Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle lane too narrow - so back to work

• 25-08-2004 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

The south bound cycle lane past foxrock church was noticed to be 60 cm too narrow on a final inspection of the recently completed work. Relatively major work has been undertaken to ensure the lane is wide enough before it opens shortly. There's more in todays times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

Despite it's recent design and construction, that new section is not great quality - obviously designed only to get cyclists out of the new bus lane, not encourage new cyclists to take to the road. There's one stretch where the slope on the cycle track is strongly towards the road and the surface is very uneven. Safer to cycle on the road in my opinion. (obviously not everywhere, but there are stretches of cycle facilities that I refuse to use for the purposes of self-preservation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The headline that the track is 60cm too narrow suggests that this is a trivial problem, but with the average width of a cycle track being 150cm, this is nearly a 50% error, the story appears to have been spun to draw attention away from poor design and management by the council, this is nothing new, we've been suffering this since the first 'cycle facilities' were imposed over six years ago.

Looking at the photo there does not seem to be any safety margin between the edge of the track and the kerb as required by DTO guidelines?

Also, is there a separate footpath?

C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

The section they are talking about never had a footpath. It was bushes etc. They then dug this away and put up a wall beside the new bumpy cycle lane. Odd design indeed. Now, they are knocking down the concrete wall and trying to get 2 feet back into the shrubbery. And no, there was no safety margin on that section.

Looks like they were busy working on the massive "Bus and Cycle Priority Scheme" sign down in Cabinteely. Its way bigger than the signs that randomly give distances of 9, 12, and 10 km to Dublin City centre within a mile. Gets very discouraging when you get to Foxrock Church and realise that you are in fact further away from town than you were in Cabinteely. Apparently.

Planning? They nearly did.

Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

jlang wrote:
    Despite it's recent design and construction, that new section is not great quality - obviously designed only to get cyclists out of the new bus lane, not encourage new cyclists to take to the road. There's one stretch where the slope on the cycle track is strongly towards the road and the surface is very uneven. Safer to cycle on the road in my opinion. (obviously not everywhere, but there are stretches of cycle facilities that I refuse to use for the purposes of self-preservation)

You speak my language jlang!!!! In general I find the Dublin cyclepaths very poor. It was better that they had done nothing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Another planning foul up!

• Advertisement

>>The section they are talking about never had a footpath. <<

Where will the pedestrians walk?

>>Looks like they were busy working on the massive "Bus and Cycle Priority Scheme" sign down in Cabinteely.<<

The section I have seen had no reservation for pedestrians. Where will they walk?

Has anyone seen the cycle track leaving along the N1, Northbound at the 'Coachmans'? Just after the main exit of Dublin Airport?

It's 150cm wide, with overhanging bushes and is marked as being for bikes and pedestrians on both directions. There is a 6 inch drop to the road on the right, with no safety margin.

While there is a minimum legal limit for single-directtion cycle tracks (100cm), there is none for 'shared-use' footpaths. I think the councils have seen this loophole and will exploit it. So, a 90cm footpath with cyclist use is permitted, but a 100cm wide track for cyclists only is not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

While there is a minimum legal limit for single-directtion cycle tracks (100cm), there is none for 'shared-use' footpaths. I think the councils have seen this loophole and will exploit it. So, a 90cm footpath with cyclist use is permitted, but a 100cm wide track for cyclists only is not.....

It would seem there is no minimum legal limit on the width of a cycle track, the term "spaced approximately 1 metre apart" was used in the ROAD TRAFFIC (SIGNS) REGULATIONS, 1997, but that was changed in 1998.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI274Y1998.html

S.I. No. 274/1998: ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1998

14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM023 (broken white line) which latter signs may be marked on the right-hand edge of the cycle track or on the right-hand and left-hand edges of the cycle track.

(2) The periods of operation of a cycle track may be indicated on an information plate which may be provided in association with traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A.

(3) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), a pedal cycle must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.

