Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"16:9 Compatible" Projectors - wazzat then?

• 25-08-2004 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all
    What does "16:9" compatible mean in the context of projectors - I can't find a clear definition
    I'm guessing it's just a 4:3 projection with a 16:9 image shrunk to fit inside it

Can anybody throw any light on this (har har)?
    Thanks
    Kinch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd assume it means it can display 16:9 video in the proper aspect ratio, e.g. widescreen DVD videos and whatnot. I wouldn't say it would shrink it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Martin1974

Correct.
    It means it'll put the image at the maximum with causing black bars on the top and bottom of image, just as it would happen on 4:3 TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Martin1974 wrote:
    Correct.
    It means it'll put the image at the maximum with causing black bars on the top and bottom of image, just as it would happen on 4:3 TV.

Fraid not.

It means a native 16:9 aspect ratio. No borders on 16:9 content, but side borders (or streched) on 4:3 content. I know because I have one :cool:

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It means a native 16:9 aspect ratio. No borders on 16:9 content, but side borders (or streched) on 4:3 content. I know because I have one

The original question was . .
    What does "16:9" compatible mean in the context of projectors . .

I think Martin 1974's explanation was correct. A true 16:9 aspect would display black to the left and right of a 4:3 aspect just like a wide screen TV, A 4:3 aspect would display black bands top and bottom for 16:9 aspect images just like a standard 4:3 TV set. 16:9 compatible sound like it can manage the widescreen format like most 4:3 TV's a bit like a TV being NTSC compatible.

I'm looking for a projector myself at the moment and it appears anything that has a true 16:9 chip is pretty expensive. PC Presentation projectors (4:3) are in abundance - and cheap - but lack the necessary input connectors i.e. Component video.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KinchTheBlade

I'm going to mail the distributor and ask for a definition - that "compatible" word is a bit disconcerting - will let you know when I know

cheers
    Kinch

• Advertisement
Advertisement