Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Killybegs

Options
  • 24-08-2004 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭

I noticed a page on a killybegs website which is about broadband for buisness users in the town via wireless or direct line. Here is the full thing:

Trojan Technologies Ltd Launchs Super Broadband Service In Killybegs
    23rd Feb 2004

TROJAN TECHNOLOGIES LTD LAUNCHS SUPER BROADBAND SERVICE IN KILLYBEGS

Trojan Technologies Ltd, today (10th February) announced that it has launched its, fixed price, 'Always-on', broadband Internet service in Killybegs. After frustratingly waiting for Eircom to bring Broadband to Killybegs, Trojan Technologies has taken the bull by the horns and has purchased a Private Broadband Circuit for the town of Killybegs-which Eircom and Eircom Net have jointly installed. Major towns around Ireland have an Internet Point of Presence and now Killybegs can join them in having one of their own. Trojan has joined forces with the Killybegs Fisherman’s’ Organisation who have allowed this Point of Presence to be set up on their premises in the centre of the town.

Trojan Super Broadband is being brought from the KFO building to customer premises by either direct cabling or wirelessly using the new Wi-Fi Network standard 802.11b/g.

From the outset Trojan is offering every customer the standard speed of 2048k Download and 2048k Upload. Killybegs is the first town in Ireland to have 2048k as its primary Broadband offering-the standard in other towns being 512k. Hence Trojan has christened their offering Super Broadband to distinguish it from others on the market.

Trojan Super Broadband is the complete solution for the Business Community in Killybegs. In conjunction with the Super Broadband services being offered Trojan will be able to create VPN’s across their network for users who need the service.

“We will be routing VPN’s for companies such as Swan Net Gundry from launch. On Swan’s VPN we will be carrying voice and accounting information-it will mean for Swans that all there world wide depots will be live with the Killybegs Head Quarters and also all voice calls to the depots will now be FREE. It is obvious this could mean huge savings and brings such a wide spread company closer together. Trojan is sure that there are other companies in Killybegs who could avail of this service and we have the Network and the Expertise in place to deliver this solution to them over and above standard Internet use”.

Trojan is currently working on a solution for home users and hopes to announce something in the very near future.

For further details

Contact

Troy Armour
    Managing Director
    Trojan Technologies Ltd
    +353 86 8088769
    troy@eircom.net

I know the story is a bit old and dont know if it has been posted here before. The service sounds impressive compared to anything that any of the big companys have on offer. I dont know of a price for any of it, but will try and find out. There is no mention of a cap, I am guessing its unlikely as there must be quite a bit of bandwidth available to him and there wouldnt be that many using the service at the minute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dunno what their backhaul is either. Kilcar will have DSL in a few months BTW

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Trojan Super", MD Troy Armour.

Sounds like a Simpsons condom maker.

Like you say digiman, sounds impressive. I'm curious as hell as to what the subscriber cost is (business only I see) but good luck to them, Killybegs would have been waiting a while. Anyone using this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

"Kilcar will have DSL in a few months BTW"

No offence to kilcar or anything but I would be hugely surprised if kilcar managed to get broadband before killybegs. Where did you hear this anyway, is it eircom that is providing it.
    Meant to say this in previous post but if eircom have jointly installed this service how come they cant get DSL done. This wouldn't be a DSL service that Trojan Technologies are providing would it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Somebody else mentioned Kilcar getting broadband too. It will get BB as "Kilcar is being enabled under the Udaras scheme and is in the programme to roll out by March 2005" (Eircom email). I wish to hell I was in Udaras area! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dungloe will also be done by March 2005 under the Údarás scheme while Bunbeg(Gweedore) is live . It cost the Údarás c €90k per exchange, upfront naturally. Killybegs s not in a Gaeltacht . Glencolumkille will get Wimax from O2 .

Belmullet
    Carna
    Carraroe
    Ballyvourney

are the others to be done under this scheme.

M

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    I wish to hell I was in Udaras area! :(

Same as that, I am 3 mile from Killybegs so hopefully I will get on the killybegs exchange when its enableled or whenever Trojan Technologies get a home service there wireless will extend this far.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hm, 3 miles might be too far from exchange for DSL to work. Your best hope might be if Trojan offer domestic wireless broadband. Then of course you'd need to be in direct line of sight with their mast/transceiver/whatever!

I'm stuck half way between Ballyshannon and Donegal so I'm screwed. :( I'll need to move!

byte wrote:
    I'm stuck half way between Ballyshannon and Donegal so I'm screwed. :( I'll need to move!

Moving to donegal town could be your best byte option for the forseeable future. I dont think I would have line of sight with a receiver in Killybegs, unless they put up a really high antenna. At least I will be going back to college in a few weeks so il be able to access the campus network again. I read somewhere that they had got a gigabit connection to the internet recently. Its a pity I cant get past their firewall though. Will just have to make do with the network for getting my films and music.

Advertisement