(b) Paragraph (a) shall not apply in the case of a cycle track on the right-hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 023 has been provided,

(i) where a person driving a pedal cycle intends to change direction and has indicated that intention, or

(ii) where a bus is stopped in the cycle track at a point where traffic sign RUS 031 (bus stop) is provided, or

(iii) where a vehicle is parked in the cycle track for the purpose of loading or unloading.

(4) Where a cycle track is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left-hand side of each lane.

(5) (a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

(b) A reference in paragraph (a) to driving along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

(6) Where a vehicle is parked on that part of a road in relation to which traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A is provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 or RRM 023 (cycle track), in advance of the commencement of the period indicated on an information plate which may accompany traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A, the parking of the said vehicle must cease and the vehicle must be removed from that part of the road prior to the commencement of that period save where article 5 (5) applies.
    http://193.178.1.79/ZZSI273Y1998.html

S.I. No. 273/1998: ROAD TRAFFIC (SIGNS) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1998

26. (1) Traffic sign number RRM 022 or traffic sign number RRM 023 shall indicate the right hand edge or the right and left hand edges of a cycle track.

(2) Traffic sign number RRM 022 shall consist of a continuous white line approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide.

(3) Traffic sign number RRM 023 shall consist of a broken white line consisting of segments not less than 100 millimetres and not more than 150 millimetres wide, approximately 750 millimetres long and spaced approximately 750 millimetres apart.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI182Y1997.html

S.I. No. 182/1997: ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997

Cycle Tracks

14. (1) Where traffic sign numbers RUS 009 or RUS 009A and either RRM 022 or RRM 023 [cycle track] are provided, the part of road to which they relate shall be a cycle track.

(2) The periods of operation of a cycle track may be indicated on an information plate which may be provided in association with traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A.

(3) All pedal cycles must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.

(4) Where a cycle track is one-way, pedal cycles shall be driven in the same direction as traffic on the side of the roadway adjacent to the cycle track is required to travel.

(5) When a cycle track is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left hand side of each lane.

(6) ( a ) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track.

( b ) A reference in sub-article (a) to driving along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

( c ) This sub-article shall not apply to a vehicle being driven for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI181Y1997.html

S.I. No. 181/1997: ROAD TRAFFIC (SIGNS) REGULATIONS, 1997.

Cycle Track.

26. (1) Traffic sign number RRM 022 shall

(a) indicate the right hand edge of a cycle track where it forms part of a roadway, and

(b) consist of a continuous white line approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide.

(2) Traffic sign number RRM 023 shall

(a) indicate the right and left hand edges of a cycle track where it forms part of a footway, and

(b) consist of continuous white lines approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide and spaced approximately 1 metre apart.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA14Y1993.html

ROADS ACT, 1993

Cycleways.

68.(1) In this section "cycleway" means a public road or proposed public road reserved for the exclusive use of pedal cyclists or pedal cyclists and pedestrians.

( 2 ) ( a ) A road authority may construct (or otherwise provide) and maintain a cycleway.

( b ) Where a road authority constructs or otherwise provides a cycleway it shall by order declare either

(i) that the cycleway is for the exclusive use of pedal cyclists, or

(ii) that the cycleway is for the exclusive use of pedal cyclists and pedestrians.

( c ) Any person who uses a cycleway in contravention of an order under paragraph (b) shall be guilty of an offence.

S.I. No. 273/1998: ROAD TRAFFIC (SIGNS) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1998
    S.I. No. 274/1998: ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1998

'cycle track' means part of a road, including part of a footway or part of a roadway, which is provided primarily for the use of pedal cycles;

S.I. No. 181/1997: ROAD TRAFFIC (SIGNS) REGULATIONS, 1997.
    S.I. No. 182/1997: ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997

"cycle track" means a part of a road including part of a footway or part of a roadway which is reserved for the use of pedal cycles and from which all mechanically propelled vehicles other than mechanically propelled wheelchairs are prohibited from entering except for the purpose of access;

ROADS ACT, 1993

"footpath" means a road over which there is a public right of way for pedestrians only, not being a footway;

"footway" means that portion of any road associated with a roadway which is provided primarily for use by pedestrians;

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 1961

"mechanically propelled vehicle" means, subject to subsection (2) of this section, a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including
    ( a ) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,
    ( b ) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical,
    but not including a tramcar or other vehicle running on permanent rails;

"pedal bicycle" means a bicycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon;

"pedal cycle" means a vehicle which is a pedal bicycle or pedal tricycle;

"pedal cyclist" means a person driving a pedal cycle;

"pedal tricycle" mean a tricycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon;

It's all very Orwellian, the many changes of the law, mostly by stealth & without any consultation.

