Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think is the best way to implement a bi-Carmel system?

Options
  • 25-08-2004 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this and was wondering how I would like to see our Senate and Dáil work.

If I understand it correctly the current system works like this. Either House can introduce a Bill, except a money bill only the Dáil can do that, where it is debated then passed to the other house where it is amended. Then if both houses accept the bill as amended it is deemed to be passed. However, I don’t think that the Senate can stop a bill or force an amendment if the Dáil doesn’t want it to.

The Dáil are elected by the people the Senate are elected by a selective few. The senate are supposed to be sort of experts in different fields and have other jobs; some TDs have other jobs as well.

What I was thinking about is this system the best or even good enough?

I was considering questions like:-

Should both Houses be popularly elected?
    I think so.

What powers should each house have to stop or force a bill to be stopped or amended?
    I was thinking that each house could have the power to make amendments and if the bill as amended is not accepted by both houses each house creates its own version and it be but the people is referendum to decide.

Or

One house could propose that a bill be created and create a brief that they then pass to another house that creates the bill as per the brief. The bill is then given back the other house which will review the bill and create another brief for amendments or pass the bill.

Should TDs and Senators be allowed have other Jobs?
    I think that if we’re paying them thousands, I think its about €70,000 a year that should be there full time and sole concern.

Also I was think of other things that might improve our system, by they way what I have written above probably has lots or problems but I was only thinking about it for a while so don’t expect them to be fool proof. I would be interested in hearing what ideas other people have on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Whats a bi-Carmel system? Do you mean bi-caramel (ummm.... sweeties)

...or do you mean you mean bicameral? From the Latin "camera" meaning room or chamber?

But to get back on topic the senate should be elected by universal mandate like the Dail and the Presidency or it should not exist. Some system where election for the Senate is run in parallel with Presidential elections might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If both TDs and Senators were elected the same way, why would you bother to have a two-house system at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I was to beleive TD's earned a wage of around €160,000 a year , although I may be getting confused with just ministers , but I know some of our elected politicians are earning a fee similerto this .

Advertisement