Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irealnd squad for next 2 qualifiers!

• 24-08-2004 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Given (Newcastle United), Colgan (Barnsley), Kenny (Sheffield United)

Finnan (Liverpool), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Maybury (Hearts), O'Shea (Manchester United), Carr (Newcastle United), Doherty (Norwich City), Breen (Sunderland)

Miller (Manchester United), Quinn (Sheffield United), Keane (Manchester United), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Kavanagh (Cardiff City), Reid (Nottingham Forest), Kilbane (Everton), Duff (Chelsea), Delap (Southampton)

Lee (Cardiff City), Morrison (Birmingham City), Connolly (Leicester City), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur).

Dunne and Harte out again. Macken and Barrett dropped. Delap in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Interesting to see Delap back, surprised Barrett wasn't included though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

GIVEN
    CARR O'BRIEN CUNNINGHAM O'SHEA
    MILLER KEANE _____ _____
    KEANE _____

who would you fill in the gaps above
    Kilbane/Holland in centre?
    Reid on left, Duff up front?
    Duff on left, Morrison up front?

I'd go for Kilbane in centre anyway
    and probably try Reid with Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Certainly wouldnt be putting Miller on the right.. He has done nothing to suggest he is worthy of inclusion yet..

Put Reid on the left and force Duff out onto the right constantly swap then over during the match. I feel Duff would handle the swap over to the right better and he is simply just a better player..

I would prefer not to see Keane in the squad but he is the best there so I will lost beyond the problems I have with him... I would Kilbane or Holland in the middle with him depending on the opposition. I think Kilbane adds alot to the team (it pains me to say it too).

Keane and Clinto up front.. Clinto doesnt put too many away but he can hold the ball up like no other in the team and can put himself about. Compliments Keane's play too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Duff is the most out and out winger you'll get while Reid is less a winger than someone like Pires. I'd have Duff on the left with Reid on the right and let him drift inside.

I know it won't happen but Kavanagh is my first choice to partner Keane. Kavanagh is just what we need in the centre, he got 6 goals and 7 assists last season in just 26 games, albeit in the 1st division. If Holland plays, he'll play the holding role and Keane will get forward more. If anyone else partners Keane, Keane will play the holding role.

Morrison will have to do up front for the time being (as long as he's fit, which is a doubt). While Morrison isn't the most prolific goalscorer, Keane gets more goals when playing beside him. Keane has scored 4 goals in his last 6 games partnering Morrison (he only has 2 in 6 when partnered with someone else) which is a superb record at this level and is making up for Clinton's lack of goals. Its also only a matter of time before Morrison scores and when he does I'll be expecting more.

BTW, Duff didn't make the bench for Chelsea tonight. Chelsea made 5 changes and Duff wasn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Ah feck it, Duffer has to move on, wouldn't mind seeing him at Anfield...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

unless duffo changes his name to "el duffo" he wont be seen at anfield. benitez needs time to adjust to the english game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

eirebhoy wrote:

BTW, Duff didn't make the bench for Chelsea tonight. Chelsea made 5 changes and Duff wasn't one of them.

Mourinho said a few weeks ago that he has two players for the left-side
    (Robben and Duff) and needed no more: "closed".

Robben is injured, Duff fit, not in team!
    Mental barrier me bollix.
    something is rotten :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

knobbles wrote:
    something is rotten :(

and its Mourinho , he may soon find out that other than Robben , he will be missing too much width to have success .

I don't know when Arsenal will meet them , but I think they will tear them apart , a 4-0 win or something of the sorts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really think once they face a strong team they are gona get hammered.
    They are what arsenal used to be like maybe 3 seasons ago, way too much route 1, now Wenger is like uber attacking and Arsenal play great attacking football.
    He learnt the right way, hopefully Mourinho will too.
    ALthough I doubt it based on the fact that he won the CL playing this type of football so he assumes it can only be better with a better squad.

We'll see how well he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

eirebhoy wrote:

If Holland plays, he'll play the holding role and Keane will get forward more. If anyone else partners Keane, Keane will play the holding role.

Disagree with you there eire, I think with Keane and Holland in the middle Keano will sit back and Holland will get forward. Hollands last goal before the Romania game was in the World Cup finals and when he scored against Romania......Keano was his partner in midfeild.

I think when Roy Keane doesnt play, Holland feels he has to sit back and disappear but when Roy plays he does push forward abit. But i would like to see Kavanagh and Keano together but its not going to happen against Cypus. If Kavanagh hadnt of missed the end of season games then i think he would be starting in Midfeild.

Why has Brian left Barrett out???? he was brilliant against Holland and Jamica and what has Delap done for Ireland recently?? nothing.

I hope Morrison is fit, i think we would all like to see him scoring goals because he always works really hard for Ireland and the only thing missing from he game is goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm glad to see Delap's inclusion because I think he's been the best Irishman playing in midfield over the past 3 years that isn't Roy Keane. I think if it wasn't for the timing of his injuries he'd be regular first choice for Ireland now.

On the evidence of the summer and autumn friendlies, my team would be

Given
    Carr---Cunningham----O'Brien----O'Shea
    Finnan
    Keane----Kilbane
    Reid
    Duff

Keane

Miller just hasn't shown anything at either club or country level so far to suggest he is ready. With Delap not having much in the way of international exposure and the old Gilsey dictum of "you play your best players", I'd go with Finnan on the right with Delap being the next in line for midfield or right wing.

