Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop the Star Trek series

Options
  • 25-08-2004 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Me and Shinzon (he works with me) were having a talk about St (just to distract us from world conquest ideas) anyway looking at the way Enterprise hasnt been the "best" series , i though thats its about time ST Wrapped up the series and stuck to movies , like in the 80s with st 2 ,3 ,4 and so on ,and when finally when theirs a massive hunger start the series again, instead of rehashing old plots/stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

No

Anyway useing the same logic they shouldnt do movies either seeming star trek 10 bombed like crazy .....star trek could be moveing in the right direction now with a new producer and writeing staff give the man time to work

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

No I'd have to say it would be a bad idea, I'm looking forward to Enterprise's next season, the last time I said this was before Deep Space Nine season 7, Enterprise is coming along nicely from the crud that was season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Haven't actually seen much of Enterprise, but I remember thinking both Voyager and DS9 were ****e when I first saw them. I think aswel the producers have learned alot of lessons from Enterprise on what not to do. If the next show is a flop I'd agree with you, but I think at least one more show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

No, i really like enterprise, whether its popular or not, ive been watching every episode since they've started showing it daily on sky one, its great to have voyager and enterprise straight after one another, i think they should keep it going.

I do think star treks next series will pick up with all the staff changes happening, re-shuffle it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Keep star trek going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

give it to the stargate writers, they rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

jaggeh wrote:
    LMAO oh please :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

im with you magick. stop star trek completely. Stop poking sticks into the dieing dog. I think all that money should go into new sci-fi series development. Fresh, bright ideas from new young writers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

I dont think they should get rid of it, so many people still enjoy it, and it still makes piles of money. I just think they need to change it round a bit, something new, rather then the same old thing, maybe about some ship thats not in starfleet or something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

jaggeh wrote:
    Excellent idea :D Those watching S8 can see how the writers seem to be refreshed and writing some great material.

• Advertisement

Star trek on its good day is still far better than stargate

Ds9 and TNG piss all over sg1 tbh voyager and enterprise havent been great but that might change now with a new producer running the show and a few new writers anyways doesnt enterprise get an adverage 2 million more viewers than stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

IM*H*O, Star Trek has been disappointing since about Season 5 of Voyager.

The first season with Seven was the last season of Star Trek I've really enjoyed (including Enterprise). I didn't like the films after First Contact, either. In my view, Star Trek has been on its last legs for years now, but no doubt the incredibly loyal fans will keep it going for a very long time.

Ya but that time the fans will help keep it going will if used smart give the new producer's and writeing staff time to improve the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea if in the (far) future a Star Trek tv-show is being launched which tells a story of an entire different crew and with an entire different approach... let's say something in a distant future of the Star Trek universe aboard a joint Federation-Romulan Galaxy-Warbird ;) That could give some interesting story material; and if it's placed in the future (for example the 27th century) they wouldn't have to think about the timeline too much so they don't risk screwing it up :)

The Admiral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I don't know why people think that E S3 was so great. I watched it an enjoyed it, but tbh it just looks like a poor version of the B5 series.. where there is an overall engaging "epic" story line through each series but with individual episodes as well. Now season 3 was "decentish" but not really that good. From a science fiction standpoint even voyager was better, as enterprise has been really hollow from the point of view of a sci-fi fan. Not to mention the treasure trove of cliche's that was the final episode.

Memnoch wrote:
    I don't know why people think that E S3 was so great. I watched it an enjoyed it, but tbh it just looks like a poor version of the B5 series.. where there is an overall engaging "epic" story line through each series but with individual episodes as well. Now season 3 was "decentish" but not really that good. From a science fiction standpoint even voyager was better, as enterprise has been really hollow from the point of view of a sci-fi fan. Not to mention the treasure trove of cliche's that was the final episode.

Voyager better? Not in a hundred years, season 3 was good, not great but a huge improvment from season's 1 and 2. As for a new series I agree with The Admiral, we've had the 24th centuary, a prequal, how about now they set a series in the distant future. Where the writers will be free once again (ENT's biggest problem, being a prequal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Enterprise i missing the humour and character interactions that DS9 thrived on..(apart from that slutty vulcan :P)

Imho, Voyager was crud for the first 3 seasons and even so the last few seasons had thier fair share of useless episodes, Neilex should have been stranded years ago and Chakotay should have been an aethist, and the romance between Paris and that Klingon mess of issues was as cold as borg luvin...

