Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with IBB cutting out mid-download...

• 25-08-2004 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been having some problems recently with IBB when downloading large files. It works very well for speed for an hour or two but then stops alltogether.

This is more a problem when downloading using Bittorrent. Do they have some system to cut you off after a few hundred mb or something?

The problem is always solved by unplugging the modem for a few seconds, but it does mean I can't leave it running at night etc.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

blobert wrote:
    Hi there,

I've been having some problems recently with IBB when downloading large files. It works very well for speed for an hour or two but then stops alltogether.

This is more a problem when downloading using Bittorrent. Do they have some system to cut you off after a few hundred mb or something?

The problem is always solved by unplugging the modem for a few seconds, but it does mean I can't leave it running at night etc.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    IBB has 2 entirely different services (Ripwave and HomeBreeze), using at least 3 fundamentally different technologies.

Which IBB service are you using, and if it's HomeBreeze, which equipment do you have?

Are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I have a similar problem myself-intermittant cut outs. Happens to a few people as far as i know-and its not related to downloads as it seems to occur periodically with or without anything coming down-well thats for me anyway. Usually comes back on within a couple of minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

I'm on a 1mb VL Gear set up, I'm not sure what the package is called but it seems to be the business gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Having same problems....try to leave on a nite and only half file downloaded as its been cut off......have weird problem also when someone rings in main phone line if receiver is picked up i get cut off for 20 or so seconds but if i have walk around phone and i answer it i dont get cut off at all......i have the filters set up ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

mad m wrote:
    Having same problems....try to leave on a nite and only half file downloaded as its been cut off......have weird problem also when someone rings in main phone line if receiver is picked up i get cut off for 20 or so seconds but if i have walk around phone and i answer it i dont get cut off at all......i have the filters set up ok....
    What filters? Wireless doesn't use your phone line, there should be no interference there.

Unless of course you are using a portable phone, that runs on the 2.4ghz frequency, and so does your IBB antenne. If thats the case, select different channels on your handset until it doesn't interfere anymore. But that doesn't seem likely from what you describe.

Try using a download resumer, like Getright, so that you don't lose half your files.

@Blobert: Have you contacted IBB about this? Its really strange that somethine like that should happen, i've never experienced this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

this can occur with dsl because of the router. if you upgrade your firmware it could fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

I am using a Netgear Router.

I am slightly wary of messing around with it as last time I did (to try and open the ports for bittorrent) it got quite messed up.

How is this likely to be the problem?

Thanks for all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

blobert wrote:
    I am using a Netgear Router.

I am slightly wary of messing around with it as last time I did (to try and open the ports for bittorrent) it got quite messed up.

How is this likely to be the problem?

Thanks for all the help
    You could always remove the router, and see if your connection is stable then. Just make sure you have a good software firewall. I'd advise getting Kerio Personal Firewall.

If you don't want to do that, see if you can borrow another router to test with.

Advertisement