is by far my faourite game on the pc, but wolfenstein is only really worth mentioning for it's multi player, and you can get enemy territory for free which is pretty much the same game.

Exhumed deserves mention, old as hell but ridiculous pace for it's time, and has some great shock moments.....lovely old game, very hard to find though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭edwardo

Best is of course a completely relative judgment. But having played every major player FPS ever for PC (with the exception of Planetside), I can recommend unequivocally any of the following (off the top of my head)

Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 - Underrated blasting fun, SOF 2's graphics still look decent enough, and its AI in later missions is fantastic. Some think the gore gratuitous, I think its hugely immersive.

Half Life - Still one of the most amazing single player games in any genre - hint, don't crack, play with the CD in, as the cd soundtrack is one of the most enthralling

Project IGI 1 (not 2) - Kind of like a proto Far Cry, huge environments and loads of freedom. Not everyones cup of tea, with major flaws (virtually no AI, no save) but with great sniping and arcady strategy - I still play it years after purchase

Medal of Honor 1 for PC - Better than Call of Duty IMHO, tho I know I'll get shouted down. Inarguably satisfying arcade fun

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Fantastic gothic horror. Nice (for quake 3 engine) graphics, amusingly cheesy story line, and more inventive monsters than most FPS's.

Unreal Tournament (original version) ? Fast paced online fun. Much less hardcore than counterstrike (i.e: you may actually have fun playing online without being an expert), and less pretentious than Quake 3 (you won't get people shouting noob), and requiring much smaller files in the way of updates than UT 2003/4 (as well as working much better than either of the others on a ****ty dialup). Lots of additional maps to download if you want to, but still plenty playing the original game.

Non FPS action games:

Max Payne 1 ? Inferior graphics to the sequel, but a much less over the top story and greater attention to detail (took over 5 years, so they had the time). Balletic bullet time sweetness.

GTA 3 + Vice City ? If you don't own these games either on PC or console your missing the most incredible fun. Hugely varied and enormous by any standards (other than RPG) these games will keep you occupied for months with their humor, freedom and engaging action (christ I sound like an add)

Giants ? beautiful quirky 3d action adventure which transcends genres and has a great pythonesque script

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

alien vs predator

you can get a demo of avp2 from the sierra website. pretty cool stuff..

halo is an obvious choice but i'm dying for killzone to come out for ps2. it looks so sweet...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I won't have Doom III until tomorrow at the earlist but it will have to be pretty special to be even consider pale in comparison to Far Cry. The general verdict on Doom III I have been hearing is good but brings nothing new to the table. But then again if it does the basics right I will be happy.

If you want a good online shooter my personal favourite is Day of Defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Painkiller is the most fun game i've played in a little while....each level is gorgeous and the monsters are varied. No AI at all tho....pure shooting!

Bosses are amazing but a bit easy to kill (and far better than Doom3's!!). And the icing on the cake is that it has the best weapon i've ever played with.....a hilarious stake gun thingie

p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Try "Thief: Deadly Shadows", don't know if it's classed as FPS, you can play in FPS mode or in third person mode. This game freaking rocks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Vietcong is well worth a look, if your into that type of game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

pekelly wrote:
    Painkiller is the most fun game i've played in a little while....each level is gorgeous and the monsters are varied. No AI at all tho....pure shooting!

Bosses are amazing but a bit easy to kill (and far better than Doom3's!!). And the icing on the cake is that it has the best weapon i've ever played with.....a hilarious stake gun thingie

p

The small multiplayer maps are excellent too. Nothing like impaling your bro to the wall with a few wooden stakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

demo 4 painkiller?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

AVP2, Mafia, NOLF2, COD, GTA games, all classic. SOF2 is good for some quick multiplayer fun but by no means a good game.

Operation Flashpoint. Get it now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How could i forget Painkiller. A FPs that doesn't pretend to be anything but pure. i enjoyed it immensely.

I'd advise against RTCW except for the fantastic multiplayer mode. SP is okay for half the game but gets really bad towards the end.

Thought the SOF games were pure tripe tbh.

I've been meaning to play both system shock games but haven't had the hard drive space or motivation (read as lazy) to create a win 98 partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

If you want a Internet FPs game get Condition Zero, Or if you have Half Life just download Counter Strike. Or you can just wait for Half Life 2 and you should be able to get them Cs but improved i belive. Not sure if you will need to pay for the new Cs using the HalfLife engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Lads,

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit I only briefly played Far Cry in a multiplayer deathmatch situation. When I say "pales in comparison to Doom 3" I was referring solely to the graphics (although I remember being impressed by them at the time). I didn't play single player so I'm not able to make any comment on the gameplay. If it comes down in price I might give it a go.

System Shock 2 seems to getting good reviews in this thread and I've seen Halo on the x-box - looks great, hopefully it looks the same on a PC.

Lex - I might take you up on your offer of Halo for the PC, can you PM me details of your offer.

Ardent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

if you can forgive the woeful combat engines and graphics the deus ex games especially the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

TBH it still hasnt got any better than Half Life... Far Cry is a decent enough game.. Halo is decent enough but is sort of runied by bugs..

agreed...

Deus-Ex is also good, but needs some getting into!

but half life is where its at... if you havent played it, dont wait till 2 comes out... get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

System Shock two cant really be called a FPS... its more of a horror RPG that happens to be in first person ! great game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Theres no frame limiter on System shock (or any of the older looking glass games for that matter) so if you've got a decent spec it fairs whizzes along.

On my R9800 and Athlon 2800XP it zipped along at about twice the normal speed, there is a workaround but I installed the high res texture and decal paks and that brought it back down to more reasonable levels. Just done an all nighter at the weekend there playing through SS2 again, what a cracker of a game.

In my opinion Far Cry and Call of Duty are the best in the field at the min, Call of Duty for the movie type scripted sequences and immersion factor and Far Cry cause it feels like much more of a sandbox game, plenty of opps to do things your own way and experiment.

As for Doom3, well its a cracking engine and it'll be great when somewhen makes a game with it. Ah its a room, with ammo in the middle, and when I pick it up an imp appears in front and behind me, again. Truly did i wet myself.

Stalker looks good too, but thats not out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

koneko wrote:
    Operation Flashpoint. Get it now! :)

/me nods his assent

And watch out for Flashpoint2 in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

I actually suggest ya get Serious Sam! It's a class shooter even tho it is a bit silly. But then again there's nothing like 50+ enemies coming at you at once with you only having ammo for a shotgun...god bless Croteam!
    Also should try Jedi Knight, Quake 2 and definitely SS 2!!!

On a side note, thanks a million BlitzKrieg for givin us the url for the free games site...it's incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

Call of Duty... turn the sound up and play for a day or two and it blows any other suggestion for top fps out of the water :D

on a 3rd person perspective try max payne 1 and a more polished but with a more grating story max payne 2 are both good on "do not engage brain" level.

EDIT: reads up a bit to operation flashpoint suggestion and seconds the nomination.... while it doesnt grab you and it requires u to download a fair few patches and still put up with a fair amount of roughness and u also need to be in the right frame of mind to play it OPFLASH is one of the most comprehensive and well done war simulators... I'd highly recommend anyone to give it a go

Advertisement