Would your reading be that it is compulsory to use a 'cycle track' where provided, but not a 'ROADS ACT, 1993 cycle way' (i.e. where pedestrians & cyclists required to occupy the same space)?

Looking at S.I. No. 274/1998: What about where a car or truck is illegally parked in a cycle track, is it lawful for a a cyclist to leave the track to get past?

The absence of minimum widths must be a deliberate omission.

I think the regs are absurd.

Would your reading be that it is compulsory to use a 'cycle track' where provided, but not a 'ROADS ACT, 1993 cycle way' (i.e. where pedestrians & cyclists required to occupy the same space)?

Yes you must use a cycle track, I haven't been able to find a legal reason for a cyclist to be forced to use a cycleway.
    Looking at S.I. No. 274/1998: What about where a car or truck is illegally parked in a cycle track, is it lawful for a a cyclist to leave the track to get past?

Yes. Using the correct signals and yeilding to traffic would be advised.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI274Y1998.html

Non-application of certain Prohibitions and Restrictions

5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

Here's another nice section.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA14Y1993S67.html

ROADS ACT, 1993

Road users' duty of care.

67.—(1) It shall be the duty of a person using a public road to take reasonable care for his own safety and for that of any other person using the public road.

(2) It shall be the duty of a person using a public road to take all reasonable measures to avoid—

( a ) injury to himself or to any other person using the public road,

( b ) damage to property owned or used by him or by any other person using the public road.

• Advertisement

The best way to pass these obstructions is to move out (carefully) and early.

The driver of the illegally parked vehicles could be summoned under regulation 67 for causing an unsafe situation? Also any following vehicle, having observed the situation, fails to make room for the cyclist to overtake the obstruction?

>>67.—(1) It shall be the duty of a person using a public road to take reasonable care for his own safety and for that of any other person using the public road.<

Can the City Council be fined for building cycle tracks that are unsafe and not in compliance with the resgulations?

Can the City Council be fined for building cycle tracks that are unsafe and not in compliance with the resgulations?

I don't think so, an injunction or court order might be an option.

If you have an accident you have more options.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA41Y1961.html

CIVIL LIABILITY ACT, 1961

Liability of road authority for failure to maintain public road.

60.(1) A road authority shall be liable for damage caused as a result of their failure to maintain adequately a public road.

(2) In proceedings under this section, it shall be a defence for the road authority to prove that

( a ) they had given sufficient warning that the road was a danger to traffic, or

( b ) they had taken reasonable precautions to secure that the road was not a danger to traffic, or

( c ) they had not a reasonable opportunity to give such warning or take such precautions, or

( d ) the damage resulted from a wrong committed by any person other than the road authority.

(3) In determining whether a road was adequately maintained, regard shall be had in particular to

( a ) the construction of the road and the standard of maintenance appropriate to a road of such construction,

( b ) the traffic using the road,

( c ) the condition in which a reasonable person would have expected to find the road.

(4) In determining whether a road authority had a reasonable opportunity to give warning that a road was a danger to traffic or had taken reasonable precautions t
    o secure that a road was not such a danger, regard shall be had to the standard of supervision reasonable for a road of such character.

(5) In this section

"road authority" means the council of a county, the corporation of a county or other borough and the council of an urban district;

"public road" means a road the responsibility for the maintenance of which lies on a road authority and includes any bridge, pipe, arch, gulley, footway, pavement, fence, railing or wall which forms part of such road and which it is the responsibility of the road authority to maintain.

There is a nice plain english discription of negligence at.

http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Proinnsias.OCillin/lawcourse/tort/negligence.htm

Advertisement