Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone is engaged when I use Broadband

• 25-08-2004 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I received my modem from Esat last night and setup the broadband/xbox live. Not a bother, all was straight forward (which was nice). However, when I try to call somebody from my phone now while I'm using broadband I always get an engaged signal. Anyone had anything similar ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Did you install the microfilters correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Yeah, I should have mentioned that

I've plugged the microfilter into the phone line (it is the double one) and then the phone and the DSL connection (just going to the xbox at the moment) into that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you have any other devices such as Phones, Fax's, Sky Digi box's also using your line they must also have a DSL mircrofilter on each of them.

If thats covered and your still having problems try limiting what you have connected to a dsl filter and phone at one socket (advisable the main one coming into your house) if your at the main socket and the problem continues you *may* have a wiring issue.

If it works at the main socket try reconnected all your devices one at a time till you run into the problem again...
    :)

Well it is the only line with a phone connected, although there is another 4 unused in the house. I'll try using a different line tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

It turned out to be a problem with the exchange. so, after a brief... debate with tech support and a 24 wait Esat fixed my line (after claiming it was Eircoms problem, which I was having none of). A good tip I got if this happens to anybody else is that you can put 13666 before a number and it bypasses the problem mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Ronan wrote:
    A good tip I got if this happens to anybody else is that you can put 13666 before a number and it bypasses the problem mentioned above.
    Note that you'll pay eircom rates for those cals, and they won't qualify for any savings plans that you have with ESAT, or whoever you CPS provider is.

Advertisement