Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ridiculous New Gillette Ad

• 24-08-2004 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Meaning to gripe about this for a while....

Has anyone seen the new Gillette ad with David Beckham and Martin Kemp? It's incredible. It's like some pastiche of late seventies testosterone filled advertising but serious - like Austin Powers if he was played by Tom Selleck. It goes on about how every man knows what it's like to be a winner, how we enjoy "scoring" while the other guy "goes home empty-handed". Lots of moody men in black and white doing manly things and getting the girl.

What's next - car ads with bikini clad women on the bonnet? Unbelieveable!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

aodh_rua wrote:
    What's next - car ads with bikini clad women on the bonnet? Unbelieveable!
    They're called rap videos, or free ads for Bentley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yes it is ridiculous and annoying. Razor ads usually are, but this one is especially bad
    "You look - they smile"
    "You win - they go home"
    :rolleyes:

Also, in the part where Beckham is walking down the stairs he looks like a total muppet.

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Any ad with Beckham in it, loses some credibility. This is the guy who knows he is captain of England, but thinks he is Jonny Wilkinson, judging from that penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The saddest thing is that they're being serious... Such things should only see light of day in form of spoofs.

The "you win, they go home" line irritates me. As far as I think they mean that once the winning is over people go home, but I can't stop thinking of it in a picking up women kind of sense...

Come to think of it, all Gillette ads suck.. with the flying razors and stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have they moved onto 4 blades yet?

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:

http://images.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/05-07-04-products/LogisticEarth.jpg

Care of SomethingAwful.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You know I can see that day happening.

Yes, but didn't they say the second blade shaves you closer still leaving you with perfectly smooth skin? Did they lie to us? :eek:

Gordon wrote:
    You know I can see that day happening.

And judging by the rate of growth in blades, not too far in the future.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i remember that, and then on to three and they said that the third one takes away the final final last piece of hair left.

So why bother with 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Gordon wrote:
    Yeah, i remember that, and then on to three and they said that the third one takes away the final final last piece of hair left.

So why bother with 4?

to take away the folicals of hair , aswell as lots of skin . :p

Cut to the chase; why don't they just give us a scalpel and be done with it? :)

Personally I'm happy with my manly rusty slightly blunt meat cleaver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I was over in Boots headquarters in Nottingham last week on business and a Gilette roadshow was there. Believe it or not, they are actually bringing out a battery powered Mach Turbo razor. They were handing them out free if you let some great looking women actually shave you. Unfortunately I couldn't avail of the offer as I was stuck in meetings all day. :(

I am back using the plain old twin-blade, disposable with no swivel head. It does the job and for a fraction of the price of all these fancy ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wilkinson (Sword not Johnny) have a 4-blader:

4-bladed idiocy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hate that idiotic ad.
    Its worse than the last mach 3 one where the only thing new about it was that its RED. WOW LOOK HE HAS A FERRARI IT MUST BE BECAUSE HE USES A RED MACH 3!!!111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Gordon wrote:

I'm waiting for something that needs two hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tbh the new Sprite Zero add is worse.

-Women takes off her sweaty top
    Voiceover : "Drink Sprite Zero!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

remember the sprite ad for shaving- "Sprite, you know it just aint right"

That quarto website is stupid, they claim that putting a fourth blade on is a technological breakthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Another ad that I can't stand is the one for head and shoulders shampoo where the guy's girlfriend is wearing his boxer shorts. For some reason yer man in that ad annoys me intensely.

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Does anyone know that guy who does the voice on like 90% of radio ads, the guy with the weird posh trying to be cool/friendly voice. He's on TV ads now too and it makes me soooo angry. I have to go outside and attack the trees in the back with a sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

What's next - car ads with bikini clad women on the bonnet?

Dunno - y'live in hope...

serious point though...erm...the fact that we're talking about ads and mentioning names means that, sadly, the ad has done 50% of its job, insofar as you are 'brand aware'.

the only thing left is to see that you buy the product next time you're in the store.

Pal o' mine worked/works (dunno really) in marketing for johnson and johnson, and I was reading her the riot act re annoying personal hygeine ads...I think my line was 'more nudity, less crap' (not one of my better arguments, i'll grant you!). Anyway, her line was that most co's are well aware of the irritating nature of these ads, but they don't give a ****. Essentially, in, for example, the razor market there's a %age of the population who'll regularly stump up for disposable razors at a premium price on at least one of these grounds

a) Beckham uses it
    b) Beckham probably uses it, but at least endorses it
    c) I will become a right lovegod if I do too
    d) It's a nice colour
    e) my life will be filled with slo-mo activities where i shall look rugged, manly and well toned

If an ad campaign can make you buy 'Brand X overpriced 7 bladed razor with go faster stripes, aloe vera and newt blood' over Brand Y, which has only 6 blades, then it's money well spent...

I think this is a good time for the Bill Hicks fans on the board to post his rant on people who work in marketing. It involves sucking on tail-pipes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"I bet your waiting for the joke to come, yea, Bill is only messing, its a joke. This is no ****ing joke, if you work in marketing save your soul and kill yourselves now. This is not a joke. Kill yourselves"

Advertisement