Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

802.11b & 802.11g - Speed differences with broadband?

• 25-08-2004 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I've just been looking into setting up a wireless system and have noticed considerable price differences between 802.11b and 802.11g hardware.

I was just wondering where you would notice (real world) speed differences between 802.11b (11kb/s) and 802.11g (54 kb/s) systems using a standard broadband connection? e.g. downloading/gaming etc.

Any info would be great,

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

802.11b is 11Mb/s which is probably a tad faster than your broadband.

if you want to go more than 300m then 802.11b is best and besides g will drop back to 11Mb if there is noise or a poor signal path - if it's very noisy both b and g will drop down to 5.5 / 2/ 1Mb/s - so g is only of benefit in ideal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

DC, unless you're one of the lucky few on the fibre DSL trial, you won't notice any difference in speed with your internet access through either of these types of wireless router. You quoted the speeds incorrectly - it is 11 Mbps for b and 54 MBps (not kbps) for g. Both of these speeds are much faster than your typical eircom DSL line (512 kbps max) so the DSL line is the bottleneck, not the wireless connection.

If you buy a G router, it is backwards compatible with B access cards and I believe (hearsay) that the range is greater with B than G. I have a G router and set up a cheap B card in my laptop while waiting for upgrade to a G capable Centrino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for the replies lads. So basically, given my setup, there's no advantage to having the 'g' spec. hardware.

@Stugots - sorry, yes Mb/s is what meant :)

DC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dcGT wrote:
    Thanks for the replies lads. So basically, given my setup, there's no advantage to having the 'g' spec. hardware.

@Stugots - sorry, yes Mb/s is what meant :)

DC.

There is an advantage if you transfer data between PC's on the network via wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rew wrote:
    There is an advantage if you transfer data between PC's on the network via wireless.
    You're also future proofing yourself to a degree. I know personally, if I had bought 802.11b hardware, I'd probably find myself upgrading in a year to g, as I integrated more services into a home LAN, and upgraded my broadband connection.
    Also wireless has a much lower throughput than conventional cabled comms. Wireless has to contend with interference, signal strength and other forms of overheads, so in reality, throughput (the amount of actual data that goes through) rates at around half of the actual speed. 802.11b typically has a throughput of 5.5Mbits (Around 600KB per second), whereas 802.11g does around 24Mbits (around 2.5MB/s). It won't be long, 5 years at most, before the b standard becomes completely obsolete, and considered a painfully slow way to transmit data.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

seamus wrote:
    It won't be long, 5 years at most, before the b standard becomes completely obsolete, and considered a painfully slow way to transmit data.

802.11n is due in the near future (next year or so) which will blow 11g out of it as well. Id spend the mony on 11g gear as the price diferance isnt much and all the 11g kit tends to have more features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Some good points there lads, thanks!
    I've ordered the 11g spec :)

Cheers,

DC.

Advertisement