Kilbane, despite his shortcomings has come through as the best midfield option with Keane and I think playing with Keane may even help him. He nicks the odd goal too and he's decent in the air.

I think at this stage Reid has shown he is an unpolished gem and although it pains me to say it, he really needs Premiership football to realise his full and rather large potential. I'd really like to see him and Duff play an interchanging sort of game, with Reid drifting inside to link up if he has to. I don't think its too flattering to compare Reid to Pires slightly, Reid really has come on in his ball winning, tracking and tackling. His workrate has improved no end in the past 3 seasons (you wouldn't have known him 3 years ago) and for my money its just a case of him learning when to pick the easy pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Duff is the most out and out winger you'll get while Reid is less a winger than someone like Pires. I'd have Duff on the left with Reid on the right and let him drift inside.

I agree totally with the above postitioning. My 11 is :-

Given
    Carr---Cunningham----O'Brien----O'Shea
    Reid
    Miller
    Keane
    Duff
    Keane----???

the only problem I have is who to partner Robbie (providing he is fit). Holland wont be fit so he is not included. Either is Clint (no massive loss there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Mine would be:

Given

Carr--Cunningham--O'Shea--Finnan

---Miller---Keane---Reid

Keane---Duff

Morrison

It's just crazy enough to work!!

mine is :(with all players egible for Ireland available)

Given

Carr---Cuningham---O'Brien---Harte/Quedrue

Barret---Keane---Kilbane----Duff

Reid

Keane

But with the squad available : either Miller or Holland on the right of midfield and Finnan at left-back .

Big Ears wrote:
    Quedrue
    Quedrue is eligible to play for Ireland? I thought he was a frenchy.

DapperGent wrote:
    Quedrue is eligible to play for Ireland? I thought he was a frenchy.

yes but , with having an Irish grandparent being popular nowdays(and in the past too) he got himself one .

He's a quality player and I could just imagine him scoring a goal against France that puts us through to the World Cup and puts them out .
    He's 26 in 2 days by the way , so he aint ancient either .

Jebus. Irish grannies appear to be total slappers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DapperGent wrote:
    Jebus. Irish grannies appear to be total slappers.

LOL :D

everyone seems to have a irish granny hahahaha:)

the line up is for irelands next 2 qualifiers so there is little point in putting players down to arnt fit... lets stick to the threat ;)

I dont know why everyone is trying to fit in either duff up front or duff and reid on the left (in some strange looking positions). Even www.sportinglife.com are going with that one. I really think he should be on the right, we have NO ONE over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dewey wrote:
    Disagree with you there eire, I think with Keane and Holland in the middle Keano will sit back and Holland will get forward. Hollands last goal before the Romania game was in the World Cup finals and when he scored against Romania......Keano was his partner in midfeild.
    You could be right but I very much doubt Keane will be sitting back for 90 minutes against the Swizz while Holland sits back in every match he plays for Charlton. :D

thejollyrodger, if Miller was to play it would be on the right. His most impressive performances for Ireland and Celtic have come on the right (Romania, Anderlecht). He has never impressed playing in the middle against top opposition (Poland, Nigeria, Vilerreal).

• Advertisement

correct me if i am wrong but isnt he playing in the centre of the park for UTD?? I wouldnt put Reid in the middle.

correct me if i am wrong but isnt he playing in the centre of the park for UTD?? I wouldnt put Reid in the middle.

at the moment you're wrong but now that Fletcher's back he mightn't be out wide any more .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Miller played in the centre against Norwich alongside DjDj, with Bellion on the right. But I think United will use him more on the right than in the centre.

Fletcher on the other hand will be used more in the centre than on the right IMO. Unfortunately I think Fletcher is the better player - but its very early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Big Ears wrote:
    yes but , with having an Irish grandparent being popular nowdays(and in the past too) he got himself one .

He's a quality player and I could just imagine him scoring a goal against France that puts us through to the World Cup and puts them out .
    He's 26 in 2 days by the way , so he aint ancient either .

Yeah this came up about 2-3 years ago. Think the end result was that he only has a GREAT-randmother which didnt qualify him to play for ireland. He definitely would be a great addition to the squad as his set-piece delivery wasnt so far behind Ian Hartes (though less goals from them) and he is a much better defender all round. Still, they way people were reacting to Macken joining the irish cause - he might not have gotten the warmest of welcomes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I would like to see :

Given

-Carr--Cunningham--O'Brien--O'Shea-

A.Reid--Keane--Kilbane

Duff

Keane----Morrison

Would prefer someone other than Morrison but unfortunately there isnt anyone else, and the Keane/Duff combo doesnt seem to work very well. Quinn/Barrett did well on the right in the last few friendlies but i dont think they are good enough at the moment for a competitive international fixture. If they start playing in the premiership then i might change my mind. Reid, I think is good enough to play anywhere in the midfield. Still he cant be relied upon to hold a position as he wanders too much (good attacking, not so good when the team is defending!) so in a midfield 3 he would have the required freedom. Dont like O'Shea at LB either, but who else could we play there except Maybury?

Advertisement