Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to return my Vodafone WAP 2 phone!

• 25-08-2004 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought the Nokia 6600, from a vodafone store, several weeks ago and because it's a WAP 2 phone I still cannot send MMSs.

I used to send lots of MMSs, and without it, the phone is of little use to me. I've called Vodafone customer care several times and each time they tell me their enginners are still working on it.

I want to return the phone, and get out of my 12 month contract, but because it's more than 14 days since I signed the contract, I won't be able to.

Do you have any advice on how I can get rid of this phone? Get out of this contract, and port to o2?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Pay off your next bill form vodafone then stop paying, they will cut your line off, then go to an unlocking shop and get the phone unlocked, then get an o2 sim and put it in.

That Might Work :confused:;):confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Can you not just use the regular WAP/GPRS for your MMS? I'm with Voda and have a WAP2.0 phone but I have MMS set up for standard WAP (not WAP2.0) and MMS works fine for me. I'll change the settings to WAP2.0 once WAP2.0 MMS has been launced. Will the 6600 only accept a WAP2.0 connection or something? I'm using a Sony Ericsson K700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Pay off your next bill form vodafone then stop paying, they will cut your line off, then go to an unlocking shop and get the phone unlocked, then get an o2 sim and put it in.

And that way you get a bad credit rating for the rest of your life.

You may have a case though for saying that they promised mms services and they still haven't provided it. Although I'm guessing their lawyers have their asses covered as tight as hell. To be honest your prob stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

There is a legal concept of "being fit for purpose". That is the product was sold to you as being able to send MMS messages. You now find that the phone cannot send these messages and is therefore not fit for the purpose it was bought for (or it doesn't do what it says on the tin!).

14 days or not they sold you a product that doesn't work as advertised and therefore the contract is void. Bring it back and if you get any stick from them call the ombudsmans office (and let Voda know you are doing this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

A friend of mine had a similar problem with MMS on Voda prepaid with a Nokia 7650. At the time (Vodafone Live! had just launched), I had a contract Voda 7650 and no problems with MMS. She rang Customer Care many times, spoke to supervisors etc. and was given the whole "engineers are working on the problem" spiel etc. - they had no comment on the fact that my contract phone was working fine.
    In the end, I was so annoyed that I made a complaint to ComReg on her behalf (as she had bought the phone on my recommendation). ComReg got on to Vodafone who wrote to us both pointing out that in their Terms and Conditions, they cannot guarantee that the service will be working all the time and do not accept any responsibility for this. As a goodwill gesture, they credited her phone with €20. I ended up terminating my contract and moving to o2 as I was so p****d off with the way they handled the complaint, but I'm guessing that this 'disclaimer' is what they will use against you too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Can you not just use the regular WAP/GPRS for your MMS? I'm with Voda and have a WAP2.0 phone but I have MMS set up for standard WAP (not WAP2.0) and MMS works fine for me. I'll change the settings to WAP2.0 once WAP2.0 MMS has been launced. Will the 6600 only accept a WAP2.0 connection or something? I'm using a Sony Ericsson K700

The K700 is both WAP 1.2.1 and WAP 2.0 compliant but the 6600 is only Wap 2.0 compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

elderlemon wrote:
    There is a legal concept of "being fit for purpose". That is the product was sold to you as being able to send MMS messages. You now find that the phone cannot send these messages and is therefore not fit for the purpose it was bought for (or it doesn't do what it says on the tin!).

14 days or not they sold you a product that doesn't work as advertised and therefore the contract is void. Bring it back and if you get any stick from them call the ombudsmans office (and let Voda know you are doing this).
    A phones primary purpose is to make calls. The 6600 is not actually advertised (by vodafone) as been able to send or recieve MMS's. I've no idea what time scale you are looking at for vodafone to roll out wap 2, but O2 have it only problem is you'll have to pay two sets of line rental and you'l need to get a new number as Vodafone won't realise your number until your contract has expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yeah...nice idea, then he's left with a black mark on his credit rating, and legal action taken by Vodafone (and believe me, they DO take action).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

The K700 is both WAP 1.2.1 and WAP 2.0 compliant but the 6600 is only Wap 2.0 compatible.

Ah right. Guess he's stuck so. You'd wonder why Voda are selling the 6600 yet they are delaying the 6230 because WAP2.0 hasn't been fully rolled out yet. The mind boggles. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

gillo wrote:
    A phones primary purpose is to make calls. The 6600 is not actually advertised (by vodafone) as been able to send or recieve MMS's. I've no idea what time scale you are looking at for vodafone to roll out wap 2, but O2 have it only problem is you'll have to pay two sets of line rental and you'l need to get a new number as Vodafone won't realise your number until your contract has expired.

Actually thats not correct - unless you go back 10 years. Today a phone is a communications device whether that be voice, data, IM, mms or SMS. Its like buying a car - it drives ok but the wipers don't work. Would you still be expected to take it.

Legally unless Vodafone specifically told you that it would not receive MMS messages then they failed in their obligation to disclose all the relevent information to you so that you could make an informed decision before purchasing. Take it back and tell them that the contract is void.

• Advertisement

Also if you check the Vodafone website the handset is being advertised as an MMS handset with no mention of the problems with the service at present. So i would say you have a good case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I've a Nokia 6600, and am in the same boat, in not being able to use MMS, but my fone is an import, I knew about MMS not being supported when I got it.

But what annoyed me, was when people sent or tried to sent me MMS messages, they just vanished, so I got on to Vodafone, got talking to the premier team manager, and they going to refund the person who tried to send me messages and credited my account for the hassle.

Complain loud enough, and they will deal with you, just be realistic and pleasant (?) when you are talking to the agents, ask for the manager to call you back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you need to send em so badly why not use the email client on the handset?

Rergarding being sent MMS, call vodafone and tell them to disable MMS on your acccount. This way, any MMS sent to you will automatically be diverted to the MML and you can view em there.

Ah right. Guess he's stuck so. You'd wonder why Voda are selling the 6600 yet they are delaying the 6230 because WAP2.0 hasn't been fully rolled out yet. The mind boggles. :confused:

One can only assume they launched the 6600 on the basis that they were told the MMS issue would be resolved. They probably took the decision then to only launch the 6230 when all was well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

One can only assume they launched the 6600 on the basis that they were told the MMS issue would be resolved. They probably took the decision then to only launch the 6230 when all was well.

that's a lot of "they"s... so a bit unclear "who" told "them" the MMS issue would be resolved sooner?

that's a lot of "they"s... so a bit unclear "who" told "them" the MMS issue would be resolved sooner?

Vodafone expected the MMS issue to be resolved for the launch of the 6230.

The launch was tried again during this week but again was pulled at the the last minute due to ongoing problems.

Hope that it a bit clearer :)

I use "they" to represent Vodafone.. Thought was pretty obvious..

Advertisement