Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you go for

Options
  • 24-08-2004 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

If you had a choice, what would you go for. My options are-

New Ford Focus
    New Golf
    New Astra

My gut tells me the Golf, but if you had similar choices what would you go for? Bear in mind that all cars are the basic edition.

Cheers,

K-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf gofl gogofloglfodfglgolfogflgf.....sorry got a bit distracted there,
    Go for an 03 golf(mark iv methinks),well better in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf gofl gogofloglfodfglgolfogflgf.....sorry got a bit distracted there,
    Go for an 03 golf(mark iv methinks),well better in the long run

Yeah, dont bother with the new golf - it has turned into the blandest of cars - looks like an over-inflated polo. The 99-03 model (Mark 4 as Garth_Vader said) is a much nicer motor IMHO.

The new astra pretty much meets the golf on most features - I think Car Buyers Guide did a head to head on the two of them and they both came out pretty much the same. The Golf will probably have a higher resale value (check out the prices of 2nd hand golfs - they go for huge prices!).

Personally, a new focus would be my choice, especially as there are so variants to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Golf MKIV defo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

2001 Lexus IS200 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you must buy new, the new Astra is the best of the three by far. Golf received a very lukewarm reception and the Focus, although best in its class when introduced, will be replaced soon

How long do you want to keep it? What engine size are you considering? Would you consider buying second hand?

If you would, I wouldn't buy a Lexus IS200. Way overpriced.The cheapest 5 year old ones would set you back as much as an entry level brand new Astra :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

If you enjoy driving, then go for the Focus, if you care about build quality and resale values then go for the Golf. Can't think of any reason to go for the Astra unless there is an Opel garage near where you live, it'l be handy in the near future when it starts breaking down.
    Personally I'd go for the focus, I drove one a while ago, they handle beautifully, are well equipped, are good value for money, are easy to sell on, are very reliable but most of all you will look forward to every drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

:eek: GOLF is dead, Astra or ultra cheap focus would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fletch wrote:
    Can't think of any reason to go for the Astra

A bit out of touch there m8 ;)

Read any review or take it for a spin yourself and you'll know different

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I drive a focus. No compalints with it. One problem in two years. If i could go out and buy a brand new car right now it would be the 1.6 Focus Zetec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Focus, but beware, Im sure that model is due for replacement, so dont get stung.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you decide on a focus, find out when it it is due for replacement and buy the current model then - the dealers will be trying to shift all the old models then and you could get some very nice discounts

Advertisement