Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Licence

• 25-08-2004 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Not too sure is this the right board but anyway. I got a letter from an post yesterday sayin that I've 7 days to purchase a tv licence or else........

Now I'm movin out of the house this weekend so it's a bit pointless in purchasing one for a tv I dont own.

What should I do?
    Ignore it or call in to the Post office tell them I dont live there any more. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

IANAL but AFAIK (dontcha just love the acronyms)

if they do decide to summons you, that summons would only be valid at your current address.

I suppose 'twould be no harm to ring them and tell them you are no longer living there. But then they would probably ask for the name of a current resident.

They don't seem terribly efficient at chasing up people. They are not helped by our data protection laws which mean they can't use many other sources of information to find out exactly who lives at any particular house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just ignore it, it takes months and months for them to start legal procedings, and if you don't live there anymore they can't do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Happened to me before. I just said that I was leaving that address, stopping off home for a few months as I'm leaving the country for a break, and would notify my new address when it happens.

If they ask for your new house owners name, decline to give them that information. Its none of your business, and none of theirs. Let them do their own thing for catching them - why should you help them screw a fellow Joe Public for a tv license?

no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I love their new ads - SHAME ON THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE A TV LICENCE!!

I really don't think there's such a big social stigma on tv licence avoiders as they'd like us to believe :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yeah the one where there siting down to dinner in your mans mams house and she takes the dinner away from him lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

just ignore them completely as a rule. i had just ignored them for years up 'til recently. when asked at the door if i had a tv, i'd just say no and goodbye. there is literally nothing they can do.
    this year though, i answered a ring on the buzzer through a ground floor window, stuck my head out and had to shout because i had the tv on so loud. snared! :(

i completely disagree with paying the license by on principle. may be slightly off topic but does anyone else not think that it should be optional for people who actually want RTE's ****e excuse for tv channels?

reruns of friends and embarrassing homemade programs are not what i expect from state-funded national broadcaster. (with advertisiing revenue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

RTE's ****e excuse for tv channels?
    maybe if everyone paid the licence they could afford nice new programs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

and give Pat Kenny and co an unnecessary pay rise

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Unpossible wrote:

...or afford to hire someone with some cop-on to do the scheduling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Unpossible wrote:

If that happened, they would just reduce the prices they charge to advertisers, and they'd moan for an increase in the liscence fee.:eek:

If they had more money, we'd have more celebrity farm-esq pap, and digital tv would be introduced in Dublin overnight, and they'd slap on Twink or some other annoying non-celebrity on a 24 hour never ending show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Thanx for the help folks.

I do know that RTE reduced their advertising rates lower than TV3's. That was a few months ago. Not very fair on TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

If that happened, they would just reduce the prices they charge to advertisers, and they'd moan for an increase in the liscence fee
    true.

BBC seems to be the same way, These ppl just seem to think;
    "Why bother trying, the government will help us anyway"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

I lived in a house in Ballsbridge for three years and never bothered with a TV license nor was asked for one (not that I can remember). Big security gates, practically impossible for the bastids to get in anyway.

Now I live in a new apt and the moment I moved in a fella came knocking and left a letter under the door about a tv license. Don't know how he got into the complex but decided to purchase one anyway as I didn't want the hassle of living in fear every time someone knocked on the door. I had NTL digital installed from day one and I firmly believe NTL must pass on this information to the TV licence inspectors.

Never felt so ripped off paying 152 euros for a TV licence, it's just plain not worth it.

Apologies for this being off-topic, just wanted to gripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 evilbubbs

DONT PAY YOUR T.V. LICENCE
    DONT ASSIST THE PEOPLE COMING TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE A T.V.
    DONT BOTHER WITH ANYTHING TODO WITH PAYMENT OF T.V. LICENCE

and hopefully after a few hundredthousand people do that, then maybe RTE will start to listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cork Exile wrote:
    Thanx for the help folks.

