Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communications Minister wants 3G phone register

• 24-08-2004 4:12pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From Irish Independent:
    The Minister for Communications Dermot Ahern has proposed the introduction of a national register for users of the next generation of mobile phones. 3G technology is expected to come on stream here later in the year. It will be capable of carrying video clips, and the government is concerned at its possible use by criminals, particularly in relation to children. Minister Ahern has said, "I have suggested and this is one thing that we are in discussion with the companies and the representative body at the moment, that is that there be a pre-registration of all 3G phones. In effect before anybody buys one they have to give details and if anything inappropriate appears on these phones it can be traced back to the person responsible."
    Any register currently on people purchasing small cameras? We all know that 3G is clearly designed to primarily appeal to the huge paedophile market, but what about other devices?
    And, in theory, would the registration be when you purchase the phone or when you register with a provider? Because if it's the former, what's to stop you purchasing one abroad and not registering? Or would they ensure your phone, when on a network, wouldn't work?
    Seriously, what a Draconian measure. Do they really think it's going to prevent the sickos who want these pictures? As I've said there are plenty of other means if they wanted to. But what hey, the Sun I'm sure will love it....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If someone is willing to use a camera phone for some of the stuff they are worried about, they will be more than able to find a way around it.

Advertisement