Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB only available option?

• 25-08-2004 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I’ve been told by eircom that my line doesn’t qualify for broadband.
    I guess this means the exchange isn’t setup for BB.

Does anyone know if this means Irish broadband wireless is my only option?
    They say they should have coverage in my area in 3 months.
    But from reading previous posts I’m not sure about them.

Are there any other recommended options, if my considerations are reliability, speed, good contention ratio and good customer care.
    In that order.
    And I don’t want to spend more that €50 per month.

Cheers e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

eske wrote:
    They say they should have coverage in my area in 3 months.

Haa ha haH haHHHHHH haaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaah <splutther> ! .

IBB will ALWAYS have coverage EVERYWHERE in 3 months, it used to be 2 months but inflation has obviously set in somehow . They have been promising 2 or 3 months on the Northside of Dublin for OVER a year now .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

eske wrote:
    You don't say where you are, but if you're in Dublin, they 3 basic options are Eircom phone lines, NTL cable, or wireless. If the first two aren't an option, then wireless is all that's lft, IBB aren't the only wireless provider in the Dublin area, but they are currently the most active.

They're curently growing, with increased customer support coverage, and improved service options, but who knows what the story will be in 3 months time. If they are actually servicing your area in 3 months time, ask again, and see what the state of play is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

In my experience of IBB they use the same old couple of weeks/months to hook your interest and then they tell you "imminently" get you to sign up and then when the due date for installation goes by and no news/contact you have to call their support line to hear the excuse "there has been a problem with that installation etc etc" followed by the speal and then they round it off with a "we should be able to have the site up and running in " you guessed it 2 to 3 months.
    But hey I'm just a little bitter. Enquired about IBB access in March was told it would be a few weeks before I could get access now it is end of Aug and I have been told it will be another few weeks. They are in danger of making Eircon look professional which is some feat.

We need to start a beard growing competition to see how fast the company operate. When they say 2 to 3 weeks stop shaving in 2 to 3 weeks. then don't shave until you are given access. Spend the time between practicing your ZZ Top dance moves.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I rang IBB last October about Wireless in Quarryvale and I was told that no it wasn't possible because Lucan's "in a bit of a dip" and that was that, even though my house was well within their coverage maps. She told me that Ripwave should be available on the clondalkin transmitter by March (2004). Ha!

I was almost considering getting them to come out and do a LOS test, but now NTL are here, and I have them...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What area are u in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

I'm in Dalkey.
    I believe with NTL cable you need to sign up for the TV offering too. I'm not interested as I just got sky+.
    And eircom isn't available.......
    So I don't have much choice but to wait for IBB to get their act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eske wrote:
    I'm in Dalkey.
    I believe with NTL cable you need to sign up for the TV offering too. I'm not interested as I just got sky+.
    And eircom isn't available.......
    So I don't have much choice but to wait for IBB to get their act together.
    Do you currently use your home phone line for voice calls, or just for internet?
    Could you go without a landline?

If so, you should go with NTL, and cancel your eircom line.

seamus wrote:
    Do you currently use your home phone line for voice calls, or just for internet?
    Could you go without a landline?

If so, you should go with NTL, and cancel your eircom line.

Still use the landline quite a lot for voice calls, unfortunately. Otherwise would welcome the thought of cancelling my eircom account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Can you get NTL broadband, though? If you can, use VoIP and get rid of the Eircom line.

IBB in Dalkey doesn't sound very likely but who knows. Can you see Three Rock or Windgates (far end of Bray Head)? If you do, maybe you can convince them to do a signal test.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Can you get NTL broadband, though? If you can, use VoIP and get rid of the Eircom line..

Not sure if NTL available. Have emailed them, awaiting response.
    VoIP though - don't know a huge amount about it but the last time I looked at it the quality was kinda crap. Mind you that's several years ago.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    Can you see Three Rock or Windgates (far end of Bray Head)?

Nope can't see either, but I didn't think you needed line of site with all IBB products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Highly unlikely NTL broadband is available in Dalkey now, but it may be in the future.

You need to be near a transmitter to possibly use those NLOS products and they don't seem to work particularly well then either, but with 5.8Ghz you can be quite far away so long as you have LOS, like 10-20km even though IBB seems to like to limit distance to about 4km. I would have thought that Dalkey would be quite difficult to cover with wireless broadband so I wouldn't have thought that would be a priority area.

I don't have a huge experience with VoIP but it works reasonably well the few times I've used it. NTL also used to do a voice over cable product that used circuit switching but maybe they've discontinued it.

Advertisement