Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faster: firewire pci or firwewire on card reader?

Options
  • 24-08-2004 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi
    i need a firewire connection for my pc to connect up to my mini dv camcorder for transfer of video and also for internet streaming.
    i know that all firewire is same speed, but would there be any difference in speed between firewire on this card reader and a firewire pci card ?
    im torn between the two, as the card reader would be handy for use with a memory stick in the future and also comes with a 1m firewire cable, but i think it only has speeds maxing usb2, which would null out the whole aspect of having firewire (am i right about the usb2 connection on this?)
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

hold your horses a minute! ;)

The PCI card is what you need as it contains a firewire controller which is the bit which basically gives you an interface for firewire,Usually the pci card will have 2 or 3 ports on the back for firewire and 1 inside the pc.

The second item " firewire on this card reader" is ONLY a bit you can put into the front of your pc so it will be easy to get at the ports:mad:, this item would have a simple cable that would connect the front panel bit to the internal firewire port on a pci card. (basically an extension lead). This bit does the same for both usb2 and firewire, It also has a thing built into it that allows it to transfer media cardss over the usb2 or firewire.

I recomend you get this item; Sunsway/ST Lab PCI USB2.0/FireWire Combo ,2x FireWire (6-pin),3x USB 2.0,As it gives you both usb2 and firewire support for a pretty good price. Also do not worry about 4 0r 6 pin firewire ports as adapters are available.

good luck to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

thats great superman,
    thanks for the help!

Advertisement