Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live voltage from my TV's sockets

Options
  • 24-08-2004 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

I have a what seems to be a live voltage coming out of the aerial and SCART sockets of my Akura TV and when I have the digibox plugged into same said voltage appears in all manner of strange places (like the F-connectors on the LNB etc)

Its strong enough to light a phase tester measures 48 volts to earth on a meter and on an anyways wet day gives a shock to anyone (i.e. me) touching the LNB outside

Ive checked the mains plug (and socket) are all wired correctly and they are

Its not the only TV set Ive seen with this problem either. My parents JVC does the same thing (We tried hooking it up the video to the hi-fi onetime and everything became live) also when I plug out the tv set and touch the pins on the plug a couple of seconds later I get a shock

What the hell is going on here ? Surely manufacturers that sell TV sets like this are breaching SELV and general product safety regulations ? This sort of thing could be very dangerous if someone was working on a rooftop and the aerial was live. At the very least there should be an earth wire in the TV's mains plug to keep the chassis (and anything connected to it) at ground potential

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Make sure your ntl cable feed uses an isolation socket (if you have one) and I would also test the earth leakage circuit breaker on your fuse board, I doubt if the tv's themselvesare causing the problem as thet generally do not need an earth these days.

Mike 1972 wrote:
    Its strong enough to light a phase tester measures 48 volts to earth on a meter and on an anyways wet day gives a shock to anyone (i.e. me) touching the LNB outside

Ive checked the mains plug (and socket) are all wired correctly and they are

Its not the only TV set Ive seen with this problem either. My parents JVC does the same thing (We tried hooking it up the video to the hi-fi onetime and everything became live) also when I plug out the tv set and touch the pins on the plug a couple of seconds later I get a shock

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Moving to home entertainment as it's not strictly a satelite issue.

Advertisement