Enterprise didnt do so well in its first 2 seasons but season 3 imho was gold...it reminded me of the last few seasons of DS9 where the whole season was one big plotline... some parts appealled to some, other parts to others. some hated it but that happens... the story caught me...

Enterprise has a few amazing wild cards yet to play... the first klingon + feddy war, the first romluan + feddy war, a klingon + rommy war, the expansion of starfleet and many more....

A good idea for a new series could be based on the first feddy + cardy war....know for its brutal nature...band o brothers style?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Personally, I'd like to see the next series be set a few years (10 or so) after the Dominon war, and the commencement of exploration in the Gamma Quadrant - plenty of room for scope there, new races etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

BuffyBot wrote:
    Personally, I'd like to see the next series be set a few years (10 or so) after the Dominon war, and the commencement of exploration in the Gamma Quadrant - plenty of room for scope there, new races etc.

That's the same menu that was served with the Voyager series ;) It would pose a - i think - gigantic problem: how to NOT make it resamble with the Voyager episodes.
    TOS were basically "space encounter/exploration" episodes;
    TNG repeated the same menu and added an extensive amount of "character"-based episodes;
    DS9 was generally dealing with "cultures" on a crossroad (DS9) and the way all these characters dealt with it and each other; in the later episodes, DS9 became the centre of a continuous plotline (Dominion War etc)
    Voyager was completely based on "unknown space exploration"; so, except for the existence of the Borg in the Delta Quadrant, the writers had complete carte blanche.
    Enterprise is basically the same menu as TOS and TNG, but placed into an unusual time display (the only thing that should make it interesting imo).

A new series should have a different approach once again. Because if that doesn't happen, it will be nothing more than boring.

The Admiral

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

/me scoffs at the rest of ye unbelievers.
    im an unashamed optimist with regards to Star trek.
    i have faith in the writing talent. im sure they will delivier quality programming.

but they'll finish enterprise first :).
    another 4 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't see Enterprise lasting a full 7 seasons myself...I reckon once they make enough episodes (100 I think?), it's off to syndication land.

Which I think is a good thing...ok, so season 3 got better with the season long story arc, and while it was a good season in itself, I still can't think of it as "proper" Star Trek - they focus too much on the "Big 3" characters (no prizes for guessing who), and the rest of characters are forgettable (even after 3 seasons they still haven't developed them much - in TNG at this stage we knew a fair bit about each of them, DS9 is just a masterpiece from Season 3 onwards I think), and of course there's the well-documented inconsistency with established Trek history...the best thing that could happen is that it turns out to be an alternate universe or something (the Big Red Reset Button theory).

Give Trek a rest for a few years, then come back post-Dominion War.. dunno if I'd go as far as the 29th century (as we've seen in VOY/ENT) but definitely somethin in that timeframe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bizmark wrote:
    Star trek on its good day is still far better than stargate
    Them's fightin' words! Come over to my forum and say that :p I don't think I could quite agree on this, although if you said Babylon 5 on its good day, I may....
    Ds9 and TNG piss all over sg1 tbh voyager and enterprise havent been great but that might change now with a new producer running the show and a few new writers
    Well I definetely enjoyed TNG and really liked the later seasons of DS9. That's the sort of Trek I watched and enjoyed without having to scream stuff like "Fairhaven? Fair****inghaven!" at my TV :) Enterprise and Voyager though have spoilt the broth a little, much like all the recent bad Simpsons episodes have tained that show too for me.
    anyways doesnt enterprise get an adverage 2 million more viewers than stargate
    Whoa! You're using ratings to measure quality? Bzzt! Then, according to that logic, 'Pop Idol' is far superior to both shows. *tut tut*

Well much like all others, I'd love to see a story set some years after the events of DS9. Was the threat of the Romulan expansion ever really averted? There was plenty of potential there. I'd like if they kept its grittier feel too, where the Federation isn't quite as rosy as the other shows often make it...

Or of course, if you want to really reinvent, you could do some far future storyline and get some time travel thrown in.... That I'd certainly watch. But if they really do the early days of Kirk and McCoy I'll cry for what may have been. Please don't do Starfleet Academy please please please please...

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Can't see Enterprise lasting a full 7 seasons myself...I reckon once they make enough episodes (100 I think?), it's off to syndication land.

Which I think is a good thing...ok, so season 3 got better with the season long story arc, and while it was a good season in itself, I still can't think of it as "proper" Star Trek - they focus too much on the "Big 3" characters (no prizes for guessing who)

98 episodes would do the trick ;)

I agree the big three is focused on too much, I liked when they explored different characters such as Crewman Cutler. Deep Space Nine was a great classic particulary when it comes to characters, it would take me a while to count every semi-regular in it. However looking at the TNG films the "Big 2", Picard and Data where focused on too much also, so it's not limited to Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

the lack of character focus is a red herring imo.

ye are comparing enterprise on the back of seeing 7 full series of any of the shows appart from TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I dont think so myself...

