Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shared drive suggestions...

Options
  • 24-08-2004 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

probably really obvious (or probably cant be done) but:

The situation:
    3 temporary users joined company.
    The boss does not want them on the domain or to have access to any company files.

However, he does want them to have a shared directory that they can access but cannot go any further up the drive tree.

But they have to have read and write access to the directory.

so:

Can I set permissions to allow these three people access to a shared folder even if they are not members of the domain and still keep the other directories secure?

Would setting it up as an FTP directory and then mapping the ftp site to a network drive work? give it public access but only from inside the firewall?

A seperate work group perhaps?

answers on a postcard and I will answer any questions you may have. I'm aware that I've given hardly anything to go on above. Brain = melted at the mo'.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does the rest of the office need to see that folder too ?

if not then you could share one of the folders on one of their PC's to the others on a password level share.

Depends on if your backup SW will allow you to backup remote machines, if not you can use Ntbackup etc. to generate a file on the server which then gets backed up and maybe even allow your users to pull files there with the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yeah, other users on the domain need to have access to it. For the backup it needs to be on the server.

ah, life is never easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

On the file server create a local accounts for the temp users.
    Then just add the users into the access control list for the shared folder.

I'm assuming that the other shares on the file server are setup correctly and are not set to allow full control to the group everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

LoLth wrote:
    The boss does not want them on the domain or to have access to any company files.
    I can understand the paranoia of not wanting them to have access to company files but is he aware that the easiest way to do this is to add them "to the domain" but put them in a new restricted user group? (I'm assuming there's a "no" answer to that one). Especially if their stuff has to be on the server to get backed up in the first place. There are complicated ways to do it but they won't necessarily tie the user login to the drive space login so they're potentially not very secure.

Create new restricted usergroup, create suitable place on server, create new users, put them solely in the new "temp" restricted user group, add the temp space created for them to the permissions for other groups to they can see the temp stuff and you're done. It's the simplest way of doing it. There's full user transparency and as a bonus it's also pretty much the most secure. Why do it any other way?

Like bricks said, that's assuming there's no universal "everyone" access (if there is, slap your sysadmin repeatedly with a spoon for being a useless dufus)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

the server is a PDC so no local users.. only AD users and computers.

Think I'm going to have to go for the "temp" group of super restricted users.
    Was my initial suggestion to the boss but he wanted to know if there was another way of doing it.

thanks for the suggestions lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement