Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pal to ntsc ?!?

Options
  • 25-08-2004 4:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if its possible to get something to convert our pal aerial signal to an ntsc one ?!? or am i a fool for even thinking this might be possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Not directly. Best you could do is have the RF (PAL) going to your VCR, then take composite out signal (eg scart) and feed that to a standards convertor. An analogue convertor will allow you to watch it on an NTSC TV. A digital convertor will allow you to record to an NTSC VCR.

Or try capturing to PAL MPEG2 format initially and then author a DVD in NTSC format.
    http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

na thats sorta what im doing now, i got a cheap ati aiw card off ebay but its ntsc (lieing seller said it was pal and said hed gimme me money back but at a cost of me sending it back and loosing the initial shipping fee i cant be bothered) . Im using a scart box to output to it on a av cable but its far from ideal as i can only record one channel at a time :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Those capture cards are nearly always multi-region. Are you *sure* there's no way of changing the TV standard on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I wasn't clear on what exactly you wanted to do. I thought you wanted to convert PAL broadcasts to NTSC (eg recording something off RTE and converting it for the relations in the States).

Unfortunately, wrt the ATI card, you're stuffed! :( The tuner is NTSC and there's no way of changing it. I'd even doubt the guy in the US has a PAL tuner version as ATI would have no reason to sell that version in the US. So I'm afraid the TV part of the card is redundant.

It will do PAL and NTSC composite video capture but that's it.

The only recommendation I could make is to get your hands on an old scrapped VCR with a working tuner - it wouldn't matter whether the tape mechanism worked or not. Then again you can get PAL TV cards on Komplett for about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Kristok wrote:
    does anyone know if its possible to get something to convert our pal aerial signal to an ntsc one ?!? or am i a fool for even thinking this might be possible.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Whatever it is the results aren't going to be great, even professional conversion equipment gives poor results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Martin1974

Check this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you post the exact model number of the card ?

The manual mentions that the user should make sure to select the correct country when installing the card - it does not differentiate between US oe EU models !!

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

ZENER, ive an ati aiw 8500dv there is no option for region except after its installed and the only regions are ntsc regions like japan virgin islands usa etc, from what info ive found online ati make two versions with a pal and ntsc tuner different on each they are making newer cards with just one tuner for both but mine aint got the pal tuner :-( I got stung with this cause of a lieing ebay seller who said it was the pal version and only admitted it wasnt after he had my money and said hed give me my money back but once i pay for shipping and loose my orignal shipping it just wasnt worth it.

have had it a while am using the s video from my sky box to connect it to my pc and it all works fine (perfect video signal and records perfectly) but the ntl aerial signal has to come from my vcr through its av connections which means i have to use the vcr to change channels and the vcr dosnt tune in the ntl signal that great so its all a pain in the AV if i want to record from utv or c4.
    Martin1974 Check this
    That looks like what im after but its way out of my price range was thinking more like 30euro or somehting otherwise may as well just get european version :D

Advertisement