At this stage (end season 3/start of season 4) in TNG, DS9 and even VOY, we'd seen a fair bit of secondary character/other senior staff development (don't forget how TNG changed Worf & Geordi's roles in season 2 to security and engineering respectively).

In TNG, we had the ongoing story arc with Worf's dicommodation, several Q episodes, Deanna/Lwaxana Troi focussed episodes and of course the outstanding work that was Yesterday's Enterprise & The Best Of Both Worlds.

DS9 brought us Garak episodes, O'Brien episodes, Dukat episodes and the beginings of the Dominion War etc etc..

VOY even had it's fair share of character development for all the criticisms levelled against this show.

And then there's ENT...hmmm.. ok, there's an Archer, Trip & T'Pol episode...there's another....oh look, yet another...oh wait, there's Phlox...*yawn* another Big 3 ep, oh look it's Reed - oh wait he's gone, and who IS that guy at the helm again??? ;)

Agree on the TNG movies though but don't forget who's been making them for the reason why it's the same sorta thing as ENT....

Few years rest, and some new "senior staff" OFF the bridge I think is required to boldly take the show to new frontiers (bad puns abound there :p )

ixoy wrote:
    Them's fightin' words! Come over to my forum and say that :p I don't think I could quite agree on this, although if you said Babylon 5 on its good day, I may....

Bab 5 and stargate sg1 (and atlantis) are great sci fi but star trek will always be better in my book :)

Well I definetely enjoyed TNG and really liked the later seasons of DS9. That's the sort of Trek I watched and enjoyed without having to scream stuff like "Fairhaven? Fair****inghaven!" at my TV :) Enterprise and Voyager though have spoilt the broth a little, much like all the recent bad Simpsons episodes have tained that show too for me.

I agree i am however hopeing coto can turn this trend around be it with enterprise or with a new show paramount already says if enterprise is cancelled it would only be 1-2 years till a new star trek show comes out

Whoa! You're using ratings to measure quality? Bzzt! Then, according to that logic, 'Pop Idol' is far superior to both shows. *tut tut*

Accpted stupid to use rateings to judge tv shows stargate is much better than enterprise s 1-2 and quite a good bit better than s 3
    Well much like all others, I'd love to see a story set some years after the events of DS9. Was the threat of the Romulan expansion ever really averted? There was plenty of potential there. I'd like if they kept its grittier feel too, where the Federation isn't quite as rosy as the other shows often make it...

Romulans arent a threat to the federation tbh they suffered badly dureing the war with the founders much worse than the klingons and federation then you had the reman coup (sp).Ds9 did a great job showing the federation it felt so much more "real" than TNG or Voyager it would be nice to build on that vision of the federation.
    Or of course, if you want to really reinvent, you could do some far future storyline and get some time travel thrown in.... That I'd certainly watch. But if they really do the early days of Kirk and McCoy I'll cry for what may have been. Please don't do Starfleet Academy please please please please...

I think they should go back to TNG time + 20 or so years deal with the aftermat of the war (billions must of died goverments must of fell fleets destroyed law and order could be lost in some sectors etc) twould be great ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think its time that Star Trek expanded its horizons and went into the 25th century with a new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok this is a little off topic but i have a gripe. As was discussed and proven by myself and a few others in a previous thread, when shows air side by side or movies air either after or during another series' season run, they're usally around the same timeframe, ie a few weeks and sometimes months off... but not by much. So why is it that here and in books and magazines i see things like 'the ds9 era or the voyager era or the tng era?'. grrrr... they all happened in sequence, not at seperate times, just ship and crews were different, that's all. So i guess my question is... why such references?

i see things like 'the ds9 era or the voyager era or the tng era?'. grrrr... they all happened in sequence, not at seperate times, just ship and crews were different, that's all. So i guess my question is... why such references?

no one says ds9 era or voyager era they all come under the TNG timeline

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DieHardGamer

Wouldnt it be cool if there was an episode where the Enterprise (archer) go through a time rip and meet Picard or Janeway! They could see first hand at how far they advanced. Or what would really be cool is if it happened to SG1 from stargate, the two greatest Sci-fi' in one episode, of course thats never gonna happen but it would be great viewing.

Advertisement