I do know that RTE reduced their advertising rates lower than TV3's. That was a few months ago. Not very fair on TV3.
    Not very fair? Its called "remaining competitive". Its a business thing. And since RTE no longer have the monopoly over Irish national television, they're now in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What about if you have a TV but do not have cable or an aerial? For example a TV just for DVDs or videos, do you still have to have a license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cork Exile wrote:
    Not too sure is this the right board but anyway. I got a letter from an post yesterday sayin that I've 7 days to purchase a tv licence or else........

Now I'm movin out of the house this weekend so it's a bit pointless in purchasing one for a tv I dont own.

What should I do?
    Ignore it or call in to the Post office tell them I dont live there any more. Any advice?
    If ur movin this weekend well when they get there you wont be there. and if its rented accomodation its the landlords problem. in any case tell the landlord about it or tell the next tenant to hide his television

FX Meister wrote:
    What about if you have a TV but do not have cable or an aerial? For example a TV just for DVDs or videos, do you still have to have a license
    Its a license to own and operate equipment thats capable of recieving/decoding television transmissions, so yes, you do need a TV license in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Why can't RTE become a subscription service costing the 152€ a year and completely scrap the licence? Let the government completely fund the costs of any encryption and receivers needed for the switch. That way RTE and TV3 would be on an equal playing field and those that don't watch RTE wouldn't have to pay their 152€ fee. RTE would also be bound by similar conditions as TV3 with regard to showing home made content. Then we would get the real value of RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Imposter wrote:
    Why can't RTE become a subscription service costing the 152€ a year and completely scrap the licence? Let the government completely fund the costs of any encryption and receivers needed for the switch. That way RTE and TV3 would be on an equal playing field and those that don't watch RTE wouldn't have to pay their 152€ fee. RTE would also be bound by similar conditions as TV3 with regard to showing home made content. Then we would get the real value of RTE.

They wouldn't get as much money that way. Useless muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

MY understanding is that if you have a receiver you need a licence...that includes radios etc.

So if you watched TV on a monitor (no tuner) via the internet/dvd/vcr and had no radio's then you dont need a licence is my understanding.

I agree that you should not have to pay for a licence if you dont watch bog1, bog2 or tna-bog.

Oasis says:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/public_utilities/telecommunications/tv_licences.html#id3110035
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Unpossible wrote:

Simple answer to that, FCUK OFF...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Ardent wrote:
    They wouldn't get as much money that way. Useless muppets.
    Exactly, that's why we'd see what their real value is. I don't think we need a National Broadcaster anymore but some regulations are needed with regard to home based programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

I'd like to setup an internet TV station...and just buy in stuff and get people to pay per view....could be interesting if you moved away from soaps and crap towards a more training based content. Lots of companies but together CBT stuff they dont need or dont care about anymore. Also lots of presentations given by companies, trade shows, conferences that might be off interested to someone.

Anyone think this might generate a buck or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I have the same delimma at the moment. My house is up for sale, there's actually an offer in that I'm going to accept the coming week or so. My licence is out for the past couple of months and I be damned if I have to pay e152 for a couple of months max. I've actually taken home my Big telly & satellite dish. He called last week but I wasn't there. He left a note in the letterbox.
    When he comes next time & I tell him I have no t.v. will he just leave me alone then, or do you think he won't believe me and hound me again?

I hate this crap, waiting for him to call every evening. What a bloody country when you have to be worrying about this crap. Oh, my tv&sat is at my parents place where there is a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mrhappy42 wrote:
    MY understanding is that if you have a receiver you need a licence...that includes radios etc. So if you watched TV on a monitor (no tuner) via the internet/dvd/vcr and had no radio's then you dont need a licence is my understanding.
    So what happens if you have internet TV and a radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I pay for RTE twice and I know why
    cos I got sky
    cos i got sky
    cos i got sky

Why dont they just encript RTE and let those that want it subscribe to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

It's like charging everyone within a two mile radius of the Pheonix park €50 because they could hear the RedHot Chilli Peppers playing last june... weather they're RHCP fans or not.
    Complete bollocks all together.

I can't remember the last time I watched RTE1 or 2.

They should re-write the TV license law to:
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving an RTE television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence.
    Then people can have their equipment made incapable of recieving whatever bands/frequencies RTE broadcast on.
    There again, it'd become completely unenforcable... yeah just make it digital ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement